Relevance of full time teaching experience

Hi All, I have posted a similar thread earlier also, but could not get much replies earlier. :sad: Please let me know that if somebody has an experience in IT (16 months) and a KPO (1 year), how would his profile get affected if he takes…

Hi All,

I have posted a similar thread earlier also, but could not get much replies earlier. :sad:

Please let me know that if somebody has an experience in IT (16 months) and a KPO (1 year), how would his profile get affected if he takes up full time teaching experience in a coaching center like CL etc. I have to take both perspectives of International and Indian MBA into account.

Would the teaching experience cause any negative impact on the overall profile of a person who has worked in corporate sector for 2.5 years? I am aware that part time would definitely be helpful, but please guide me about full time.

Hi All,

I have posted a similar thread earlier also, but could not get much replies earlier. :sad:

Please let me know that if somebody has an experience in IT (16 months) and a KPO (1 year), how would his profile get affected if he takes up full time teaching experience in a coaching center like CL etc. I have to take both perspectives of International and Indian MBA into account.

Would the teaching experience cause any negative impact on the overall profile of a person who has worked in corporate sector for 2.5 years? I am aware that part time would definitely be helpful, but please guide me about full time.

Ankit
if you can justify why u left your company to start teaching, it CANNOT be negative at all.
adcom wud see your application as follows:
you are here ---->X + Y --- > you want to be here
X= your experiences till date
Y= MBA

so X should be in sync with your goals...

thanks zapak...:smile:...but i have another query to your suggestion, its like when we see a field shift in a resume, we can very well say, that this was my passion n i wanted to take more responsibilities etc etc, but in this case, I want to prepare and teach side by side, so that I can earn and use that time for mba preparation also. So what would be the opinion of the panel who would come across my profile?..ne clues?

ankitkhurana Says
thanks zapak...:smile:...but i have another query to your suggestion, its like when we see a field shift in a resume, we can very well say, that this was my passion n i wanted to take more responsibilities etc etc, but in this case, I want to prepare and teach side by side, so that I can earn and use that time for mba preparation also. So what would be the opinion of the panel who would come across my profile?..ne clues?

You have answered your question yourself :)
Passion is the word.
but you can avoid this cliche by personalising, like...i will give u couple of examples, u can think of others...
your long term goal is to be in field of education, so you shifted here...OR
you want to be in XXXX field but your both jobs were so demanding you hardly had time.. plus money was a major issue so u could not quit job.. so u decided to teach.. so that u can earn money and study both at same time... but here u will have to justify many things... so be prepared for that...

the things I have told u are not any FORMULAS... it is to give u direction to think....
You have answered your question yourself :)
Passion is the word.
but you can avoid this cliche by personalising, like...i will give u couple of examples, u can think of others...
your long term goal is to be in field of education, so you shifted here...OR
you want to be in XXXX field but your both jobs were so demanding you hardly had time.. plus money was a major issue so u could not quit job.. so u decided to teach.. so that u can earn money and study both at same time... but here u will have to justify many things... so be prepared for that...

the things I have told u are not any FORMULAS... it is to give u direction to think....

Yeah, really nice suggestion buddy.... you are absoultely right when you say the second point, because that is the prime reason why I would like to take the field, also, the stress level is less, and u get more time to study, but is it right that the panel generally dont look positive towards the teaching experience, primarily because they think that a person should be able to carry out multitasking by carrying his hectic job and should crack CAT or GMAT simultaneously, but in reality that is extremely difficult. However, primarily my aim is to start a small experimental B-plan of myself (irrespective of whether it succeeds or fails), and this also requires capital and time, which can't be given with a hectic job. This can help me gain knowledge, exposure and also added advantage to enter into a B-School. But then till next year I have to be in a solid position to to implement that plan, which is a bit difficult.
But the 1st point you mentioned seems pretty interesting, if you can highlight a bit more. Thanks for that direction..:)...Looking forward for your next suggestion...:)

i am a bit confused here...
i thought you are applying this year...for fall 2009 session..
then u said .. u r starting something of your own which wud take time and give u experience...
that means you are planning for next session.. beginning 2010?
equation would entirely change in both scenarios..
kindly clear my confusion...
you can send me private message if u wish....

i am a bit confused here...
i thought you are applying this year...for fall 2009 session..
then u said .. u r starting something of your own which wud take time and give u experience...
that means you are planning for next session.. beginning 2010?
equation would entirely change in both scenarios..
kindly clear my confusion...
you can send me private message if u wish....

Hi Zapak,

I would clarify the previous doubt....I am planning for 2010 session, and I am planning a B-Plan to be implemented for the next year. Further, I am keen in going for a teaching job side by side, so as to help me in the prep and also a act as a source of income. Hope now the scene is clear. Now I would like to know that how would an overall profile of this sort look to the panel of both Cat and Gmat universities?...2.5 year corporate experience, 1.5 yr teaching experience along with 1.5 yr own B-Plan?........ne suggestions on this...??
Hi Zapak,

I would clarify the previous doubt....I am planning for 2010 session, and I am planning a B-Plan to be implemented for the next year. Further, I am keen in going for a teaching job side by side, so as to help me in the prep and also a act as a source of income. Hope now the scene is clear. Now I would like to know that how would an overall profile of this sort look to the panel of both Cat and Gmat universities?...2.5 year corporate experience, 1.5 yr teaching experience along with 1.5 yr own B-Plan?........ne suggestions on this...??

to be candid....
the experience as explained above DEFINITELY sounds haphazard... like a person who has little clarity and culd harm you..
but you can explain it in a way to benefit you, like..
you HAVE to explain how the 2.5 years of corporate exp plus the 1.5 years of teaching helped you in your B-plan... it means that you always had in mind that you are going for the B-plan.. and hence worked towards it all the time...
plus personally i dont feel with 5.5 years of experience you would benefit much from Indian schools (CAT as u mentioned) with exception of 2-3 colleges... so kindly be clear about whether you want INDIAN MBA os US/Europe MBA... because shortlisting schools, and preparing application would take more time than you anticipate. 8 months is the minimum for a good application

Don't mistake my 2 bits on this topic as my discouraging you from getting an MBA but from what I can see, you are ready to twist your story any which way to sneak into an MBA program. While quitting your current job to get into teaching may get you a good score, it certainly won't assure you of a seat into a good program. Adcoms will question your decision and most likely figure out your motives in quitting your current job. I suggest you look at the big picture. Try to answer what it is that you really want to do in life and get started in that direction. From your posts it seems your 'end' is getting an MBA degree. An MBA degree is not an 'end' but a means to one. Your career choices now will be questioned at every step of your career - so much so, even if you do get into a b-school, you will have to explain future potential employers your motives in taking an unconventional career path. Unless your motives to join the education industry are geniune, this step will be a big mistake. Think it through and good luck!