Raise a flag if you are mathematically challenged

If you’re terrible with numbers and great with words, please say aye! I have always struggled at number-crunching. As a matter of fact, I have developed a certain aversion to numbers. I know it’s fatal to my MBA prospects, but I have been unable t…

If you're terrible with numbers and great with words, please say aye! I have always struggled at number-crunching. As a matter of fact, I have developed a certain aversion to numbers. I know it's fatal to my MBA prospects, but I have been unable to shake it off.

While I'm taking a test (mock or real), I polish off the verbal questions with relish and look at the quant questions with utter distaste. I rarely have any trouble with synonyms, antonyms, RCs or word usage. On the flip side, I am usually unable to solve the simplest time-speed-distance problems or get my head around the basics of....anything to do with quant, really. I skip most questions in the Quantitative Aptitude section, have a half-decent stab at the DI questions and pray that the few guesses I've made work in my favour. When I go to work on the verbal questions, I feel a sense of nirvana. It's always good to be in familiar territory where things are largely under your control.

I usually score in the high nineties (95-99%ile) on the verbal section and the forties on the quant section. When I look at my scorecard, my brain whispers to my soul "If only you had performed as well on the QA section as you have on the VA section." It's a bad, bad feeling.

I need help. I must bring my quant skills up to scratch if I am to get into any of the top B-schools in the country. If you've walked a mile in my shoes, please comment here. If you were in my boat until you decided that you wanted to get into the IIMs, please tell me how you went about improving your quant skills. If you are a number-crunching demon, please tell me what I should do to bring my game up to your level.

I request you to say more than just "Get in a lot of practice!" I know that's a must-do, but I am also looking for tips and methods to augment my efforts.

Thanks a ton!

N.B.: It must be evident that I am not an engineer.