Schulich (York univ) applications and admits - 2008 batch

Hi every, I had applied to schulich school of busines for fall 2008 batch and have got an admit in the same…is there any one else who have applied for the same course and have got an admit ? Thanks Sagar

Hi every,

I had applied to schulich school of busines for fall 2008 batch and have got an admit in the same....is there any one else who have applied for the same course and have got an admit ?

Thanks
Sagar

Hi every,

I had applied to schulich school of busines for fall 2008 batch and have got an admit in the same....is there any one else who have applied for the same course and have got an admit ?

Thanks
Sagar

Hi Sagar,

Congrats on the admit....Even I am very keen on schulich and will be applying by 30th Dec....My application is almost ready ... Need some information from yur side! By when have they asked you to submit the 2500$ locking fees?? Is it after the scholarship decisions are made or before that??
Hi every,

Thanks
Sagar

And it will be a great help , if you could share yur profile....My Profile is as below:

GMAT : 700 , TOEFL : 112 , Work Ex ERP Consulting 2.3 yrs ( 3 yrs by fall 08 )..

Hi guys,
Like u i too was considering to apply to Schulich.But i was a bit sceptical of all Canadian schools.So before i put in the application i did a bit of researching on Schulich.
I had done my GMAT prep thru a similar forum called Scoretop.I am pasting below the feedabck from an IIT grad who did his MBA from Schulich.This is what he had to say:
This forum is with regard to Schulich School of Business, York University, Canada.
First, some background. I worked at multinational corporation for 4 years, and graduated from IIT 5 years ago. I question whether to apply to U.S schools vs Canadian and I heard positive things about Schulich. Even though, I was accepted by 3 US schools and 2 Cdns, I accepted Schulich. Worst decision of my life!!!
Schulich is immigrant school that recruits only foreign students/immigrants for high tuition fee!! Almost all students in class (Pakistan, Phillippines, Chinese, India) cannot speak English!! Because of the reputation, few local Canadians (Whites, other) choose to attend the school. And as result, few recruiters decide to recruit from there because of this fierce reputation! Far better is Rotman (Toronto) and Ivey (Western) for Canada who gains top recruiters - financial consulting, investment banking etc.
But still there is still problem of rampant discrimination in Canada. Call the land of opportunity by some, opportunities are far from similar for white Canadian vs. immigrant. Same white doing same job, with exact same education, and exact same credentials is paid $30000 more each year. Please refer to www.notcanada.com. In the U.S it does not work like this!
In my case, I graduate from the school with honours specialization Finance, and am offered only jobs range from $50000-$55000/yr. And no US companies will even consider me! Average salary is $95000 at Rotman and Ivey (all whites, few foreign students I know earns $65000), and salary is $160000+ at top 30 US schools. What make me very sad is I spent $85000 Cdn for Tuition and Board and have big debt load.
GUYS! With good exchange rate (1 Can = 1.08 US) why CONSIDERR to go to Cdn school? Wake up and smell it! USA USA USA!! There really is no better time than NOOW! If I can wake up and do all again, I would go to USA!! Wayyy more opportunity - recruiters and large companies, less discrimination in workplace, FAR higher salary, and less taxes!
Here is LATEST financial times 2007 figures. York has slipped from 18th to 49th, biggest drop of any school on the list . Best of luck! Subin Khatri.
I hope this will help u come to a better decision.

hi guys..

I too have an admit from schulich for fall08.

My profile:

760/M/ IT - 4 years by Fall08

You have 6 weeks to confirm your admission to schulich from the admission decision date.

Scholarship decisions are made after you confirm your admission.

hi guys..

I too have an admit from schulich for fall08.

My profile:

760/M/ IT - 4 years by Fall08

You have 6 weeks to confirm your admission to schulich from the admission decision date.

Scholarship decisions are made after you confirm your admission.

Hey thats bad ya..they should have informed you abt the scholarship before hand...anyways..whts yr take?? are yu keen on schulich?

