Recos : What if you dont want your direct supervisor to be a recommender ?

Hi Guys I have a very practical problem. I dont want my direct supervisor to be my recommender. Does it in anyway adversely affect my application ? There are very practical reasons for this : Reasons : We sort of have very cross-f…

Hi Guys

I have a very practical problem. I dont want my direct supervisor to be my recommender. Does it in anyway adversely affect my application ?

There are very practical reasons for this :

Reasons :
We sort of have very cross-functional/project teams. My direct supervisor appraises me annually, but the biggest input is from another person with whom I interact on a day2day basis and hence I feel that person can be a much better recommender -- for all practical purposes this second person is my day2day boss.

The problem is that I see most schools ask whos is your direct supervisor and the designation, when I provide that and the recommendation will be by someone else then will it be an issue ?

What are your suggestions here ?

Thanks a lot
Amit

Not sure this deserves a separate thread? Perhaps asking in the Phoren B-school Assistance desk would be more helpful?

While ad-comes prefer direct supervisors, your recos should come from people who know you best, who've worked with you for a long time and who can clearly highlight your growth and achievements as an individual.

Use the optional essay to explain why you didnt use the direct supervisor. And i'm not sure schools ask for direct supervisor and their designation.