Questions for Bschool students...

Hi People, I’m a Fall 2006 apirant targeting a US MBA. Over the next few weeks, I intend to meet with MBA students from Stern and perhaps Darden and Yale. If you guys have any specific questions that let me know I will try to get the…

Hi People,

I'm a Fall 2006 apirant targeting a US MBA.
Over the next few weeks, I intend to meet with MBA students from Stern and perhaps Darden and Yale.

If you guys have any *specific* questions that let me know I will try to get them answered...

Planning to meet a stern 2nd yr this weekend...

Cheers,
mba05

Anybody ???

Hey, I have sent you a PM with some queries, please mail me or reply to the message, once you get some Info. Thanks a lot 😃

i'll send you a reply shortly..did you have anything specific to Stern ?

Hi MBA05,

I have requested you to share your Darden visit experience on another thread as I didn't notice this thread earlier. After you meet the students and visit campuses would it be possible for you to compare your experiences. I have noticed that on their own each school/student tries to give the best impression but the comparative analysis would differentiate the oranges and apples.

Specifically, for Darden students can you ask them what is the one thing which they would like to be changed at Darden?

Also, I have heard that Yale has initiated a funding scheme for students from families with less than $35,000 in annual income. Can you confirm if this is applicable from this year onwards and what are the terms & conditions ? I am not able to find the information on their website.

Thanks a ton.

Hi Vipin,

Sorry I didnt see your post.
I havent visited Darden yet, still kinda researching the school, I plan to visit (depending on the outcome of my research) the school in Dec / Jan...

I assume you are a R2 applicant ?
I have visited Stern...if you're interested lemme know..

About Yale, I havent decided on the school yet..on the face of it the 35K thing looks like something that would be restricted to citizens and perm residents but if I come across some info I'll let you know...

BTW, Why Yale ?

hi,
i m gonna give iift in this coming sunday
i wanna know is their any sectional cut offs
some r saying their is some r saying their is not
pls do let me know
i m really worried reallying dying to get into iift
pls help me
reply soooonplssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

hi,
i m gonna give iift in this coming sunday
i wanna know is their any sectional cut offs
some r saying their is some r saying their is not
pls do let me know
i m really worried reallying dying to get into iift
pls help me
reply soooonplssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Hello gayatri,
You may not get your answers here, as this is not the right thread. (This is for discussions on MBA abroad). So please do a search on the appropriate threads.

Good luck!

Hi guys,
How much does it cost to apply to an international b school (US, APAC, Australia and Europe)? Also please let me know any site or book where i can get more information on the admission process and the expenses involved.
regards

Hey Virgin_God,

You may want to start with this thread. It will tell you about some books you can refer to understand the process in depth.

Next, read Simba's articles on International MBA here on PG: Parts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5,and 6. Once you are done, I am sure you will not need to ask for basic information.

As usual, search the threads before you post.

HTH

Cheers
-S

Hi Vipin,
Sorry I didnt see your post.
I havent visited Darden yet, still kinda researching the school, I plan to visit (depending on the outcome of my research) the school in Dec / Jan...
I assume you are a R2 applicant ?
I have visited Stern...if you're interested lemme know..
About Yale, I havent decided on the school yet..on the face of it the 35K thing looks like something that would be restricted to citizens and perm residents but if I come across some info I'll let you know...
BTW, Why Yale ?

No issues..I am EA applicant to Darden and am going to interview with them tomorrow in Delhi. Anything you could share about Darden, whenever you can, would be a great help. Thanks!

I was interested in Stern but was dissuaded by the fact that they only provide limted funding and I am not in a position to afford an NYC MBA on my own..kinda sad :(

I like Yale as I have a long term goal of social enterprise and Yale is very strong in the area, along with public policy. It has a major presence on the Net Impact circuit. They enjoy a strong reputation in finance and being in New Haven, placements in NY/NJ should not be a problem, I guess. Also, being a small school I am assuming that I would not feel like I am lost in a crowd. I guess the list of reasons goes on but these are some which come to mind. I would have applied to Yale R1 but either they didn't have or I didn't find any guaranteed loan opportunities on their website ( this guaranteed loan thing has made my list of schools easy to manage but short at the same time ). I can see a guaranteed loan on their website now and the Yale application is a breeze as compared to other top 20 B-schools.

Thanks again for volunteering to share your experiences. Have you tried blogging ? You would become a famous blogger at least amongst the lakhs of B-school applicants if you share your experiences on a blog.
No issues..I am EA applicant to Darden and am going to interview with them tomorrow in Delhi. Anything you could share about Darden, whenever you can, would be a great help. Thanks!

I was interested in Stern but was dissuaded by the fact that they only provide limted funding and I am not in a position to afford an NYC MBA on my own..kinda sad :(

I like Yale as I have a long term goal of social enterprise and Yale is very strong in the area, along with public policy. It has a major presence on the Net Impact circuit. They enjoy a strong reputation in finance and being in New Haven, placements in NY/NJ should not be a problem, I guess. Also, being a small school I am assuming that I would not feel like I am lost in a crowd. I guess the list of reasons goes on but these are some which come to mind. I would have applied to Yale R1 but either they didn't have or I didn't find any guaranteed loan opportunities on their website ( this guaranteed loan thing has made my list of schools easy to manage but short at the same time ). I can see a guaranteed loan on their website now and the Yale application is a breeze as compared to other top 20 B-schools.

Thanks again for volunteering to share your experiences. Have you tried blogging ? You would become a famous blogger at least amongst the lakhs of B-school applicants if you share your experiences on a blog.

Stern loan for internationals does cover tuition fees.

if you're interested in the non-profit sector Yale is the right choice. I visited the univ a few years ago and its awesome. Their MBA brand is weak though. CT is also an expensive place.

Blogging would be draining esp. after the essays - i dont have much to say actually...
All the best with the Darden interview..i think primarily they would focus on your fit with the case method - its stamped all over their application process.

A simple query. I'm emboldened by my score, 730. in a way i'm looking at US B-Schools now (top 30 something). (earlier only NUS,NTU were on my radar)
will i be able to get top 20 or top 30 within 25 lacs or nearabouts? ...i mean would i be realistic if i apply to TUCK, SAID, UCB, COLUMBIA...this yr. i.e FALL-2006 with 1.5 yrs. of work-ex?

chalo if i'm for fall-2007. till then i would have had 2.5 yrs. of work-ex. then watts the scene on the finances front..how realistic is the scholarship scenario..?? plzz reply..thanks
SHEKHAR

Hi shekhar,

Not sure if that question was addressed to me or if this is the right place for it but this is what i think:
If you look at students that have got into top schools - they all had a great story, a history of achievements - not necessarily 10 std merit etc, excellent communication skills and demonstrated leadership skills.

And it is also a numbers game.

Once you start researching the MBA you will realize that you are the best person to answer your question.

MBA in the US is frightfully expensive - schools like Simon, Babson will throw money at *TOP* candidates.

You are in a better position to benefit after 3-4 yrs of work ex. Maybe then confict management and negotiation courses might actually make sense.

That said, if you think you qualify, by all means apply.

Hey mba05, Nice of you to help our folks out here! :)

Simba -

well..i'm an applicant myself...so very much a part of the 'folks'...
still lurking around 'eh...