Hi All,

I been also admitted to this Schulich school. Did defer the admit at Jan. I did the loads of researching and decided AGAINST going to the school. Here is some of what I discover.. of all the University in Canada, Schulich has by far worst reputation.

FROM SCORETOP:

Hi Sailesh. In my opinion any of top 50 business schools in States have far better opportunities. Schools are only as good as countries in which they operate. Unless of course they are true "global" universties ie. INSEAD, London School of Business, and can help you secure jobs outside the country (none of cdn universities are really global - despite claims to be) The market and economy in US and the QUALITY and QUANTITY of jobs in US is far greater than Canada - in large part due to presence of large multinational companies hiring - often with multiple offers to grads. Canada is sooo small and all domestic, "racist" companies.
When you consider present exchange rate (today 1 CAN = 1.1 US) , salary rates in CAN vs US after graduation, discrimination problem in Canada (www.notcanada.com) and fact that graduates from Canada cant find jobs in US .. it really is simple. Go to the US guys! If only one of you can learn from my mistake! .
One other thing to add. Always look at reputation of schools outside of the business school. Schools like MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia and even some lesser school like Duke, Cornell, University of North Carolina etc have fabulous academic reputation outside the business school. York's only decent program in entire university of 50000+ students is its business school. Otherwise its considered one of most disregarded and ridiculed academic institutions in all of Canada, perhaps North America. A school's reputation is only as good as the foundation it lies on. And only "decent" program has slid and even two better Cdn MBA schools has come from behind and trumped it!!

CDN student response:

Very interesting post..
I've always had very strong doubts about the academic and scholarly reputation of York University as an institution. People in Canada say that "if you can hold a fork, you can succeed at York." However, I have always felt that Schulich is somewhat of a good school. Guess Schulich's reputation is following that of all York's other schools..
http://rankings.ft.com/pdf/global-mba-rankings.pdf

SubinK:
I am very happy you read the forum! I only hope the best for all Scoretopians - and would consider an injustice for another rising Indian to make similar mistake!
As for your post geecee, I disagree on age factor. No strong correlation between average age of entry and career risk. Some of best business school in the world have young student body. I would focus more on industry specialization (what you want to do in future) and quality of jobs in country where you attend.
DO NOT attend Schulich school at York University!!!!! It would not even be worth if they gave you education FOR FREE!! I strongly discourage studies in Canada too. USA is best, and as dtal says UK is good too (abundant opportunity, MOBILITY, better starting salary etc) Please pass message to all colleagues, peers, and family b/c don't want other Indians making same mistake.

Also in other sites I found:

Rotman tops in Canada, Ivey a close second, Schulich NOWHERE close.
http://rankings.ft.com/pdf/global-mba-rankings.pdf

OTHER RESPONSES:

Again Schulich (York University) continues its tumble in the global MBA rankings scene. I am astounded at how low the Schulich MBA graduate salary really is!! The salary is dismal - forget for a tier 1, 2, 3, school but for even a tier 5 school. There are many reasons for this- based on what I've heard from peers and colleagues here in Bay Street, Toronto. First is a very high number of mediocre/poor international students (74%) that discourages local business students from attending the institution. Second is its pool of 'underclass' domestic applicants who haven't accomplished anything of significance in their working lives (often with no work experience at all)

If you think about it, there's a process of self selection that goes on when candidates are looking at what MBA schools to attend. Based on their current situation, and position, they look for a school that will drastically improve their salary/job prospects (afterall they're investing a great deal of time, not to mention money). The higher the ending salary, the higher the quality of applicants - it's just that simple folks. If one is happy graduating and earning this 78K; the candidates that apply to Schulich certainly haven't accomplished much. Using myself as an example, I have an undergrad from Queen's and am earning just 15K short of their 'graduates' salary, 2 years out of school. Why would I want to go there?

YET ANOTHER AT THE SCHOOL:

As far as "polish goes", I think that is subjective. There were many students in my Schulich MBA class that I thought to myself "how the heck did this person get in the program" and it did make me cringe thinking this person had the same degree as me and would be going out to the world and potentially lessen the reputation of the school (in reference to some of 75%+ international students who can't even speak or write proper english)

Sorry to fill the forum as much. Give some considering to these. All cant be untrue!!! Best of luck in whatever u do!!

