Repository of Skill sets of PG Junta : Whom to contact for Career related qns?

What is this thread about? With a very healthy ratio of working professionals frequenting the forum I guess it is time we had a repository of people and their core skill sets in one thread just for career guidance purposes. There are pā€¦

What is this thread about?

With a very healthy ratio of working professionals frequenting the forum I guess it is time we had a repository of people and their core skill sets in one thread just for career guidance purposes. There are plenty of freshers ( not to forget final year students and career shifters-sans-magic-potion-of-MBA ) who would be interested to know what kind of job /career change would ensure they end up as the next new rich kid on the block, jet set the world, dazzle the AD COM people and help get laid.

Or well at the very least get a reality check about the corpuhrate life , the actual work in your dream career and the many slips between the cup and the lip
This thread is primarily aimed at the working junta. But of course if you are still studying but as a hobby have done some entrepreneurial work feel free to put your skill set as well.

How will this thread help?

Much as we would like to claim our intention was to lead you to greater glory and Lo! into the path of carnal salvation ,we have to admit our ambitions are quite modest. With the plethora of new threads being opened about career choices ,whether company A or B will give me free internet access and time to prepare for CAT etc it would be that much easier if we could locate the person who would atleast have some idea about what he/she is talking about and help you throw some light on your dilemma.
In other words get the person who is mostly likely to have the information, willing to share information and sometimes the inside dope so you can make a more informed decision (whatever that is! )
Yes we feel your pain and spend sleepless nights wondering whether you got your dilemma solved. ( And now will you for Heavens sake use the Search option and not open new threads please? šŸ˜› )

Working professional : Why should I enter my details?

Ah come on We know you are anticipating in glee to burst the bubble of grandiose expectations of the hapless newbies ,with good intentions of course(?), considering you were at their poshish not-so-long-ago . But on a serious note this sub forum was getting quite cluttered and it is just simple information dissemination and an attempt to bring you oh-mighty-one having been-there-doing-that to the newbie.
Anyway someone has to say to the Emperor that he has no new clothes:)

And it is purely voluntary of course. Do use your discretion as to what information you enter. We neednt tell you that J Also remember the fact that you are volunteering to post your info here implicitly means you are ready to accept PMs and help.

Any sample format to enter the details?

Username hyperlinked to Send PM
Skill sets : Mention the kind of industry , Technical skill sets etc
Company : Of course this is optional.
Designation: Either enter your actual designation or what type of stream your designation belongs to
Work experience(years) : Again optional
Others: Any other info you would like to add so it could be easier for people to locate you specific to a career question.
Eg) Name : Oxymoron
Skill sets: Core SAP Technical and Functional stuff
Ancillary Designing, testing
Company : xxxxx
Designation: Consulting stream ( people in the know save the snigger will you? šŸ˜ƒ )
Work Experience (years) : 3 plus

Freshers/newbies : What exactly should we do?

a)Have a clear idea about what exactly you want to know . Do use that wonderful tool called Google and at least have an idea about what you are talking about. After all this is about your career.
b)Use the search option and see whether the question has been already answered .
c)You can PM the person concerned to reply on the thread . Do ensure all your relevant exchanges are posted on the appropriate thread so it could be useful for someone in a similar dilemma later.
d)Do understand the person whom you PM is under no obligation to answer you and hence do not keep bombarding them with your PMs.

Freshers/newbies : Why should I trust whatever the person says? How do I verify their credentials?

Good point. You shouldnt and be reasonably skeptical. But then again mere skepticism didnt stop you from making friendship in orkut did it? Well, then. Look at the bright side of it. The odds of you getting a reply here are much much higher. As long as you dont try cheesy pick up lines of course : )
On a serious note the intention is to give you some guidance and indeed you are expected to take it with a pinch of salt ,plough your own furrow and that sort of thing...

Right then. This is just an experimental one and lets see how it pans out. Any suggestions,queries etc are welcome . Lets improvise it and if it works out fine. If it doesnt hey we havent got much to lose eh? šŸ˜ƒ

Girish...!

