Reliability of FT rankings

Hey PPL, How do you rate the FT rankings? Do you think it is reliable. It places schools like Ohio state and Uni of Texas-Austin at somewhr in 80-90’s, much below schools like uni of arizona, rice uni etc. Do you think it is correct. the…

Hey PPL,

How do you rate the FT rankings? Do you think it is reliable. It places schools like Ohio state and Uni of Texas-Austin at somewhr in 80-90's, much below schools like uni of arizona, rice uni etc.

Do you think it is correct. they are one of the toughest schools to get in.

Also the rankings are veryyyy different from usnews rankings. Which rankings should be trusted??

i think these FT rankings are just not reliable at all....i mean ISB ranked 20.....weird!!

thanks

Yes they are reliable if you agree with their methodology.
No they are not reliable if you don't agree.

The problem with rankings is that every individual has a different priority to the different aspects that require ranking. Therefore any chart is usually not reflective of the individuals requirements.

All the charts in the world never use 1 criteria which all people use. And it's something that can't be easily measured... Brand Value. A up and coming school could be better than an establishe t20 school in terms of faculty and education, but what does that mean without the brand value?

A school could have excellent student body compared to a t20 school, again, what does that mean without brand value?

Agree. If one has admit to both Columbia and Harvard, which one he would choose ? Would he go by FT ranking to let go HBS admit ? ;-)

All the charts in the world never use 1 criteria which all people use. And it's something that can't be easily measured... Brand Value. A up and coming school could be better than an establishe t20 school in terms of faculty and education, but what does that mean without the brand value?

A school could have excellent student body compared to a t20 school, again, what does that mean without brand value?

Just becoz ISB is at FT-top 20, now we start questioning the credibility of FT rankings? whats up with people.? Yea, IIMs did not find a place in there. But did some one find out, if those schools participated in the FT survey? May be IIMs refrained from doing so like ISB did in case of national rankings. If you read the detailed report, it mentions that only 156 schools participated in the survey.

Coming to the question of Univ.ofArizona, YES. That school is very hard to get into. their MIS department was ranked no.3 May be they have improved their MBA over a period of time. Lot of these rankings depend on departments really. When I joined for an MS in UofA, it was ranked 13th in phd program. one year after I joined, all the professors who were doing great research finished their work and left for ivy leagues becoz of quality of their research. by the time I finished my MS UofA was back in the 30s in terms of rankings. A dip in the ranking is easily perceivable.

Coming to question about Harvard, let me ask you this another question. If Columbia was ranked consistently 10 places above Harvard for the last 10 years, what would you prefer. Now we are entering the statistical realms of significance based on sampling size 😃 I will leave it here.

Coming to question about Harvard, let me ask you this another question. If Columbia was ranked consistently 10 places above Harvard for the last 10 years, what would you prefer. Now we are entering the statistical realms of significance based on sampling size 😃 I will leave it here.

Again this depends on the brand value and the target of the student.

In your scenario... If columbia places above HBS for 10 consecutive years. But the companies that the student wantede to work for recruited at HBS and not Columbia, which would he go for?

The ranking is irrelevant, it's all about your targets and which school will give you these goals.

This is where Alumni importance comes in. Strong Alumni networks will mean that certain opportunities will only go to the schools they graduated from, or they have a strong preference for their alma mater. This is the 'brand' value' that rankings cannot confer.

It takes years and years for these networking capabilitues to be established.
Just becoz ISB is at FT-top 20, now we start questioning the credibility of FT rankings? whats up with people.? Yea, IIMs did not find a place in there. But did some one find out, if those schools participated in the FT survey? May be IIMs refrained from doing so like ISB did in case of national rankings. If you read the detailed report, it mentions that only 156 schools participated in the survey.

Coming to the question of Univ.ofArizona, YES. That school is very hard to get into. their MIS department was ranked no.3 May be they have improved their MBA over a period of time. Lot of these rankings depend on departments really. When I joined for an MS in UofA, it was ranked 13th in phd program. one year after I joined, all the professors who were doing great research finished their work and left for ivy leagues becoz of quality of their research. by the time I finished my MS UofA was back in the 30s in terms of rankings. A dip in the ranking is easily perceivable.

i diagree with you in the sense that you have just considered ISB in making your point. My basic question was pointed at schools like Ohio state and Uni of texas-austin being so much behing. Going by the rankings i guess ppl would like to leave ohio state, which I believe will be a foolishness. No grudges against ISB. I really do not know about tht school to comment whether it should be thr or nt. Though the rankins are based on certain criterias, bt if ohio state and texas austin are so much behind, I really doubt the criterias they have used to give rankings. .

coming to the point made by you regarding columbia and harvard, if columbia would have been ranked higher since last 10 yrs, thn it would surely have been a better school, and people would have surely opted for columbia now. Bt all the other rankings rate harvard to be in the top 3, and os just one FT ranking cannot make it a better school, even though you feel its efficency would have reduced.

nottingham business school, which is so easy to get in as compared to others is also ranked higher then texas austin, which is pathetic.

that means emory duke UT, ohio are all below isb....m i rite??? crap....thanks!!

I checked FT ranking after I got a mail from ISB about its achievement. I am happy about it and I feel no one starts questioning credibility just because ISB is in the list.

Many publications have ranked H/S/W low, consistently from many years. If you see EIU, WSJ rankings you would know. Yet, Student perception has not changed . That should answer your question.

While choosing schools for myself, I use rankings just as indicators. As someone rightly mentioned here, lot depends on your goals. One has to look for those schools which help in achieving those.