S3 Asia MBA - Anyone Game?

Guys, Am starting a new thread for the all new tri-country MBA starting in Fall 2008… The inaugural S3 Asia MBA will provide students with a global business education that will prepare them for senior leadership positions in majorbusi…

Guys,

Am starting a new thread for the all new tri-country MBA starting in Fall 2008....

The inaugural S3 Asia MBA will provide students with a global business education that will prepare them for senior leadership positions in majorbusiness locations in Asia and the world. It is the only program of its kind in the world, and offers the unique advantage of being a coherent program of study, business and cultural exposure to three dynamic economies in Asia - an unique and path-breaking venture.

You can access the site directly through A-MBA

Lets keep the information flowing on the this all new program....

Regards,
Abhinav

Some FAQs on the program: (Replies from Richard - NUS Singapore)
1. When does the course start and when do we need to report to Shanghai?
**Students will need to report to Shanghai, by 27 Aug at the latest. Orientation will be from 29 31 Aug 2008.

2. What is the course fees?

**The school fees are at S$49,500. These will be made payable in 3 installments. I am also pleased to inform you that the S$3000 acceptance fee will also be credited towards your tuition fees.

3. Visa requirements - all 3 countries? Do the universities assist with the Visa?
**Yes, you will need a student visa for all 3 cities. Yes, each university will send you an admissions package containing the information for your student visa application. You will receive your admissions package once you have submitted all the requirements indicated in the email from April.

4. Is Accomodation available at all 3 locations?
**Yes, each university will assist and give students a list of choices for accommodations. These will once again be part of the admissions package.

5. Program - any pre-coursework to be completed?

**No, there are no pre-coursework required for Fudan University, Korea University and NUS.

6. How do we go about with the joining formalities?

**Moving forward from here, kindly do submit all the requirements as indicated by my colleague, April, in her offer email below. After we have received all your documents and payment, our colleague, Mandy, from Fudan University will be sending you the admissions package containing documents which you need to complete with regards to your student visa, accommodations, etc. NUS shall also be sending you other documents to formalize your acceptance into the programme. Your MBA journey will then commence in late August with an orientation and your first semester in dynamic Shanghai, followed by the next semester in Seoul, and finally in Singapore.

Actually, most of the queries arise as these are not answered on the S3 Asia URL. Though, am sure this info would be updated in later stages.
**Thank you for your feedback on this. We shall work on this accordingly.

Well. I have been admitted as well. And my analysis till date tells me that its worth the risk.
Here's the million dollar question though !

"Who is willing to hire these graduates?"

Abhi, please send me a pm. We can probably exchange phone numbers and chat.

Frends,
Please keep me in lop as well for following :-

''please send me a pm. We can probably exchange phone numbers and chat''

Would be great to exchange views.
THanks,
Ashish

Well. I have been admitted as well. And my analysis till date tells me that its worth the risk.
Here's the million dollar question though !

"Who is willing to hire these graduates?"

Abhi, please send me a pm. We can probably exchange phone numbers and chat.

Few more FAQs:

The S3 Asia MBA is going to be a General MBA degree or we can opt for a specialization?
**It will be 2 general MBAs. There is no option for specialization currently.

Are there any scholarships or financial aid available to students?
**You may wish to apply for the NUS Study Awards, and these will be given out based on merit and need. As we are reviewing several applications, we will only be able to release the Study Award results by roughly June time.

Would we be joining on-going classes in the respective universities or would there be seperate classes held for the S3 batch?
**You will be joining on-going classes for the NUS and the Fudan University components. Currently, for the Korea University component, Korea University will hold a separate class for you.

Folks
just saw these posts and thought I'll chip.

I had applied to the Full-time NUS MBA in Dec 2007 and interviewed with them (phone) on 24 Mar. They came back in Apr saying that I am in the waitlist and wondered if I would consider the S3 MBA since I had expressed a strong interest to expand my career in Asia. I replied positively to that and now am awaiting to see if this is going to get confirmed or not.

Just throwing out a question to all of you - do you know of many folks (other than the ones on this thread) who have secured admission in the S3 MBA? Just wanted to know since this is the inaugural batch, how many folks might have gotten an admit.

Thanks

Folks
just saw these posts and thought I'll chip.

I had applied to the Full-time NUS MBA in Dec 2007 and interviewed with them (phone) on 24 Mar. They came back in Apr saying that I am in the waitlist and wondered if I would consider the S3 MBA since I had expressed a strong interest to expand my career in Asia. I replied positively to that and now am awaiting to see if this is going to get confirmed or not.

Just throwing out a question to all of you - do you know of many folks (other than the ones on this thread) who have secured admission in the S3 MBA? Just wanted to know since this is the inaugural batch, how many folks might have gotten an admit.

Thanks

Well, most of the FAQs that I could collect from the NUS guys are posted above. As for the batch size - there are gonna be approx. 60 students, so I guess there should be that many admits/acceptances by now....though I don't have any data on the student mix....

