Queries regarding European MBA admissions and placement

Hi All, I have been reading the messages on this forum for a while now but now I have a query of mine which some of you might be able to answer. This is basically regarding MBA courses in Europe, I will be referring to only the top 20 universiti…

Hi All,
I have been reading the messages on this forum for a while now but now I have a query of mine which some of you might be able to answer. This is basically regarding MBA courses in Europe, I will be referring to only the top 20 universities in Europe.

1. What is the situation regarding placements after doing the course? I am told that unlike in India there is no concept of companies actually coming to the campus for recruitment. Mostly it's done by either the "networking" route or if you have done some sort of project/internship in the company you would stand a chance. Can someone clarify this please.

2. What is the nature of the admission interview conducted by European universities? I have attended 2 interviews in India about 5 years back(that was for SOM-IITB and for SPJIMR)--in both these cases the interviewer was asking pretty much anything. With regard to European universities is it the same case or will it be more of career/personal ambition related questions?

My background:
I have done B.E. in Electrical Engg. from Mumbai Univ., I have 7+ years of work ex in the IT sector, currently working at a managerial level in one of the world's leading internet security company in their EMEA headquarters in Ireland.

Awaiting replies,
Strongbow

he man check this: - http://geocities.com/topmbaprograms/Top5MBA.htm aim for moon even if u miss, u will land among stars........

1. What is the situation regarding placements after doing the course? I am told that unlike in India there is no concept of companies actually coming to the campus for recruitment. Mostly it's done by either the "networking" route or if you have done some sort of project/internship in the company you would stand a chance. Can someone clarify this please.

Hmmm, yes. It is the case everywhere abroad. Only in India do we see companies coming in & recruiting but everywhere else, it is how much u are ready to go out & get that 'great' offer. But also, there are hordes of companies & big dudes sropping by all the time. Its more like building networks, being at the righttime in the right place etc etc 😃

2. What is the nature of the admission interview conducted by European universities? I have attended 2 interviews in India about 5 years back(that was for SOM-IITB and for SPJIMR)--in both these cases the interviewer was asking pretty much anything. With regard to European universities is it the same case or will it be more of career/personal ambition related questions?

The interview is on a much professional level. Its nothing close to what the guys ask here in India!! 😃 You will be asked about ur career progress & ur future goals etc etc... its just not about the answers but the passion u put forth while answering them. They might ask you questions both careerwise & personalwise.. but I doubt they ask you about the actual technicalities in ur job!!! :)

Hope that helps!
Simba

Thanks Simba. Your replies are much appreciated.

A few more points for others considering a European MBA.

The average age is higher than what you'd come across in the US. This translates to more experience and richer classroom interactions. The range of nationalities is also broader compared to US schools. In several schools, the locals (citizens of the country) are outnumbered by those from other countries.

MBA education in Europe is younger than in the US. MBA has its roots in the US, and schools there have bigger alumni networks. Except LBS and MBA, most programs (programmes!) are around 1 yr in duration. So the year becomes much more intense and there's lesser scope for work-and-learn options (like GA, RA, TA in the US). So get your finances in shape before you jump in.