Hi All,

I was planning to apply to Schulich but after reading all this I am a bit confused.
I tried to get in touch with the current student but was not successful.

But if we believe in what we see on Schulich website, the school don't seems to be as bad as it is made to sound in this post. There placement stats seems to be okay and some of the best Financial Services companies comes there.

My profile is 680/4.5, 3 years IT after that working on my own venture for last 3 months. CFA L2 cadidate.
Was thinking of Rotman but it is around 40% more expensive and getting a schol from Rotman is also much more difficult.

Have applied to HKUST, Babson ( Got a interview call) and UIUC.
Mostly intersted in Finance and Entreprenurship.

Expecting some clarity about the Schulich MBA from some current students if possible about the actual condition of the school.

Sam

Is the biggest mistake to ever believe wut a school tells you or may tell u sam_pune. They tell you and show u what they want you to think or feel. Company may recruit from there, sure. But how much? And how many company? I soon tell u my story!
The posts i come across after I research & after I submit my apps ($150 for domestic) :(. After reading, I make decison to go for York Campus for tour! Nothing like seeing for your own eyes right? Scoretop, redflagdeal, urch and testmagic poster are dead rite! MBA program is overflowed with immigrant presence. I casually walk to bookstore, Schulich library and food market there. Is unbelieveable! Even me I arrive in Canada 3 years ago to Ottawa and I never seen anything like it! In 2 mins I hear Mandarain, Cantonese, Tagalog, Tamil and Urdu! I sense also some East European languages?? And everyone study in own race group at library! This is not what I want my MBA to be.
I see why avg salary may be low in Schulich (compare to other school) and why scoretop poster may be rite about little job prospect & recruits.
Many ppl say Schulich need internationl students to filll seats as no domestics go there (& therefore why big scholarships for internationals, lower international tuition fee, greater marketing & advertising campaign abroad ) Tis may also be true! I glad I check forums as otherwise would not have done tour of Schulich campus & jus accepted! Is so easy to think great of institution when so far away and just looking at Schulich MBA books but is all a big scam. Pls take tour of campus b4 making such big decision. You see for yourself!
I make decision to reject my admission. Will now apply at Rotman/Queen's (want to stay in Canada) :wow: :wow:

Will now apply at Rotman/Queen's (want to stay in Canada) :wow: :wow:

I donno... I saw you post in the Rotman thread trying to discourage prospective candidates to Rotman with your notcanada.com propaganda (http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/international-indian-mba-schools-accepting/13228-admitted-rotman-business-school-toronto-54.html#post919900) .... and here you are saying that you are gonna apply to Rotman.... I don't think people should value this guy's opinion too much....

Im only putting wut i see from other sites here. None of these opinion is my own! Since when is asking what i see on other site tru propaganda? I am trying to learn, ask question, and share my knowledge only? Ppl think I speak of my experience but this is others experience. I only share wut I learn from other forum.

I recently visit Schulich school after reading these because want to see for myself. These other posters is right. Sorry if u feel in this way on 'propaganda'. If u are in Toronto go visit and see for yourself if is untrue. I made trip from Ottawa. -- Karan Gandhi

If u are in Toronto go visit and see for yourself if is untrue. I made trip from Ottawa. -- Karan Gandhi

I am a Rotman student and have friends from Schulich... I have not met a single person who driving cabs after studying in the IITs, Schulich or Rotman neither are the folks crying over their decision to join Schulich, Rotman or any canadian school...

In the Rotman thread you said "Canada is not for you/You will apply only to US and UK schools" and now you say "You want to stay in Canada and apply to Rotman and Ivey".... I cant help but think your sense of information is misguided... the notcanada.com discussion has come up before and I don't think it paints a correct picture about the scene in Canada at all....

Hey guys. I just stumbled upon this post and thought I'd drop in a few cents. Word of caution: I am currently an Ivey MBA student (so may be a bit biased heheh). For Canadian schools the pecking order is as follows.

