Queries for those who have been there, done that

Hi All Was thinking of pursuing a phoren MBA in case CAT doesn’t work out this year. I was considering only the top rung institutes: HBS, Stan, Wharton, etc. Any gyaan available from people would be appreciated. And yes, I have searched the f…

Hi All

Was thinking of pursuing a phoren MBA in case CAT doesn't work out this year. I was considering only the top rung institutes: HBS, Stan, Wharton, etc. Any gyaan available from people would be appreciated. And yes, I have searched the forums, but didn't find answers to some of these questions. Kindly oblige

About these recommendation letters: Is it advisable to get them from Prof.'s or from direct superiors after a bit of work ex ? I mean, when you are actually that good at your job, why would your boss give you a good reco.? So that you can up and leave after 3/4 years of good sevice? I may be looking at this the wrong way, so please correct me...

About previous acads: Can I compensate for average/below average acads with extra currics and leadership positions held (got 'em by the bucketload!), along with a stellar GMAT score (hopefully) ? What if I was an IITian? I mean its a much tougher place to be in as compared to other Engg. Instis. Specifically, any examples of people who have done so ?

About work ex: "Necessary" or not ? Apriori, I think the applicant would have to be nothing short of a demi god to get it, but wanted some of your views.

Thanks re,

QGM

Hi All

Was thinking of pursuing a phoren MBA in case CAT doesn't work out this year. I was considering only the top rung institutes: HBS, Stan, Wharton, etc. Any gyaan available from people would be appreciated. And yes, I have searched the forums, but didn't find answers to some of these questions. Kindly oblige

Well indeed a good plan.... but just some warnings

There is always(consciously or otherwise) certain line of thought by every applicant when he/she applies to any b-skool (Indian or otherwise).... just remember that

1) The line of thought entirely changes when you apply for "foren" bskools than when you apply for "desi" bskools
2) There is major difference in though process when applying to two "foren" bskools like HBS and Wharton, but not much when applying to two "desi" bskools like IIM-A and IIM-B.

I am NOT sure that there are many aspirants for GMAT + foren bskools on this forum, although you can find ppl apping for 'GMAT + ISB'

Some of the forums/groups which might give you more info about what you are looking at are

1) www.topscore.com
2) www.gmatclub.com
3) www.testmagic.com
4) BusinessWeek Forum
5) http://mbaleague.blogspot.com/

About these recommendation letters: Is it advisable to get them from Prof.'s or from direct superiors after a bit of work ex ? I mean, when you are actually that good at your job, why would your boss give you a good reco.? So that you can up and leave after 3/4 years of good sevice? I may be looking at this the wrong way, so please correct me...

It depends on school to school. But if you are working you would realise that who among "Your Prof" and "Your immediate supervisor" would give a more realistic picture about you ?

There are several reasons why your boss would give you recommendations:

1) He is mature enough to realise that every person has his/her own ambition/dreams in life
2) He is mature enough to realise that you can not control anyone's personal life even if you are BOSS
3) He realises that "a dis-appointed/dis-satisfied/dis-heartened" employee is far worse than someone who might work gleefully for another six months if he supports his future plans. If I am the BOSS, I would be more than "happy" to have someone who gives his 100% at this point in time than someone who gives even 4) He has more than amicable relations with you.

About previous acads: Can I compensate for average/below average acads with extra currics and leadership positions held (got 'em by the bucketload!), along with a stellar GMAT score (hopefully) ? What if I was an IITian? I mean its a much tougher place to be in as compared to other Engg. Instis. Specifically, any examples of people who have done so ?

Ofcourse ...every little piece of information matters...otherwise how you gonna differentiate between hundreds and thousands of applicants....
Yes...I believe that you can always have good and convincing reasons for any of your "weaknesses" including poor acads.

For foren b-skools I bellieve that being an IITian just might be another positive(but remember this will not clinch the deal) since they have heard a lot about IITs than any other engg coll of India.

About work ex: "Necessary" or not ? Apriori, I think the applicant would have to be nothing short of a demi god to get it, but wanted some of your views.

Thanks re,

QGM

Work-ex is an institue specific criterion. Look at the institute site as per the candidates they are looking for. Example IIM-A started a new PG program (PGPX) which mandates 7 years of work ex.

HTH
Ketan
Hi All

Hey QGM, just wondering what special talents you have to "considering only the top rung institutes: HBS, Stan, Wharton, etc." ?? You need to have impeccable credentials (along with a whole lot of chutzpah) to say that. I am not trying to belittle you QGM so please don't misunderstand me. What I mean is there are guys with flawless academic records, stellar workexperience and mindboggling GMAT scores who would shudder making such a claim.

"after a bit of work ex ?"

Do I presume you have none. In which case I would ask you to concentrate on doing well in the corporate world. Those high salaries that freshers are getting these days obfuscates the demands and pressure of corporate life. Regarding the superior's disapproval reasons given by Ketan hit the nail on the head.

(1) No amount of extracurriculars is going to compensate a poor academic record. A good GMAT score on the other hand might do the trick. Extracurriculars are just what they are - EXTRA so no points for guessing why they never got renamed as CO curriculars.

(2) If you have not even taken GMAT so far then I believe your questions are premature. I don't say my English is great shakes, but I know how to read and write decently. Do you know my VA percentile in GMAT ? 63%ile !! I am not saying everyone gets such low scores (I had a really bad-hair day) but you need to be careful. Get me a 700+ and lets then talk about things :)

About work ex: "Necessary" or not ?

Work ex necessary ? I didnt get it.

Apriori, I think the applicant would have to be nothing short of a demi god to get it, but wanted some of your views.

