Query regarding work-ex

i am a 2007 btech passout and now am working in a reputed company.I want to do my mba as fast as possible because i feel down the lane i might lose interest.So i want to write cat-07.But the problem is my company has a ‘commitment’(not a bond,i ha…

i am a 2007 btech passout and now am working in a reputed company.I want to do my mba as fast as possible because i feel down the lane i might lose interest.So i want to write cat-07.But the problem is my company has a 'commitment'(not a bond,i haven't signed any papers) that i work for 3 years.And my manager has made it clear that if someone was to leave the company before a period of 3 yrs,he would not give me an experience certificate.

My question is - will this create any problem in my admissions?Suppose i get through a b-school,will it create problems during my mba placements?Please help me out...

Guess you should start looking for other Jobs...
Any Job, with such kind of a manager whoz kinda BlackMailing you, isn't worth it. You are a B.Tech passout & you can try find another job. And if you put in hard work, you can crack CAT and do your MBA.

Absolutely.....bad managers go a long way in contributing to a frustrated MBA aspirant.And you can walk out of the job anyday....if you have not signed any bond you can move right on his face and he is not entitled to do anything.

i am a 2007 btech passout and now am working in a reputed company.I want to do my mba as fast as possible because i feel down the lane i might lose interest.So i want to write cat-07.But the problem is my company has a 'commitment'(not a bond,i haven't signed any papers) that i work for 3 years.And my manager has made it clear that if someone was to leave the company before a period of 3 yrs,he would not give me an experience certificate.

My question is - will this create any problem in my admissions?Suppose i get through a b-school,will it create problems during my mba placements?Please help me out...

As rightly said by others, if you can change the job, nothing like it.

When u go for GD/PI....producing latest salary slips and offer letter is suffice. But when u join B school u need to have exp certificate and reliving letter to make you an eligible candidate for laterals.

As it is i guess , most companies require 18-24 moths of work ex for you to be eligible for laterals.

Since you are a 2007 pass out i.e a fresher, relevant work experience shouldn't be a deciding factor for your b school interviews post CAT 2007.
So don't worry about that.
However, as rmbt pointed out,even an experience of a few months albeit less is STILL work experience and hence needs to be projected as such.
If u can change jobs before CAT 2007 nothing like it, it'll stand u in good stead in case u plan to give cat again post 2007.:)

Hi,
according to your query ..as per the info u throw regarding your ambition it clearly shows that u r very much intrested to clear MBA this year only. So your work exp will not matter any more for your placements coz u will have merely 1 year exp before joing any top B school...coz atleast 18 to 22 months work exp is necaasry for lateral placements in any good B school.
And u know that to do MBA u have decided in the college only so u can convince the interview panel ......

So all the best for CAT 2007:)

hi rmbt
i m atul ....i did my btech in 2006 and right now working in tcs......u mentioned that during laterals an experience certificate is must......do companies ask for these certificates or the placement cell of the particular coll ask for that......will sal slips wont work here....i mean does it depend from company to company.....pls elaborate...as i have to pay a hefty 80000 rs to get an experience certificate .........thanx in adv

hi rmbt
i m atul ....i did my btech in 2006 and right now working in tcs......u mentioned that during laterals an experience certificate is must......do companies ask for these certificates or the placement cell of the particular coll ask for that......will sal slips wont work here....i mean does it depend from company to company.....pls elaborate...as i have to pay a hefty 80000 rs to get an experience certificate .........thanx in adv

It can be either placement team or the company which have a look at the document.

So its imperative for you to have these , to make you eligible for laterals.Salary slips will not work. You need to have a service certificate.

Thanks a lot for all those who replied to my query. It was rightly pointed out that bad managers contribute to a large extent for the frustration of mba aspirants. But i seriously doubt my guy...He could as well say it to prevent people from thinking of higher studies or switching over to other companies.In other words,he could just be scaring me for all we know!!

But still,thanks again for everyone who responded.

hi rmbt

Hi atul.. i am also exactly in same situation as u... me also in tcs and have to pay 80000.. i have 12 months work ex by now.. i joined in june 2006.. i am joinin mdi now..the problem is i asked few seniors at mdi but every1 is givin different opinion, no1 actually knows a person who broke a bond.. it also depends on company to company..
i have mostly decided not to pay the money and take a chance as i feel 12 months don't matter much and tht too when i have IT experience and I am lookin for hard core finance profiles post mba.. I know its a risk but 80000 is huge money and i have already lost/spent lots of money on various universities to block my seat etc..
Other puys, plz gimme opinion and more imp if neone frm MDI can help me it wud be gr8..

@atul do let me know wat u doin abt the bond..

Thanks,
Vishal

i have mostly decided not to pay the money and take a chance as i feel 12 months don't matter much and tht too when i have IT experience and I am lookin for hard core finance profiles post mba.. I know its a risk but 80000 is huge money and i have already lost/spent lots of money on various universities to block my seat etc..

Well, 12 months of work ex wont make of much of a difference. Max wat companies do is that, they give some fixed CTC to freshers and then give 50k or something for every year of work ex you have.

For ex, Goldman sachs offered 8.5 LPA and then 1 lakh for every year of work.

So ya, giving 80k isnt justified.

hey..

I am BCOM graduate n totally confused about the work -ex thing..pls help me out

I've done my graduation from mumbai but my parents r based in dubai..i wanna have a career in communications n dream to goto mica in future..however i feel like workin this year n gettin some good experience in the field before goin in for a hard core post grad programme..

what i'd like to know is how much of work exp wud be sufficient enough to help me in the placements after my post grad..n secondly..where wud it be better to get the exp in dubai or india?..n yeah if i stay in dubai when shd i give my gmats to take up the mass comm courses in mica n symbi?..pls help me..i'm really confused..thanks

hey.
what i'd like to know is how much of work exp wud be sufficient enough to help me in the placements after my post grad..n secondly..where wud it be better to get the exp in dubai or india?..n yeah if i stay in dubai when shd i give my gmats to take up the mass comm courses in mica n symbi?..pls help me..i'm really confused..thanks

To be on a safer side, two years work ex would be sufficient in the same field. Min of 15 months.

More than Dubai and India, its the profile and work you learn and do.

Ill advice you to work for 1 year and then go to college that means appear for GMAT in March 08.(though i m not sure abt GMAT thing)

You can get more info on GMAT section of the forum.

All the best.

----------------------------------------------

Hello Evryone,
This is my first post.I have some doubt.i need all who are out here to help me. I have scored 82.93% in 10 th , 72.93% 12 th and 6.5 CGPA or you can say 65.53% in Engg.After completing my engg in computer science i am working with TCS for 1 YR 5 mnths.I have decided to take CAT and other cometitave mba exam this year 2011.I have good comunication skills ans interpersonal skills.Organised events in colleges and also in TCS.Is that to get inti top 10 b school u have to be some1 who scored above 85-90% throgh out the carrer,mine is low.plz guide me.i know somany factors afttect the conversion into a gud mba college.I want to get into a top10 mba college how much it important to have a gud consistent carrer.