Skill Set Repository :
Name : Oxymoron
Skill sets: Core SAP Technical and Functional stuff
Ancillary Designing, testing
Company : xxxxx

Username: WRITETOTANVEER (will add the hyperlink later)

Skill sets : Taxation;Auditing; Banking; Editing; Teaching; Hiring; Non voice BPO

Company : RADIXTHINK INC (Past employers : GE; HEWITT ASSOCIATES; ICICI BANK; ENCYCLOPAEDIA BRITANNICA)

Designation: MANAGER

Work experience(years) : Started working in Feb 2001 + 3 years in an audit firm prior to that.

Knowledge Areas:
1)Anything to do with the CAT - Teaching to College selection
2) Chartered Accountancy in India
3) Company secretaryship in India
4) LLB Entrance exam of DU
5) Editorial Projects
6) Non voice BPO - Back end Processes
7) HR - esp HR BPO
Interview questions/ techniques
9) Banking Sector - Fraud Detection
10) Educational Startup

Welcome aboard Tanveer!

Ah come on junta surely you must have some kind of competency atleast? šŸ˜ƒ I acknowledge the "thanks" but would it would be much better if you can put in some suggestions or even better volunteer...if you think any of the info would compromise you ( whatever it means!) you are at most liberty not to disclose it..but surely writing about your competency shouldnt be a problem? ( Unless of course you are working for the CIA or acting in Ekta Kapoor's serial..)

Girish...!

Username: chop suey

Skill sets : Telecommunication basically wireline comm. (limited knowledge of wireless n data comm. )

Company : Reliance comm.

Designation: L3 switch engg. (Dy. manager)

Work experience(years) : Started working in Feb 2006 (1.5 years) in RCOMM at DAKC mumbai

UserName: Palak Mathur

Skill Set: Java, J2EE, Oracle, Electronics, Instrumentation

Company: IBM India Pvt. Ltd., Pune

Past Employers: Infosys Technologies Ltd., Pune, VCustomer Services, Delhi

Work Experience: Almost 5+ years

Knowledge Areas:-

1) Queries regarding Infosys, IBM or any other IT company.
2) Call Centre jobs
3) Help in Coding specially Java, Enterprise Service Bus, SOA
4) Entrance Examination queries
5) Web2.0, Social Networking, Blogging
6) History
7) Civil Services
8 ) Public Administration
9) Any other topic

subj. : TRAINING and PLACEMENT

hi alll
i'm a MCA final yr. student
i want 2 query on trainin and placements , 4 ppl who HAVE NOT gotd'
PERFECT figure (70-70-70)% in (xii-grad-pg).
i've a fig of (65+/50/60)% . i've a good tech. & logical apti
i've done certification in C,C++.
i've a economics background .
i want 2 know how 2 proceed & which companies shud TARGET , so
dat i get placements asap.
i'm plannin 2 learn PHP, wanna go into DOTnet technology ,
other areas r " Research n Dev. " and Trainin
plzzzzzzzzzz hlp!!!!!

Name : sharadkapoor
Skill sets: Mainframes( Development and Testing)
Company : Current-> Sunlife Financials , Previous Organization-> Infosys
Designation: Software Engineer
Domain: Insurance, Healthcare
Work Experience : 18 months

Hi All,

user name:dumchi
Company : Siemens IT Services
Sector:Telecommunication ,software development
Technology:Dot.net,Oracle
Work ex: 30 months,
expert areas:OSS/BSS domain(Telecom Sector),dotnet.....
interest:Quizzing,running.........

Thanks

Counseling on Careers in FINANCE by CRISIL

Graduates/Engineers considering a career in the the world of FINANCE , heres an opportunity to take your first step. CRISIL (
www.crisil.com) is organizing a counseling session in Mumbai on 10th Feb 2008 at 11:00 a.m.
For registration mail:
[email protected] or call 022-6691 3184 / 98332 60606

Name = sony007
Skill sets : IT,Telecomm-OSS/NMS, MBA prep/CAT cousellor:)
Company : Current -XXX ;Prev-Infosys-Mysore/Bangalore
Designation: s/w engg
Work experience(years) : 2.5
Others: love to give Gyaans to newbies šŸ˜ƒ - in a way if my experience can help some one achieve there dreams;keeping updates about latest in Movies,economy & technology..

