Reattempting Cat and FMS while studying at a tier 2 b school

Hi, I have around 2 yrs of work ex and planning to take admission into a tier 2 b school this year. Although i had many calls from the top colleges but could not convert many gd/pi and so have to settle with this. I was wondering if i could t…

Hi,

I have around 2 yrs of work ex and planning to take admission into a tier 2 b school this year. Although i had many calls from the top colleges but could not convert many gd/pi and so have to settle with this. I was wondering if i could take admission in a B school and then give an attempt at the top exams like CAT FMS and XLRI again...

Is this at all possible and has anybody tried this before?

and how does it affect my chances in the gd/pi round if i clear the written exam.

Waiting for your valuable inputs....

Once you enter an MBA College...the life becomes hectic....

Aar ya paar wali baat karo yaar !.... beech mein mat latko...!

*my personal opinion 😃

read all i wanted to speak about cat book..one guy crack iim c while in fms..tier 1 to tier 1..so its not impossible but one has to ask himself a question why in the first place he is joining tier 2..at least 2-3 lakh fees for a year+money/experience lost due to leaving job..
if one goes into tier 2 in the hope that he will try for tier 1 one more time and if not selected then continue with tier 2 then its a difficult proposition..so its always better to go for tier 2 and give heart and mind in excelling there or wait and work hard for tier 1..
though if someone misses tier 1 by unavoidable circumstances and is already talented enough to crack it next time just by preparing in last 10-15 days..then may be ok..

Hi,

I have around 2 yrs of work ex and planning to take admission into a tier 2 b school this year. Although i had many calls from the top colleges but could not convert many gd/pi and so have to settle with this. I was wondering if i could take admission in a B school and then give an attempt at the top exams like CAT FMS and XLRI again...

and how does it affect my chances in the gd/pi round if i clear the written exam.

Hey if its like you have to take an admission this year what so ever may the case be I would say don't go halfheartedly even though you may be going to the worst MBA college in the country.

I have done my engineering from an almost unknown college of UPTU. I also had written AIEEE again while in 1st year of engineering and I did get a decent rank as well. But guess what, I got very good marks in 1st semester and was among the university toppers of UPTU for that semester. That is when I realized the importance of individual performance. After that I dropped the plans of changing the college and decided to study well and get good marks. There was no campus placement in the college and I did not have a job for 1-2 months after the college. However, soon after I started getting lot of calls and made it to 3-4 companies, and am currently working with one of them. And believe me its one of the best companies in world to work with.

So the point is 'Brand name of your college is not the only criteria that will decide your future. It depends a lot on you as well. Not everybody from an IIM does better than lets say a college ranked somewhere in last 50'.

So all the best for whichever college you are planning to join. Have faith in yourself and I am sure you will do great. :cheerio:
Hi,

what works for me might not work for you ! always remember this buddy ! there are no set rules or patterns to be followed to achieve what you want to . you are your own judge and it's only you who can decide as to what suits you the best . there are a whole lot of people who will advice you against doing so , citing examples of x no of people who tried it and failed . you have an option of either following your heart or heeding to the statistically favorable approach

maybe my words are a bit biased cause i am a non conformist and i am proud of being so . anything under this sun is achievable dear friend . let folks talk of years missed or opportunities lost in my opinion even if one sits idle doing nothing , it is time worth spent cause he/she is perhaps introspecting about something ! so in a nutshell do listen to others' advices , but towards the end follow your heart and you mind :cheers:

in case you need an example i have my own brother as one .

Hi,
I am leaving K J Somaiya for CAT 2011. This will be my last attempt to CAT.

it really depends how far u can push urself
if u have dat motivation level nothing is impossible

but on d outside it is one hell of a job 2 do

if u are taking an admission dis year,it means if next year by chance u dont clear CAt,FMS etc u will stick 2 d college
but if u dont work hard in ur college-assignments,presentations,grades,classes etc u risk getting a good placement from the existing college

its a risk 2 big 2 take
CAt is uncertain like our railway trains
and FMS is 226 seats including various reservations and u need 2 fight amongst 40,000 ppl

i have also landed in a tier 2 bschool dis year,but im forgoing it
so that next year i try for the top 10

the thing is if u are already in top 30,it doesnt make sense to leave d college,take d pains of studying and pressure etc,paying half d fees n moving to top20,in dat case top 10 is ur target

as for me i will target the top 10 wud be happy if i get in top 20 as well coz i got nothing 2 loose

having said that if u have it in u,n u are confident
there is 1 seat for grab in fms u cud be d 1

