Ragging in B-Schools

Keeping it short. I’m hoping that people from the respective institutes will answer. Emotionally charged diatribes from morons still passing through puberty, or baseless speculations from folks without experience are not required. Objec…

Keeping it short. I'm hoping that people from the respective institutes will answer.

Emotionally charged diatribes from morons still passing through puberty, or baseless speculations from folks without experience are not required.

Objective, concise answers will do.

1. Is there ragging in IIMA (hell week), IIMB (hell week) and IIMC (con week)? What are the initiation rituals?

2. Is it true that during a birthday celebration at these places, you're asked to describe to the attending audience how you'd like to have sex with a senior of your choice, with a good level of detail?

4. How are married folks treated at IIM's? In the same way? I'm married, so will I still be asked to comply with number 2?

Important Note: My questions are purely inquisitive. I've not made any judgmental remarks or expressed any opinion.
Mod Edit: 3 is irrelevant. Everything else, i think, would make for interesting reading.

Too many requests for Deleting/Closing this thread? I've edited out what I think is irrelevant. Everything else, I believe, deserves a good answer.

Let us be honest-- Ragging is prevalent in all schools in India. Are you brave enough to admit it? I did my Engg in India and i have had my fair share of friends who've gone through b-schools in India, so please, don't anyone tell me that there isn't any ragging. Given how many engineers we put into b-schools, there is always going to be some.

The question remains: Are we mature enough to admit that this exists, and
1.) we are honestly working on removing it OR
2.) Like the regular indian mentality "sab chalta hai" and we dont care if its happening or not OR
3.) Seriously, nothing of this sort happens.

Too many requests for Deleting/Closing this thread? I've edited out what I think is irrelevant. Everything else, I believe, deserves a good answer.

Hi Neo2000,

I totally agree with your views considering the larger picture of ragging.

As for the first post in this thread, a few points:

1. PG being a public forum, one should exhibit a sense of decency when posting something over here. Especially when it's a request. If you were sitting in a group and someone comes over and bluntly says 'Emotionally charged diatribes from morons still passing through puberty, or baseless speculations from folks without experience are not required.', I wonder how you would feel about the tone of the question. English still hasn't lost its share of polite words.

2. The primary reason why the post elicited lots of 'delete requests' were because of point 3. Wonder why that guy was asking for video links. That did deserve a 'bad post' tag. Since you have edited the post, all is fine.

3. The targeted audience for that post are people from IIMs ABC. Hence,
3a. Assuming what was being mentioned in the first post were true, do you think that people from these institutes (with IIM ABC tag under their username) would come forward and confirm all that here at PG? On another note, with the powers vested upon you as a moderator, would it not be possible for you to direct the question to the IIM folks over here?
3b. Since the question is targeted at B Schoolers, the post should've been made in 'Life@BSchools' thread. Anyway, it's your call.

Just to make things a bit clearer: If he wanted relevant replies, the post should've been made in a manner similar to yours. And finally, in a positive sense, I look forward to any replies B Schoolers have to make on this topic.

Thanks.
Hi Neo2000,
1. PG being a public forum, one should exhibit a sense of decency when posting something over here. Especially when it's a request. If you were sitting in a group and someone comes over and bluntly says 'Emotionally charged diatribes from morons still passing through puberty, or baseless speculations from folks without experience are not required.', I wonder how you would feel about the tone of the question. English still hasn't lost its share of polite words.

There wasn't any need for you to get affected by that "emotionally" line since it wasn't directed at you in particular. that was a generalized statement. sure, he could have put it a better way but you and i both know that in a thread like this, we are going to get people who define that category.

3. The targeted audience for that post are people from IIMs ABC. Hence,
3a. Assuming what was being mentioned in the first post were true, do you think that people from these institutes (with IIM ABC tag under their username) would come forward and confirm all that here at PG?

This should be the fun part. I'm pretty sure not a single soul whose identity is well known is going to admit this. those who are anonymous will admit but the very anonymity that allows them to post will also take away credibility( its a cruel world but such it goes) unless they are willing to trust PG and e-mail their info.

I also know that the "loyalty" quotient will come into play for some. so even though this exists and they do not approve, some will not speak. However, by not speaking, those people give their implicit approval to the very activities they condone, just like we vote our politicians into power election after election.

PG history is replete with stories of staunch Puys who staunchly refused to admit the various shenanigans at their college. I for one, will freely admit to being disappointed that they couldn't put their loyalty aside for the greater good. In admitting to a mistake and working to resolve it, you earn greater respect than when you deny its existence and work to hide it.

