Retaking the GMAT.. does it Really harm your admission chances?

Hey, _Before I start, I’d like to inform the mods that I’ve searched for this topic, but couldn’t find anything to answer my question. I’m sure someone’s asked this before, but I can’t find it. If someone knows where the req. info’s at, please d…

Hey,
Before I start, I'd like to inform the mods that I've searched for this topic, but couldn't find anything to answer my question. I'm sure someone's asked this before, but I can't find it. If someone knows where the req. info's at, please do post the link.

Hey,.. again.
I'm a few days away from my GMAT (8 days!).. and I've been considering rescheduling the damn thing. My biggest fear is that I'll do badly, will have to retake it, and the colleges won't look favorably on my first low score.

-I've heard different things from different people about Retaking the test.
Some people say that since all your scores go to the colleges, they look unfavorably upon people who've retaken the test, and not scored too well the first time.

-Some say that it doesn't make a difference at all, and they only look at your highest score.

I know that some colleges ... very few... actually consider your highest score from each section over 2 tests... so if you score higher on quant in the first, and then get a higher score in Verb in the 2nd, they'll consider only the highest from each...

Need advice and gyaan on this urgently

Thank you,
-HH

first of all dont afraid of mods. they wont dismiss you for opening the thread. they are here for good.
but then have you checked the sticky thread. ''GMAT query centre''. the thread serve for such 'general' queries.

...my answer to the title of the thread is - NO.

i wont comment on what ^some people^ say.

Hey Aim, thanks for the info
I've created a thread for query for 2 reasons
1.) So that it gets answered quickly.. Rescheduling needs to be done atleast 7 days (@$50) before the GMAT, and that day is tomorrow.
2.) Since I couldn't find this query, creating a thread will make it easier to find for others in the future.

-HH

smarta$$

so, tell me, are you satisfied with my reply or you want a detailed post?

A detailed post would be great. If you could cite some examples, experiences, sources etc.
The more information the better.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

-HH

A detailed post would be great. If you could cite some examples, experiences, sources etc.
The more information the better.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

-HH

@ Hatori

Could you put forth your preparation level here, where do you stand with 8 days to go for the real test? what kinda scores are you targeting? If given an option of (Good Day Score-Average Day Score-Bad Day Score) what would you put it at?

Just some pointer questions that would help people in answering to your query.

PS: IMHO the level of responses might just confuse you further. If you have decided to take it then go for it. I am sure you would have given a decent amount of time in preparing for the exam. As there are examples of junta who never managed a 700 in practice but reached a 740 in the actual there are examples of 750 contenders ending up at 700.

The former example would boost your confidence level while the latter can force you to rethink your attempt. Its pretty relative

my 2 cents on this question
First of all GMAT is NOT GRE. Your addmission does not depend upon ur GMAT score only.. There are so many other parameters also. Therefore most of the schools (plz pay attention that i m writing MOST ) will accept your max score.

Correct me if i m wrong but if u have not given the schools name in both the list they would not have your prev scores. I have asked this question also to ISB adcom committe (most of us would be applying to ISB) and I quote "Why would you send your lower score to us? We accept max of the two scores".

Regarding taking max scores from different test, well this is the first time i m hearing that so cant comment on that.

@govi
Hey, yeh.. those are good questions..

My prep level isn't the greatest.. but I'm not the type to 'study'.. so getting this far has been an uphill battle.
My prep test put me in the 600-680 range...but my target's 700+
While I don't have a lot of work experience.. my work has been quite unique.. and I know would stand out.. I've had 2 yrs of work ex almost, and by the time I start college it will be over 3.

If my test doesn't go too well, I will also have time to take a retest.
Right now the only thing I'm worried about is that the retest will negatively affect my chances of getting in. I hope that they dont.. because honestly.. I don't want to reschedule...

So, any info you may have would be helpful.

Thanks
-HH

Hey,.. again.
I'm a few days away from my GMAT (8 days!).. and I've been considering rescheduling the damn thing.
Dear Hatori H,
first of all

You want to retake the exam or postpone it, right?

if you retake it : you ll hv to spend 250$ more
if you postpone it : you ll hv to spend 50$ more

you would face such dilemma only if you are scoring far less than your desired GMAT score.

I know you already exhausted GMAT prep tests ( the scores of them are relatively the best indicator of how you ll perform on real GMAT ; second best is Power Prep)
how much less you re scoring is we dont know so cant comment...
if its not more than 70: ignore it ; you would cover that much in seven days

My biggest fear is that I'll do badly, will have to retake it, and the colleges won't look favorably on my first low score.
you are thinking of way ahead...
concentrate on your exam do your best shot...

do it once and for all.
such thoughts are not good at this stage... if you keep thinking of retaking
i am afraid (& god forbid) you ll be taking the test again

Some people say that since all your scores go to the colleges, they look unfavorably upon people who've retaken the test, and not scored too well the first time.

RIDICULOUS

-Some say that it doesn't make a difference at all, and they only look at your highest score.

I know that some colleges ... very few... actually consider your highest score from each section over 2 tests... so if you score higher on quant in the first, and then get a higher score in Verb in the 2nd, they'll consider only the highest from each...

i can understand your anxiousness and therefore i wont comment on above quotes... maybe i ll once your GMAT is over

My suggestion: postpone the test only if you think, you really can perform better....

Thanks again Aim.
The money thing isn't an issue, because I'll be losing that much or more anyway when I take time off work again to give the new rescheduled GMAT.