My closing thoughts on this are : you are jumping the gun if you dont have a valid GMAT score and enough experience.

At the same time, doesn't mean you cannot be aware of what is required. Ketan gives some good links, you may do well to browse through them. Do enough R&D;, take gmat, get workexp and post again.

HTH,

Arun

Subject: Queries for those who have been there, done that

BTW, was reading Arun's reply and realised the "subject" title of your post.

Sorry...I am NOT the one "who have been there, done that" so the usual disclaimers apply

Ketan
Hi All

Hey QGM, just wondering what special talents you have to "considering only the top rung institutes: HBS, Stan, Wharton, etc." ?? You need to have impeccable credentials (along with a whole lot of chutzpah) to say that. I am not trying to belittle you QGM so please don't misunderstand me. What I mean is there are guys with flawless academic records, stellar workexperience and mindboggling GMAT scores who would shudder making such a claim.

When I am considering some Univ., I'm not assuming I'm going to get in. Hence, there is no claim - only a consideration . Just checking my chances with people who have some insights or experience in the matter. Heck, I could be at the bottom of my class in some sidey local college and still consider applying, the chances of me getting in are a different matter.
The only thing I'm sure of is that I'm clearing the chutzpah cutoff, if nothing else.

"after a bit of work ex ?"

Do I presume you have none. In which case I would ask you to concentrate on doing well in the corporate world. Those high salaries that freshers are getting these days obfuscates the demands and pressure of corporate life. Regarding the superior's disapproval reasons given by Ketan hit the nail on the head.

Agree with him. Of course, in retrospect, that question may have been a bit immature, but hey, I don't have workex, so I really don't know how the corporate world functions in such matters. Agree with his points.

(1) No amount of extracurriculars is going to compensate a poor academic record. A good GMAT score on the other hand might do the trick. Extracurriculars are just what they are - EXTRA so no points for guessing why they never got renamed as CO curriculars.

(2) If you have not even taken GMAT so far then I believe your questions are premature. I don't say my English is great shakes, but I know how to read and write decently. Do you know my VA percentile in GMAT ? 63%ile !! I am not saying everyone gets such low scores (I had a really bad-hair day) but you need to be careful. Get me a 700+ and lets then talk about things :)

I have heard some counter arguments to the same regarding previous acads, but I will assume the worst case scenario - yours

As a followup, can I offset average academics (besides GMAT)? Seems unlikely that a candidate who has messed up his UG will NEVER be accepted in the top 10. But I don't have any experience in that field either.

Well it may seem like a premature posting, you asked me to get a score of 700+ etc. but keep in mind that the answers I get would help me decide whether I should write GMAT at all. See, I feel that given enough time, effort, etc. a score of 700+ is achievable. Speaking on the basis of few mocks I have given. Lets say I go to all that trouble, score a 700 after 2 years of workex, and then I find out that because of my UG acads, I will not get into my choice of Univ. Bahut bura katega

Comments invited. Flames also welcomed.

QGM

Just checking my chances with people who have some insights or experience in the matter.

The best way to _check_ your chances is to *understand* the admission procedure of various b-skools and then decide how you fair up to those who were successful.

As a followup, can I offset average academics (besides GMAT)? Seems unlikely that a candidate who has messed up his UG will NEVER be accepted in the top 10. But I don't have any experience in that field either.

Well, I dont think there is anything like "offseting" one parameter by other. But the admission committee understands that a person can'nt be stellar performer in _every_ sphere of life, so they would rather require a _convincing_ reason for your apllication's weak points.

Well it may seem like a premature posting, you asked me to get a score of 700+ etc. but keep in mind that the answers I get would help me decide whether I should write GMAT at all. See, I feel that given enough time, effort, etc. a score of 700+ is achievable. Speaking on the basis of few mocks I have given. Lets say I go to all that trouble, score a 700 after 2 years of workex, and then I find out that because of my UG acads, I will not get into my choice of Univ. Bahut bura katega

If these answers are your decision criterion for giving GMAT, then boy I suggest you take a break and spend a good amount of time on introspection as to why you are *staring* at this path of MBA.

No offense meant and none taken and I hate flaming

HTH
Ketan
PS1: There are few GODS (and one GODDESS ) on this forum (Arun is one of them), so be a little polite and receptive and you will learn a great deal from them.....sacchi
PS2: Learn to use the "quote" button properly

Hi

Didn't mean to offend anyone, esp. any of the regular posters (arun)...so if I have, then I'm sorry. That's where the difference in perceiving a written post comes in - I wrote in with something else in mind, and I guess it came off as something else. Will be more careful in the future.

Hi

Didn't mean to offend anyone, esp. any of the regular posters (arun)...so if I have, then I'm sorry. That's where the difference in perceiving a written post comes in - I wrote in with something else in mind, and I guess it came off as something else. Will be more careful in the future.

Hey QGM,

Wasnt too regulary in checking PG these days so missed your post. I didnot feel offended ofcourse !!! I understand your state of mind and at times it better to be blunt than euphemistic right ?

Baaki I think you do your R&D; and stuff but only after you gain some corporate maturity will you be able to understand the gravity of applying to H/W/S. I have 5+yrs total workexp and am 28 and yet feel am "unequipped" to mee the challenges a true world-class MBA program would throw at me, hence taking a rain-check.

HTH,

Arun

PS: Ketan ur being too nice I think your posts have the best value/junk ratio (meaning no of good posts upon no of bekaar ones). I terribly loose out on this aspect.

PPS: QGM, There is this guy called htowner who has just a few but terribly awesome posts. You might want to check on what he has to say.