Query

Hi All, I am sorry for the rather obscure title, but just couldn’t find a good one… Anyways, Here my question: I have scored 650 in GMAT and my overall experience is 2 yrs (in Microsoft) My UG grade is: 3.5 and while I during my UG …

Hi All,

I am sorry for the rather obscure title, but just couldn't find a good one..
Anyways, Here my question:

I have scored 650 in GMAT and my overall experience is 2 yrs (in Microsoft)
My UG grade is: 3.5 and while I during my UG days I was heavily involved in various extracurricular activities, held the post of the Cultural Sec both of the college and the University (that had about 30 colleges under it). Was also responsible for overseeing the activities of Dept. of Student's Welfare of the University which included a lot of travelling, encouraging women students to showcase their skills- in short women empowerment. Also wrote a few articles for TOI.

As far as my work in Microsoft is concerned, I worked as Program Manager handling various projects and my recos are pretty good. I had to unfortunately leave MS due to a family problem, thus continuing my job is not an option. Anyways I want to delve into the entrepreneurship line, and thus the need to do an MBA

1. However I am wondering if my low GMAT score and my low work exp. will work against me?
2. Should I bother applying at top b-schools?
3. How do I approach my essays for b-schools? Do I highlight or stress my UG days ? Do I talk about my low GMAT score due to having just 2 weeks for preparation as my dad was ill and I had to take care of him? (though it seems to sound like an excuse)
4. Which round should I apply? I do have most of my essays ready, just need to polish them

Any pointers/ help will be really appreciated....

Thanks in advance

Cheers!
Vanavamp 😃

Hi vanavamp

GMAT is only a part of the overall evaluation of a cadidates profile.If you look at it, almost all schools have candidates with GMAT score of 500-800. Let this not be hinderance for you to apply for top b-schools. Nothing wrong in trying.

Low GMAT and work ex can always be explained in the essays.

As for essays, it really depends on which school you are applying for. General rule is that you have to highlight your stregths in chronological order.

Dont bother about the rounds. Apply when you are ready.