My question is still the old one - Will retaking a GMAT affect admission chances (ie. having 2 scores, one around 640, the other 700+)?

aim, do you have or know any sites with more info on this issue?
(Btw, Tuck accepts the highest sectional score from different exams..)

-HH

Please correct me if I am wrong:

Most schools only take your highest score. They are perfectly fine with the fact that you might have had one bad day. So relax. You have 8 days. Give it a good shot.

And till date I haven't seen any case (from my research on various forums and feedback) about schools that look at your first score unfavorably etc etc.

more i am avoiding it to answer more you are digging in.
goldberg is right.

now dont make me mad.

re taking GMAT. does it harm admission chances?
NO.
I THINK, I HV ALREADY ANSWERED IT IN POST #2.

if you want some other forum site, i hv already given you answer there too. which is complete.
listen to goldberg.

did you check my edited post btw?
the word is ridiculous 😃

@Hatori H -

😞 Bhai aise bacchon ko darao nahin.... :(

effect of previous schools on your chances? NO, NO NO! otherwise no one would be appearing the subsequent times for GMAT. its just a measure of your level of comfort with Quant n Verbal, the sooner or later bt final achievement is important...And GMAT is just a barrier there is MUCH (read again MUCH) more to your application than that.

Nonetheless, There are many like you. Perhaps though many people get it right the first time, but even I couldn't just like you.. Also, if you are not prepared well, postpone, coz Last few days cramming will further damage your ability of doing best, and you will end up screwing the exam.

Awe it up or be awesome man!

Let us know what you do!

ATB,
_Abhinandan

sorry for my not-so-polite replies yesterday... 😞 was travelling ...

anyways,
abhi, no hindi pls. 😃 the thread starter is not indian. right Hatori?

comment from HH is needed. 😃

Lot has been said about retaking the GMAT, but I would agree with aim, if you think so much about retaking and worrying about the score, (god forbid) you might end up thinking the same while you take the test and your fears will be proved right.

Abhi has again rightly said that GMAT is just one of the parameters for getting an admit. However you might want to look at what some of the seniors have said about the score, if you are not getting a score which the top 80% of the students at your target college have then you might consider retaking it.

If you are aiming for 700+ and you haven't touched 700 (A 680 or 690 is very close discount that) in either of GMATprep, powerprep or Princeton (they appear to be the closest to the actual GMAT), you might not be able to achieve your target score. Further, worry of the score will certainly negatively affect your chances of getting a good one. Hence you might consider posponing it (retake is obviously more costly).

Last suggestion from my side , try and consolidate your scores (reduce the variation) and relax so that you do it carefully but in a relaxed frame of mind when you attempt it.

Hope this helps,

Cheers.....

@Aim -
Like I said before - Thank you. I appreciate you're input. However, I re-asked the question so that new visitors to the thread could help me by answering my initial question about the 'Effects of Retaking', and not going down the "To reschedule or not route".
While that was definitely the bigger question, it was one for myself, and not for my fellow puys to answer.. All I needed was information to clear up an misconception I had. (don't mean to sound harsh here..)

I'm glad you think it's ridiculous, but you must understand, that since this is a very important decision, I cannot leave it up to just one person's opinion/advice/input. The more the merrier.

@Everyone else - thank you. I've decided to give my GMAT on the 31st after all. If it doesn't go too well... eh.. well.. there's always next time. The retaking options' got me a lot less stressed, which makes it easier for me to study... :)
One thing about being on PG - It actually scared me more in the beginning.. One has to sift through things very carefully to get what they need here. Everyone needs a different approach.

Thanks,
HH

@Aim bhai - apun ekdum desi, 😉

@Everyone else - thank you. I've decided to give my GMAT on the 31st after all. If it doesn't go too well... eh.. well.. there's always next time. The retaking options' got me a lot less stressed, which makes it easier for me to study... :)
One thing about being on PG - It actually scared me more in the beginning.. One has to sift through things very carefully to get what they need here. Everyone needs a different approach.

Thanks,
HH

@Aim bhai - apun ekdum desi, ;)

Now that you will be going for the kill good luck the time in hand is sufficient for you to put up a good performance and dont think about the outcome at all during the test. Just to add in - avoid visiting this thread before the 31st. I would like to see a new thread on 31st ;)

~S
@Aim -

I'm glad you think it's ridiculous, but you must understand, that since this is a very important decision, I cannot leave it up to just one person's opinion/advice/input. The more the merrier.

juss for clarification: your post is not ridiculous but the quote of some people you mentioned...

@Aim bhai - apun ekdum desi, ;)

You surprised me big time :shock: :wow:

@Hatori
I took the GMAT twice inside 45 days(yeah....bad planning and crunched for time to meet deadlines).... improved my score by only 20(1 mark more in the verbal, no change in quants:satisfie: )..... Wanted to apply to about 6 schools, ended up applying to only one and got an admit.....

Not much of takeaway from my story except that its a good thing that you have plenty of time to write the GMAT the second time if you want to.... I think the majority of schools are just happy to take your highest score..... What are your target schools? Advantage with people on this forum is that somebody or other has done detailed research on almost all known international schools..... so junta might be able to tell if school A or B is particular about GMAT retakes(I am totally surprised by the Tuck info about them taking highest sectionals from different tests btw)

Its a good thing you have decided to give the GMAT on your planned date......go for it

All the best for your GMAT....

-

On a different note - your nickname comes from Hatori Hanzo of Kill Bill fame ?? :)

Edit - another point to note and what all PG members will tell you(some already have on this thread), is that GMAT is just one part of your application...you said you have unique work profile.... don't lose too much sleep if you don't get that 700+ score and managed your target of 600+