Saudi court orders blinding of Indian worker

A court in Saudi Arabia has said that an Indian worker’s eye be gouged out as punishment for partially blinding a Saudi national. Abdul Lateef Noushad, 34, of Kerala injured the Saudi citizen in a fight in 2003 and has been jailed for over t…

A court in Saudi Arabia has said that an Indian worker's eye be gouged out as punishment for partially blinding a Saudi national.

Abdul Lateef Noushad, 34, of Kerala injured the Saudi citizen in a fight in 2003 and has been jailed for over two years.

A court in the eastern coastal city of Damman where he worked at a petrol pump ordered the punishment. On appeal the case has been transferred to the capital Riyadh.

Clemency appeal

The Indian Embassy in Riyadh has appealed to authorities to pardon him.

Noushad's family in Thadikaadu village in Kollam district has indicated it will seek the help of state Chief Minister Oomen Chandy.

He was the only earning member and supported his family with Rs 8000 per month.

"We were told that his sponsors have offered compensation to the Saudi youth but we are shocked to learn about the sentence," said Noushad's father, a daily wager at a cattle market.

Indian community

The largest group of Indians working in the Gulf belong to Kerala - their number is estimated at 10 lakhs.

Saudi Arabia does not meet basic international human rights standards. A recent Human Rights Watch report said that many of the country's more than one million Indian migrants live in "conditions resembling slavery.

Which century are we living in?????

Which century are we living in?????

The century in which the following easily happens in a country like India

1) Death sentence to Dhananjoy Chatterjee
2) Almost multiple rapes everyday in the capital city (assuming that all the rapes get highlighted...which would not be true)
3) Where political corruption takes lives of those very soldiers who protect the civilians
4) where people kill each other just on the basis of religion (remember babri masjit episode)
5) Child labourers...(even you and I visit those very tea stalls employing the children... do you protest?? )

i can really go on and on... and this happens with each and every country....some times you come to know about it sometimes you dont...

Anyway you just cannt comment based on one side of the story... what was the actual fight... what the guy did to partially blind the saudi national... and if you live in another country better follow their rules right?.....so he should have known the penalty before fighting....

And if you talking about indian immigrants living in slavery... do you know that this salavery thing even happens in some parts of india... there is still lot of castism... and about Saudi Arabia not meeting basic international human rights standard.. I guess thats a BS thing... what happened when US attacked on Afghanistan and Iraq... about the behaviour of americans in Iraqi prisons... about the behaviour of pakistan towards captured indian soldiers in Kargil war....all this talk about international human rights etc is BS

so I guess its just that money rules... if you are economically indepedent you can make your own rules....

Ketan
@ketanm - even heard of the hindi idiom ' par updesh kushal bahu tere' ?! ( = its easier to preach something than to enact it)
the question is this - his eyes are to be gouged out ......doesnt that send shivers down ur spine??? may be he fought for the wrong reason with someone and it left the latter PARTIALLY blind......but it was done inadvertently......
this sentence is heinous to say the least.......

talking abt dhananjay chatterjee - though i dont approve of death penalty....but i hope u remember the case against him - rape and murder of a class 10 girl. and he was the guard of her buliding ....supposed to protect her. and it was an act which was planned meticulously.........he was aware of the consequences..............and he was given a more than fair trial.............lasting many years.

dont u think thr is a contradiction in ur post - on the one hand u are worried abt the increasing no of rapes in the capital and on the other hand u disapprove of the penalty given to the culprit!

stop generalising sir, this is an exceptional act of legal brutality.........

and dont compare indian culture with the saudi culture......riots are not a regular feature here(as suggested by ur post)....and we have lived rather amicably if u consider india's entire history........
dont use 'communalism' 'casteism' etc the way politicians do for their petty gains.........

i feel the judgement of this saudi court shud be confronted by the indian authorities......and that poor guy shud be protected........they can imprison him for many years..............but they cant make him blind..................

shame on those who support or inflict such a brutal judgement..........

Preaching....huh... exactly what you are doing .... re-read my post and just point out where i preached... also did i supported the punishment anywhere in my previous post:wow:... I just said you need to find out the real story....If a person from Indian origin is linked in London bombing... do you think Indian govt should go out and rescue that guy... (this guy may not be indian citizen...but there might be cases where indian citizens have done something wrong in other countries...)...I didnt said that guilty should not be punished.... and also i didnt voiced any opinion about whether the punishment given to the indian guy is right or wrong... I just said find the facts....... If you re-read my post... my entire point revolved around the question asked by i_m_listening as to "which century we are living in??".... and my point was this is happening everywhere... so what steps you and me are taking is more important.. than simply blaming the govt, system, authorities.. etc etc...

Ketan

2) Almost multiple rapes everyday in the capital city (assuming that all the rapes get highlighted...which would not be true)
Ketan

Okay... to further clarify the points....

I realised that reading these two points would imply a contradiction... I mentioned the first point to reiterate that those who talk about human rights just want publicity.... there are other ways to punish a rape criminal... ...

The second point I highlighted to show that these things happens...and will continue to happen until you and me take some action... however small those can be.....

Ketan

guys u r missing the point...

the idea to post this article was to invite suggestions from d junta to prevent this thing and not to get into a mindless debate...