Hi all. Finally found a thread where i can hope to find answer to my query.
Name-varun
experience-13 months (jan07 to till now)
company-puncom(its a psu of punjab govt)
skill set- sdh,dwdm(not an expert, just basics)
query-now with this experience i am planning to take cat 2008. I am confused as in which specialization of mba will utilize this experience? What is operations management?

Hi all. Finally found a thread where i can hope to find answer to my query.
Name-varun
experience-13 months (jan07 to till now)
company-puncom(its a psu of punjab govt)
skill set- sdh,dwdm(not an expert, just basics)
query-now with this experience i am planning to take cat 2008. I am confused as in which specialization of mba will utilize this experience? What is operations management?

My details :-
Username : nits4mba
Exp : 4 years (Software Engineer)
Skill Set : Java/J2EE, Project Mgmt.

Varun - It depends what your interests are and your future aspirations based on which u decide the specialization be it Finance, Marketing, HR or Op Mgmt. Try to google or search on PG for more info. Also give a thought as to why u want to do MBA. Is it just because everyone is doing or u have something specific to achieve. I know this sounds too banal but it's about your career and only u can decide. HTH.

Cheers,
Nits

Name Kuldeep Kulshreshtha
BE Mechanical ( Mumbai University)
Industry: Oil and Gas
Company: Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited
Designation: Engineer/ Purchase Officer
Experience : 3 yrs . One year each in Maintenance Execution, Maintenance planning and Purchase.
Skill sets: Planning ( shutdown planning and NPCB), Material Procurement, MAXIMO and JD Edwards.

User id - xcoolaryan
BE Comp
Industry: šŸ˜ (not fixed yet)
Experience : 2 yrs . in family business ( RETAIL ) & then one year in own startup (Internet)
Skill sets / Interest: Entrepreneurship (124 post out 635 post on : Entrepreneurship thread šŸ˜ ), economy, Website Development & Hosting, Retail, MBA Gyaan, Starting a new business(spend years researching & reading on this subject)

Username - Apurv (click to PM)
Areas of gyaanability : Media, journalism, writing on crime/business/technology/education, startups, the web industry, interactive media
Company : Currently PaGaLGuY.com, earlier written for Associated Press-New York, Hindustan Times, Outlook, The Pioneer, Rock Street Journal etc
Designation: Editorosaurus Rex
Work experience : 5 years
Others: Would be happy to answer questions about starting a career in media, how to break into your first job, salary expectations, lifestyle, blah blah

Cheers!

UserName: Murty

Skill Set: IBM Mainframes, AS/400

Company: Infosys Technologies Ltd. | Chennai

Work Experience: 25 months

Designation- SE

1) Queries regarding Infosys or any other IT company
2) Technical Queries related to programming in Mainframes and AS/400

Skill set- CL 400, COBOL 400, RPG 400, DB2, CICS, JCL

Cheers..

Welcome aboard Tanveer!

Ah come on junta surely you must have some kind of competency atleast? šŸ˜ƒ I acknowledge the "thanks" but would it would be much better if you can put in some suggestions or even better volunteer...if you think any of the info would compromise you ( whatever it means!) you are at most liberty not to disclose it..but surely writing about your competency shouldnt be a problem? ( Unless of course you are working for the CIA or acting in Ekta Kapoor's serial..)

Girish...!

So u still active ?? thought Infy had u chained .. anyways guess i too can contribute, although little, when it comes to ____________ .. i dont know what just look at the profile and decide if u think i can help u in any way ..

Name: Anoop/Contender
Skill sets : SAP NetWeaver
Company : SAP ( from last 3+yrs) but am serving my notice period now ;-)
Designation: ********
Work experience(years) : 3.5 .. yeah moi a oldie ..

~Contender

Hi all.....

Can anybody help me out regarding a company named "Future First" ...it gives a position of derivative trader ......i wanna know about the future prospect ......

prsently i m working in a IT company but not satisfied so wanna shift to "Futurw First"....

so anybody can please help

UserName: intello

Skill Set:Solaris,Linux Weblogic

Company: Birlasoft Ltd. Noida

Work Experience: 10 months

Designation- SE

1) Querise regarding colleges.
2) Technical Queries related to solaris and weblogic admin