On another note, with the powers vested upon you as a moderator, would it not be possible for you to direct the question to the IIM folks over here?

Not really. it's not my responsibility to direct the discussion. you are at an age where you should question everything. my real responsibility is to keep the discussion clean and factual.

As we go forward, there is going to be a lot of talk, maybe accusation and mud-flinging. Like OP said, unless you have hard,cold fact (and you are willing to corroborate your story to PG alone) please don't post.

Break the rules, and I will Ban you.

I apologize for two things:

A. The puberty thing: Just that I get sick of seeing too many immature replies, without much thought.

B. Q3, and the video thing. Anyways, more than the question itself, I think the way I put it was inappropriate.

Back to topic:

The rabbit hole runs deeper than you think. My question may have been obnoxious, but it wasn't a cheap publicity stunt. Coming to PG and typing out crap really isn't the best way for me to kill time.

I used to have such intense respect for these prestigious BSchools of my country, until today. Infrastructure aside, I thought these places would be like LBS or UPenn in terms of people aspects (demeanor, thoughtfulness, emotional maturity etc., NOT just intellect)

But I see I've been cheated by a false propaganda maintained by the country's irresponsible media, the blind aspirations of the middle class and above all, my own ignorance and lack of research. I wish I had never gone after the damned 10L+ paycheck without finding out what I'm getting into.

You think I'm exaggerating, but you haven't seen what I've been seeing (and hearing) over the last 2 days. I feel bad.

Man I gotta convert Joka and shift in fast.

Keeping it short. I'm hoping that people from the respective institutes will answer.

Emotionally charged diatribes from morons still passing through puberty, or baseless speculations from folks without experience are not required.

Objective, concise answers will do.

1. Is there ragging in IIMA (hell week), IIMB (hell week) and IIMC (con week)? What are the initiation rituals?

2. Is it true that during a birthday celebration at these places, you're asked to describe to the attending audience how you'd like to have sex with a senior of your choice, with a good level of detail?

4. How are married folks treated at IIM's? In the same way? I'm married, so will I still be asked to comply with number 2?

Important Note: My questions are purely inquisitive. I've not made any judgmental remarks or expressed any opinion.
Mod Edit: 3 is irrelevant. Everything else, i think, would make for interesting reading.

1. Just ask yourself: In MBA courses like those in IIMs, is it really possible that there would be any "ragging"? Most students are at least 23-24 years old, the average age would be around 24-25. There are many students who are in their late 20s, and some even in their early 30s. (Yes, even in the PGP programmes.) Thus, students are much more mature than in an undergrad programme. It's just a two-year course. Many "juniors" would be older than many "seniors". Many "juniors" would have greater amount of work-ex than many "seniors". Some students, including "juniors", have families, even kids. A "junior" of mine this year at IIM-C stays in the campus with her 5-6 year old son and her mother/mother-in-law, and I see her every morning sending the kid to school. Another "junior" is an ex-Air Force guy with some 5-6 years of experience in the Indian Air Force.

Ask yourself: is it really possible to have a practice of "ragging" year after year in such an environment?

2. No. At least in IIM Calcutta, that does not happen, and I have never heard of anything like it happening.

Seriously, where did you hear of this one?

4. They are treated the same way. Except that if they are much older, they might be more "respected". If married students stay in separate accommodation, they might miss out on the fun stuff happening in the hostels, though.

I cannot speak about the situation in all B-schools or IIM A/B, however, in IIM Calcutta, no student is ever forced to do anything against his/her will by other students. There might be peer pressure, and it's up to individuals to decide whether they want to participate in anything.

I apologize for two things:

A. The puberty thing: Just that I get sick of seeing too many immature replies, without much thought.

B. Q3, and the video thing. Anyways, more than the question itself, I think the way I put it was inappropriate.

Back to topic:

The rabbit hole runs deeper than you think. My question may have been obnoxious, but it wasn't a cheap publicity stunt. Coming to PG and typing out crap really isn't the best way for me to kill time.

I used to have such intense respect for these prestigious BSchools of my country, until today. Infrastructure aside, I thought these places would be like LBS or UPenn in terms of people aspects (demeanor, thoughtfulness, emotional maturity etc., NOT just intellect)

But I see I've been cheated by a false propaganda maintained by the country's irresponsible media, the blind aspirations of the middle class and above all, my own ignorance and lack of research. I wish I had never gone after the damned 10L+ paycheck without finding out what I'm getting into.

You think I'm exaggerating, but you haven't seen what I've been seeing (and hearing) over the last 2 days. I feel bad.

Relax! Is it the Libyan crisis or the Japan quake or the Supermoon thing that is causing all these emotions?