Rice 2011 Applicants

Hi people, I made it to rice . Will most likely be attending. Rice is located in Houston with most number of fortune 500 companies second only to NY and is a best best for recruiting for corporate finance and IB. Please let me know if any …

Hi people,

I made it to rice . Will most likely be attending. Rice is located in Houston with most number of fortune 500 companies second only to NY and is a best best for recruiting for corporate finance and IB. Please let me know if any one applying needs help with the application.

My profile

720/4.0/Career switcher(Corporate Finance)

Hi people,

I made it to rice with a 80% scholarship. Will most likely be attending. Rice is located in Houston with most number of fortune 500 companies second only to NY and is a best best for recruiting for corporate finance and IB. Please let me know if any one applying needs help with the application.

My profile

Congrats! brother...80% scholarship is interesting....I'm a Rice aspirant too....applying in 2nd round.....working on app right now..thanks for offering the helping hand..Could u pls tell exact dates in your case for the submission of app, submission of recos, interview call, actual interview, and final decision?

Hey jhonnyrip,

I too have got in to the Rice MBA program Class of 2013 with a similar scholarship and will probably be joining. Where are you based? We should probably meet up if you can or atleast do a Skype video call.

abhigup01 and all other applicants - Do let me know if I can be of help in anyway

My Profile - 4 yrs work experience in Strategy (Telecom, Oil and Gas and Hospitality)
GMAT - 730
TOEFL - 118
BTech (Electrical) - IIT

abhigup01 Says
Congrats! brother...80% scholarship is interesting....I'm a Rice aspirant too....applying in 2nd round.....working on app right now..thanks for offering the helping hand..Could u pls tell exact dates in your case for the submission of app, submission of recos, interview call, actual interview, and final decision?

Hi abhigup,

Submitted my app on 17 th October and sent in the recos by 25th. App was complete on 30th and was called for interview on 12th nov. Interviewed with a second year student. Was formal and quite conversational. Got a decision after that on 15th of dec. Hope this helps.

All the best with your app.

Hi,
Congrats to Johnnyrip and rals702,
Just want to know what u did for transcripts? Can we mail scan of official Marksheet?
I am not in India and it would be difficult to arrange it from my university!
Thnx

Hey jhonnyrip,

I too have got in to the Rice MBA program Class of 2013 with a similar scholarship and will probably be joining. Where are you based? We should probably meet up if you can or atleast do a Skype video call.

abhigup01 and all other applicants - Do let me know if I can be of help in anyway

My Profile - 4 yrs work experience in Strategy (Telecom, Oil and Gas and Hospitality)
GMAT - 730
TOEFL - 118
BTech (Electrical) - IIT

Congrats guys .... Rice is good for which domain ?
Hi people,

I made it to rice with a 80% scholarship. Will most likely be attending. Rice is located in Houston with most number of fortune 500 companies second only to NY and is a best best for recruiting for corporate finance and IB. Please let me know if any one applying needs help with the application.

My profile

Thanks johnnyrip!

how is the placement scene for management consulting and strategy?

Also, what are the chances of admission in R2 vs R3. What about non-cosigner loan?

Hi v.m,

I couried an attested copy of my official transcript. I do not think they accept email scanned copies. Hope this helps.

@kamal2011 - Rice places a number of students in smaller consults like Kalypso etc, That said they have also placed students in Mckinsey and Bain (though much fewer owing to the general competitiveness associated with getting in to these companies). I believe that the program will definitely help you develop the skill set required to get in to these companies, leaving the rest up to you.

Congratulations on your admit with a good scholarship. I am a little suprised that you said Rice is best for IB recruiting.

-Bhavya (MBA '09 Chicago Booth)

I meant in Houston.
anubis05 Says
Congrats guys .... Rice is good for which domain ?

Hi anubis,

Rice is generally considered a good program for finance and entrepreneurship. That being said, I believe it depends on the individual to forge his network and use his connections to land a job in any domain he/she chooses.