My 2 cents :)

Here are a few cases:
One of my college seniors got through IIFT Delhi after working for an MNC for a year. She then got through IIM C after completing a year at IIFT and is currently placed in a prestigious management consulting firm.

A friend of mine completed his MBA from NITIE and during the final sem, got calls from IIMs but attended only IIM A. I am not sure of his result but afa I know he couldn't convert the call.

A friend got through MDI in his first attempt as a fresher but was very focused on getting into ABC & hence left MDI, worked for an MNC & got through IIMC next year.

A few things that need to be taken into consideration here are:
1. Life at an MBA college is extremely hectic & one hardly gets time to prepare. Having said that, if one is focused and well versed in time management, I guess the min. required prep can be taken care of. There are many who appear for CAT while being in IIMs LIK as well.
2. One needs to be financially strong to take any such step as the cost of MBA education is increasing every year. However, equally true is the fact that IIMs can fetch you better packages & the cost can be recovered in the long run.
3. The brand name of the college matters for only few initial years after which it is your work & profile that matters. Therefore, it makes sense to try to make the best out of the opportunity provided. I have seen people from so called 2nd grade MBA colleges leading the ones from the top notch institutes. So, caliber of a person & his credentials play an important role.
4. One needs to weigh the difference between the institutes he is getting into & aspiring for. Also try to weigh it in terms of the work ex & money that you will earn by doing an MBA in 2 years than in 3 years because if you opt for a better b-school next year, you will end up losing a year of work ex.
5. There are many who leave their converted calls to try for the top b-schools. I know of many who have been able to achieve the feat. One has been quoted above. Another is the case of a colleague who left IIM L & I and got through IIM A this year. Such people try to get a good work-ex & improve their profile. Few do it to open the doors for GMAT as well. However, on a personal note, I find it a risky business because of the changing parameters and the way exams are conducted these days. This though is case dependent & one can get either extremes.
5. Getting a call & converting it are two extremely different things & therefore not all the people who get calls for better colleges while being students at MBA colleges are able to convert them. However, if you are extremely sure of yourself and don't wish to take a risk at the same time, there's no stopping you.

In short, try to see it in terms of the value addition that you will receive. There's no harm in taking the exam while studying & one can decide on the future course of action based on the results but one should not end up losing out on his current form at the b-school he is studying in in such a case because then he might end up being nowhere. The competition at the top b-schools is extremely tough & one can lose out if one is not focused enough specially during the first few sems. Also, please do some analysis & introspection as to why would you want to switch to a better B-school because only if you are sure enough of the reasons, will you be able to justify your decision to the panel as they will most likely ask you the reason.

P.S.: I haven't completed my MBA yet and will be joining IIFT Delhi this year. All the inputs above are based on my interactions with fellow aspirants, seniors & friends who are either at b-schools currently or have passed out of them recently. Few of the inputs are also from the various blogs on b-schools that I come across.

PG having a pool of immensely talented & experienced people would be able to help you out in a better way here 😃

Hi all,

Thanks for providing me with all this advice and motivation... unluckily cat turned out to be a disaster for me this yr(got just 96.5) although i did have a good exam... i got 98 when i was a fresher 2 yrs back... and although i got calls from xlri and some other top institutes i was not able to convert them due to some reason or the other... so i feel like i haven't achieved according to my full potential and as i have to take admission into an mba this yr(due to some issues of my own) i decided that i would take admission into a decent college with a not so high fees(dont want to throw names here as i believe every college is a brand in itself) this yr and just give one more crack at it while studying there... your posts have now really shown me a ray of hope over here and thank you all for that....

1 Like

dont we have to deposit certificates like college leaving certis that r not given back ?