Guys....how about sharing our profiles and getting to know each other better...let me start off:

Undergrad: Electronics Engineering
Work Ex: Approx. 4 Years
Area: Retail Banking

Regards,
Abhinav

Abhinav

Are you taking up the offer?

I have decided to take it up. Profile:

Undergrad: Computer Science (Premier Institute, better than the IITs )
Work ex: 3 years in Enterprise software. Company is a Domain leader.

The batch size is not 60, it is just 20 for the first time.

Engg background
11 years experience in software services, current designation Delivery Manager, last 4 years in management.

I want to use the MBA to transition to roles in Business Development and gain better knowledge of Finance, Strategy, HR functions...etc

hey puys,.... whts tis all abt... nvr hrd of it.. but seems interesting..
saw th website... but thr isn't sufficient info.. is th appln process ovr.. wens th deadline(thnkin of applyn nxt yr).. n how to apply... went to nus site but cant fnd nethin related to s3....

Hello everyone,

I'm also on the waitlist for the NUS MBA Programme and the school has asked me to consider the S3 MBA since I have expressed a strong interest in doing business in Asia. I have about 4 years of experience in process engineering and product development in MNCs. I think that S3 MBA will be a great stepping stone for aspirants wanting to have a strong focus in Asia.. I am going to reply positively to the school.

Does anyone know the cost of accomodation and living in Shanghai and Seoul?? I am trying to do a cost benefit analysis.. 😃

Well, after discussion with a lot of people - and equal number of thought processes....I have taken up the offer...!!

hey puys,.... whts tis all abt... nvr hrd of it.. but seems interesting..
saw th website... but thr isn't sufficient info.. is th appln process ovr.. wens th deadline(thnkin of applyn nxt yr).. n how to apply... went to nus site but cant fnd nethin related to s3....

Well, this is going to be the first batch...I guess you've already missed the last date to apply....more info can be found under the Dual Degrees on the NUS site or through www.s3-asiamba.com.

Since this program is really new, they haven't posted too much of info on the site though...

Abhi, others,
anyone received the admissions package yet? I'm keen to know what it contains...esp the accomodation details and costs.

ok folks - I got the offer too and am taking it up.

Looking forward to see the others soon 😃 ...we should start sharing contact details to catch up before we go ahead to Shanghai

Hi friends,

I got a mail from nus yesterday givin me the s3 mba option or to remain waitlisted for nus mba. I just want your inputs before i take this decision. Can you tell me by what you have known, are the key advantages of taking up this program or may be you can levave me a private message mentioning ur contact details and i can then discuss it with u over the phone.

Thanks

Tushar

Tushar
It's a tough call. I have received an offer for the S3 MBA and am taking it for the following reasons (purely my own):
1) Asia, by all accounts, is a booming destination for international business. Direct exposure to various regions would help a lot
2) Social and cultural interaction with fellow students from the different universities helps not only in broadening our understanding, but also develops a strong networking community - which is one of the main reasons I want to do an MBA
3) I want to base myself eventually out of the APAC or South Asian regions, and therefore this MBA is very relevant to my future career prospects.
4) The institutes in the S3 MBA are renowned, at least within their particular countries for being among the best. NUS, as you know, is ranked in the Asia top 3 BSchools.

The concerns :
1) it's the first type, and we'll be the inaugural batch, so no one really knows what to expect.
2) would industry and business give the S3 MBA the same value as they would to a fulltime NUS MBA? (Some of my friends have said yes, they would).....
3) what kind of support from the universities can we expect in terms of career opportunities? For all that the univs say...only we'll get to know the ground reality

However, I have decided it's worth taking the risk....so might as well leave the frying pan and plunge into the fire.

:-)

Tushar
It's a tough call. I have received an offer for the S3 MBA and am taking it for the following reasons (purely my own):
1) Asia, by all accounts, is a booming destination for international business. Direct exposure to various regions would help a lot
2) Social and cultural interaction with fellow students from the different universities helps not only in broadening our understanding, but also develops a strong networking community - which is one of the main reasons I want to do an MBA
3) I want to base myself eventually out of the APAC or South Asian regions, and therefore this MBA is very relevant to my future career prospects.
4) The institutes in the S3 MBA are renowned, at least within their particular countries for being among the best. NUS, as you know, is ranked in the Asia top 3 BSchools.

The concerns :
1) it's the first type, and we'll be the inaugural batch, so no one really knows what to expect.
2) would industry and business give the S3 MBA the same value as they would to a fulltime NUS MBA? (Some of my friends have said yes, they would).....
3) what kind of support from the universities can we expect in terms of career opportunities? For all that the univs say...only we'll get to know the ground reality

However, I have decided it's worth taking the risk....so might as well leave the frying pan and plunge into the fire.

:-)

Hi Ashwin,

Thanks a lot for providin ur inputs ...Its a very tricky situation to be in ...lets see I am discussin it out with my seniors and peers..will disturb u again if I plan to take the S3 option.

Tushar