All the best.
Hi,
Congrats to Johnnyrip and rals702,
Just want to know what u did for transcripts? Can we mail scan of official Marksheet?
I am not in India and it would be difficult to arrange it from my university!
Thnx

I believe you need to give them the official transcripts. You can email them about your problem to see if they will consider the scanned copies.

cheers
Hi abhigup,

Submitted my app on 17 th October and sent in the recos by 25th. App was complete on 30th and was called for interview on 12th nov. Interviewed with a second year student. Was formal and quite conversational. Got a decision after that on 15th of dec. Hope this helps.

All the best with your app.

How much time did they give you to confirm your seat..?
dandydude83 Says
How much time did they give you to confirm your seat..?

Need to confirm by Jan 14th..

Hi Jhonnyrip and others,

need help.
I was targeting to submit my app for R2 (deadline 10th Jan). I am still struggling with my essays and probably will be able to complete the work by 10th evening. Meanwhile, I couldn't send my official transcript to them. I checked on the website and found out:

"All materials (including letters of recommendation, test scores, official transcripts, etc.) must be submitted by the deadline at midnight CST, in order for your application to be considered in that round. Please note that the application is on EST. If your supplemental materials are received after the deadline, your application will be considered in the subsequent round."

I just wanted to check if some body had a similar experience for the previous rounds and if they follow this very strictly. I was also thinking of submitting my app for the next round but am afraid if my chances of getting scholarship will get reduced drastically.

If anyone can share past experiences and your opinions, this will help me in taking a decision. I am anyways sending a mail to adcom to check on the first point, but in case just due to transcripts, they will push my app to next round, I would rather prefer working on my app further and submit it later.

Thanks a lot!

Another quick query,

If you have completed an equivalent four-year degree but your GPA is not in the 4.0 GPA format, you must convert it to the 4.0 scale in order to enter your GPA accurately into the online application. To obtain an English credential translation (required) or evaluation (recommended), please contact one of the following companies:

Global Credential Evaluators

SpanTran Educational Services

World Education Services

Can you please guide me on this?

Thanks

I guess the application form contains application instructions that clearly explain how to convert marks to GPA for international students. They have mentioned World Education Services there. You would need to create an account with them. Then, manually enter your university, individual semester's marks, and your GPA will be generated immediately.
For reaching the application before the deadline, even I am a bit nervous. I have sent my transcripts day before yesterday. Hope it reaches on time.

Hey Kamal2011,

I dont know how strictly they follow this, but you could call up their office and see if there is any chance of them making an exception.

They are very helpful and friendly.

Hope this helps.

Hi Jhonnyrip and others,

need help.
I was targeting to submit my app for R2 (deadline 10th Jan). I am still struggling with my essays and probably will be able to complete the work by 10th evening. Meanwhile, I couldn't send my official transcript to them. I checked on the website and found out:

"All materials (including letters of recommendation, test scores, official transcripts, etc.) must be submitted by the deadline at midnight CST, in order for your application to be considered in that round. Please note that the application is on EST. If your supplemental materials are received after the deadline, your application will be considered in the subsequent round."

I just wanted to check if some body had a similar experience for the previous rounds and if they follow this very strictly. I was also thinking of submitting my app for the next round but am afraid if my chances of getting scholarship will get reduced drastically.

If anyone can share past experiences and your opinions, this will help me in taking a decision. I am anyways sending a mail to adcom to check on the first point, but in case just due to transcripts, they will push my app to next round, I would rather prefer working on my app further and submit it later.

Thanks a lot!

Hi kamal
It's better you mail the adcom...I think it is best to apply when you are content with your essay and not rush the application...I think u will still be considered for Schol in round 3. Lookin at last years posts might give you a lead on this..

All the best

Cheers
I guess the application form contains application instructions that clearly explain how to convert marks to GPA for international students. They have mentioned World Education Services there. You would need to create an account with them. Then, manually enter your university, individual semester's marks, and your GPA will be generated immediately.
For reaching the application before the deadline, even I am a bit nervous. I have sent my transcripts day before yesterday. Hope it reaches on time.

All the best for the app process..hope we all meet this august. Let me know if you have queries related to the interview.
Cheers