Quantitative/Mathamatical Finance

Hi All, This is place to discuss “QUANT” ; as they call it. Seniors/working quants are requested to guide about this area of finance. I would like to see viewes about Opportunities in India.Career paths to become a quant. PS: I…

Hi All,

This is place to discuss "QUANT" ; as they call it.

Seniors/working quants are requested to guide about this area of finance.

I would like to see viewes about Opportunities in India.Career paths to become a quant.

PS: I could not find any thread specific to Mathematical finance hence created one. Mods please delete this if here exist one.

Thanks
Rabit

IFMR Chennai and IIM Calcutta provide a course named PGDM Financial Engineering. This course is based on quantitative finance.

There is a post graduate course in Amity too which provides Financial engineering/ quantitative finance.

Now the question arises which certificate course suits Financial Engineering or quantitative finance:

FRM
ICBRR
CFA
NCFM

or any other course.

Thanks for the inputs Raghavseth---No man I really have very limited knowledge about quant.

In totally confused state now.It will be really helpful if you can find someone to ans my query.

-Rabit

any thoughts?

This document by Mark Joshi would be very helpful

www.markjoshi.com/downloads/advice.pdf

Puys, nice thread.

I have been looking such a program in india as I can't move abraod due to certain constraints...
How about the PGP in Financial Engineering offered by IIQF (India Institute of Quantative Finance, Mumbai)? It is in collaboration with Thomson Reuters!! Donno about job prospects after this but yes I checked out on it curriculum... it has something to do with C++/VBA programming which i don't think IFMR provides???
Can anyone throw some light on this pls?

@FRM_Dood said: Puys, nice thread.I have been looking such a program in india as I can't move abraod due to certain constraints... How about the PGP in Financial Engineering offered by IIQF (India Institute of Quantative Finance, Mumbai)? It is in collaboration with Thomson Reuters!! Donno about job prospects after this but yes I checked out on it curriculum... it has something to do with C++/VBA programming which i don't think IFMR provides??? Can anyone throw some light on this pls?
I think you have just checked what is required for IIQF admission test, contact IIQF for prospectus.
Any Quant Program without programming is not possible including IFMR check
http://fe.ifmr.ac.in/?page_id=274

I think it would be good to pursue the IIQF course, IFMR doesn't look that specialized.
To understand the job prospect first you need to understand the field, there are many other specialized forums where you can discuss,
The main advantage of IIQF is they provide training over Thomson Reuters platform and that's a big plus in getting job as Thomson Reuters is used world wide.
@varunaron
Don't believe on IIQF website and syllabus. lots of promise and no delivery. no one is there to help with the programming part. they will take almost 2 years to complete. And regarding Thomson Reuters platform... only TWO HOURS session during entire course. Think twice.. thrice... before investing time and money.

We are also extremely concerned at the extended time it took to complete the program the first time around and have taken determined steps towards this end going forward to rectify this.

Conducting a course of this sophistication for the first time in India is a big challenge. There are only few Quant professionals of highest caliber in India who can teach this program and we ensured that only the very best teach this course. Just to give one example, stochastic calculus which forms the heart of Quant Finance has been taught by arguably the best teacher of Stoc. Calc. for Finance in India and the same goes for the application areas.

A very good knowledge of programming is a prerequisite for the course, however, learning from our present experience we may have refresher module on programming. The course has also been revamped for the next session and that includes considerably more sessions on Thomson Reuters modules as well. The same facility is being considered to be extended to the previous batch as well. We always welcome constructive feedback that helps us to deliver the best to our students.

Interesting discussion. My 2 cents. When considering such a course I would consider the following
1. The quality of the faculty.
2. Is the course more focused on theoretical aspects (lot of lectures, project work etc) or does it involve a great deal of practical aspect? e.g. A sophisticated lab with lot of simulations etc, interface with industry, industrial projects etc
3. Location of the school - is it in one of the financial hubs - e.g. NYC, London, HK, Singapore, Mumbai
4. A partnership with a renowned institution (academia/industry) in the same field

even IMA (Institute of Mathematics & ) in Bhuveneshwar is one very good option.. any idea about it puys ...??

the IMA msc comp. finance course is far from any practical good unless u r looking for just a degree, my friend did his masters there and then joined another course for practical value add

@vquant oh, i wasnt knowing its value in the market .... do you know of any such quant courses in india that ALSO have some takers in the market ??

got 78.05 percentile in cat for which college i can apply help me out (obc category)

I think courses offered by IIQF on financial engineering are quite extensive and practical oriented..!!

Gone through their syllabus on PGPFE program..content looks GOOD..!!

The faculties are also quite impressive..one can surely have look at their course..!!

All the Best.