@98tillidie & @ketanm - I respect ur views but as gandhi has rightly said
"an eye for an eye will make the whole world blind" - Give it a thought

the idea to post this article was to invite suggestions from d junta to prevent this thing and not to get into a mindless debate...

@98tillidie & @ketanm - I respect ur views but as gandhi has rightly said
"an eye for an eye will make the whole world blind" - Give it a thought

hmm... point taken... peace .....

So what can be done?

Ketan

hi frens,

Saudi courts decision to gouge out eye for an eye is barbaric, condemnable and reminds us of the horrible atrocities and Jungle Law of middle ages....

(this guy may not be indian citizen...

Ketan

@ketanm The guy Abdul is an Indian citizen, resident of kerala.

well coming to the point... What can be done....

In such cases there are two ways to save the alleged person:

the first thing is being done, Indian Embassy making an appeal for Royal clemency.

Saudi Arab follows the Muslim Law- Shariyat... an Eye for an Eye...
So according to law if the person against whom crime is committed, grants pardon to the alleged person, the alleged criminal is scot free.

Building a pressure on the sufferer (one whos eye got inadvertently damaged), creating awareness, n demonstrations in S. Arabia and in India could be some ways of mounting pressure.

we could even file a petition with Amnesty International. But this would require a world-wide publicity and awareness to fetch results.

We are writing sum good reports and caustic Editorial in our newspaper condemning the atrocities and backwardness of Law (or lawlessness) in Saudi Arabia.. Lets pass on this information 2 everyone and create awareness and save a fellow Indian frm out-dated mandates and rulings.

~Lass

hi,

ur anlysis was good. but the quesition revolves aruond the law of "eye-for-en-eye". this kind of law was practiced in the days of hammurabi. & saudi arabia is a country which is in 21st century practicing laws of medival history.

author's interests revolved around this point.and when the quesion is about Saudi Arabian laws. it is better to analyse 'Saudi Arabia'. her laws, human right violation, domestic violation, no voting rights to wemen etc.
rather than that of India. i share all ur analysis as the best. but we should analyse within the boundary.

keshav pai.

The century in which the following easily happens in a country like India

3) Where political corruption takes lives of those very soldiers who protect the civilians
4) where people kill each other just on the basis of religion (remember babri masjit episode)
5) Child labourers...(even you and I visit those very tea stalls employing the children... do you protest?? )

i can really go on and on... and this happens with each and every country....some times you come to know about it sometimes you dont...

Anyway you just cannt comment based on one side of the story... what was the actual fight... what the guy did to partially blind the saudi national... and if you live in another country better follow their rules right?.....so he should have known the penalty before fighting....

And if you talking about indian immigrants living in slavery... do you know that this salavery thing even happens in some parts of india... there is still lot of castism... and about Saudi Arabia not meeting basic international human rights standard.. I guess thats a BS thing... what happened when US attacked on Afghanistan and Iraq... about the behaviour of americans in Iraqi prisons... about the behaviour of pakistan towards captured indian soldiers in Kargil war....all this talk about international human rights etc is BS

so I guess its just that money rules... if you are economically indepedent you can make your own rules....

Ketan

hi,
sorry for forgetting to give original opinion. that was of 'ketan m #2'.
keshav.
hi,

ur anlysis was good. but the quesition revolves aruond the law of "eye-for-en-eye". this kind of law was practiced in the days of hammurabi. & saudi arabia is a country which is in 21st century practicing laws of medival history.

author's interests revolved around this point.and when the quesion is about Saudi Arabian laws. it is better to analyse 'Saudi Arabia'. her laws, human right violation, domestic violation, no voting rights to wemen etc.
rather than that of India. i share all ur analysis as the best. but we should analyse within the boundary.

keshav pai.

hi keshav n all,
this is wat I ws fearing. I knew sum of us wil again drag everyone towards mindless debate. Well I expected more to come, like sum ppl admonishing and criticing Shariyat n thn Muslims and then coming to discuss problems of terrorism. Well keshav in the days of hammurabi or to be very precise when Sahriyat laws were framed, there was a complete chaos in the society. People were butchers (dont take this literally man!), the society was in abyss, hundreds and thousands of idols were worshipped. To bring discipline and law in the society, it was essential to enact and enforce stringent laws and regulations.
And here Shariyat came.

As to existing enforcement of Shariyat Laws, I (wat I? everyone feels) feel taht they should be abandoned now as they are not congrous with the human rights.and international laws.

well well discussing Saudi Arabia, and Gulf countries in general, human rights violation wont serve the purpose. We wil get this chance perhaps in our GD. There we'll make full use of it. Lets chip in some efforts to help a fellow Indian. I kno all of us r vry busy taking sooo many exams... ( I hv to tk JMET n NMAT this Sunday:) ) Stil we can tk out a min out of our busy schedule and help.

Like Rohit aka estranged_gnrs started took initiative in IIFt petition can any one of us do the same n ask our frens, enemies, neighbiurs, our e-frens n al to sign it. Definitely sum one will come up with this.

Again quoting initiator of this thread

I kno this forum is full of Good Samaritans....

In hope
~Lass

PS: hey keshav thnx for u liked my analysis.