Rotman/Ivey>Queen's>UBC/Schulich>Mcgill/WLU/Mcmaster etc.

Rotman is a world top 10 finance school & the best finance school in Canada (MBA,MFin), Ivey is known for its case based teaching (and is tops for Management Consulting, and IBanking) and Schulich is known for its marketing and advertising program.

Based on what I have heard from three recruiters and current students at the school, gadhiK may in fact be right! Schulich has just begun to face some serious turmoil. Based on my understanding, recruiters are increasingly turning a blind eye to the school. They are finding that most (not all) of Schulich's grads are not "employment ready". Major financial institutions, brokerage houses, venture capital and management consulting firms major gripe: grads lack strong communication (negotiating, client facing, and networking skills) , leadership, and creativity. These companies are looking for the most poised...intelligent...confident..and polished grads and are now bypassing Schulich and looking further down in the pecking order (MAC/WLU) for them.

Whether this is in fact a problem with the school curricula (moulding the student) a problem with their selectivity standards (no interview, very low TOEFL scores for Chinese students, disproportionately high international student body etc) is unknown! What is known is that it is causing significant harm to the reputation of the school.

I believe the 34 school drop in the Financial Times ranking, and the sharp drop in AVG salary from '06 to '07 can both be attributed to this... Take a close look at the research guys.

Lastly, and on a softer note, if Mr.Karan Gandhi was accepted to Schulich, I can only imagine what kind of standards they have! I could not understand a word you said dude!! HAHAHA, my GOSHHH!

What is these? I gain 640GMAT (4.0AWA) and have strong acads? Is wrong I gain admit to Schulich pool?
Is insulting for you?
What is everyone so evil? You belong to low caste exec?
I no longer come here. Everyone insult me if i only try and help.
You make own decision and see for yourself. If backfires badly, and no jobs or opps
dont say i dont warn you.
Karan.

So Is Smoothexecs Untouchable Or Sudras?
I wait and hear from you.
Is not nice wut you do and says! I only try and help here.

Is pictures I find on class 8 of schulich 2007 grad party. Is typical class in Schulich. You look ands then you find. Is true? Is not what Schulich guide show! I go to school & see it in library , & food mall. Go first , then talk! None of these ppls talks in English in librarys & is talk in Cantonese and Mnadarin and Tagalog! Is all East European immigrant, Chinese Immigrant, some Tamil, Arab and Indian.
Is true is Schulich depend on internationals student to fills seat because most Cdns go elsewhere?

Is Barricuda "Trust me I know what I am doing" is why you go Rotman not Schulich???

Is Barricuda "Trust me I know what I am doing" is why you go Rotman not Schulich???

Dude... I have no idea what your problem is... my problem with you is that you are painting a misery picture of Canada is general without getting your facts right (I am basically pissed that you keep bringing up the website notcanada.com on various threads in the forum).... If you had simply stated your opinion in about Canada and left it at that, it was fine.... but you go Canada bashing in the Rotman thread - trying dissuade candidates to join there... and then you come to the Schulich thread and say that you will be applying to Rotman yourself.... stop contradicting yourself.... although I think you have done enough damage for yourself.... I doubt there are going to be many takers for your posts... good luck..

p.s. no doubt I chose Rotman because it is the better school in my opinion, but not every person on this forum has admits from both schools to make a Rotman vs Schulich decision....

Is what others says on other forums! Not me! For millions times, I not bashing. I very very sad about this because peoples mistakes what I say and insult me for nothing (thinking I say this)! I jus paste my tough researching here and people turns and insults me for no reason!

I just cut &paste; to ask questions from Pagalguy user and share wut I learn! I post what others say about Canada to see opinions in Rotman (most active Canadian forum). about continue study here b/c Canada is what I do. Thats it. Last time I come to pagalguy. I tell you millionth time, these opinion not my own. Read forum with care before you speak.

Last if is ppl dont take advice is up to them. I only advise. I encurage people to go for campus tour first to get real picture b4 admitting.. It applies for all school. Bye Bye. Karan.