Pune...which colleges to apply...

hiya ppl, After my disastrous performance in CAT,the fact is slowly begining to sink in that I would never make it to the IIM’s or any of the top 10-20 bschools in India,not atleast this year. I always knew CAT was tuff,but boy!!! CAT this was…

hiya ppl,
After my disastrous performance in CAT,the fact is slowly begining to sink in that I would never make it to the IIM's or any of the top 10-20 bschools in India,not atleast this year.
I always knew CAT was tuff,but boy!!! CAT this was a catastrophe,atleast for me.

I am now seriously beginning to wonder if I should even write SNAP,i know the age old funda " it doesnt matter what you do till the D day,what mattter is how you perform on that day",this and a host of other crappy sayings sound really motivating and music to your ears....but....
neways,
I am starting this thread so that more ppl like me from pune,who faced a very similar situation like mine this last sunday may come forward and discuss the possiblites of other colleges in pune....wat say junta??? pls pour in with your views,
cheers,
frank.

hiya ppl,
After my disastrous performance in CAT,the fact is slowly begining to sink in that I would never make it to the IIM's or any of the top 10-20 bschools in India,not atleast this year.
I always knew CAT was tuff,but boy!!! CAT this was a catastrophe,atleast for me.
I know that there is SNAP which has always been my target but I dont know if I still have the same confidence to crack SNAP like I had,may be a week b4 CAT.
I am now seriously beginning to wonder if I should even write SNAP,i know the age old funda " it doesnt matter what you do till the D day,what mattter is how you perform on that day",this and a host of other crappy sayings sound really motivating and music to your ears....but....
neways,
I am starting this thread so that more ppl like me from pune,who faced a very similar situation like mine this last sunday may come forward and discuss the possiblites of other colleges in pune....
now that cat is over lets explore other avenues like maybe IMDR,IIMM, SCMLD,SIIB,Indira(I have on purpose skipped SCMHRD and SIBM,coz those two elite colleges belong to a different league all together)and try and compare these colleges so that it becomes easier to decide the best amongst them.
wat say junta??? pls pour in with your views,
cheers,
frank.

Well man, buck up, its not the end of the world. There are so many other tests yet to go, you might just still stand a chance. There are other folks too facing your dilemma, you've got to have nerves of steel to pass the test. If you feel that you lack in test preparation, go in not for any of the institutes you've mentioned. I'd rather say, do a less intensive fulltime Master's course this year, and spend some spare time gearing up for next year's admission tests right away. Do some introspection, find out what went wrong, and try to overcome your weaknesses. If you join any of these ins. you've mentioned, there will be a lot of work load, you wont get spare time for next year's admission tests, also I really doubt about the placements of these institutes.
Try to consider a professional distance learning course along with your fulltime masters, like say a CFA, or a computer course. These are just suggestions. Also, you could try for some job, whatever you get, don't let a gap-period show on your CV. All the best, the motto-- sweat till you drop, life is not easy in any way.
Scorpio,my friend!!!
I am not disheartened, just that after my perfoemance on sunday,it felt like the end of the world.
I already have a job,I work with one of the best software company in the world.By next June,i would have over 2 yrs of work ex in the IT industry,I dont think I can wait anymore.I am already 24,I also have an MSc in computer science,so another masters degree is ruled out for me.I wanna do mba so as to diversify into marketing,it always been my desire to get into marketing,but due to personal reasons I couldnt do mba after bcs.
neways,I have no regrets for whats happened,whaterver happens,happens for good,they say.
The main purpose of me starting this thread wasnt for ppl to feel sorry and sympathize with me,Yes I did feel like I was down in the dumps after CAT,but I guess it is a natural feeling for any1 whose put in some effort to feel that way after a terrible performance.I am sorry if I gave any1 the inclination that I was yearning for some condolance,let me assure you my friend that I wasnt. I just want ppl who had a similar experince to get together and discuss other possibilities just in case we do not make it into the other top instis.
The colleges that I mentioned,amongst those SIIB,IIMM do have very good placements,maybe not of the calibre of the IIM's but good nonetheless,I have friends who've passed out from the above mentioned colleges and hence I know.
The others I would like to say much expect that IMDR is also good,but they tend to focus more on personality developement which would help you immensly in your profession life but their placement is not very good.SCMLD is the brainchild of Prof. Pillai(ex diro SCMHRD) the first bacth would get placed in dec this yr so we would need to adopt a wait and watch policy.
Cheers,
frank.
Scorpio,my friend!!!
I am not disheartened, just that after my perfoemance on sunday,it felt like the end of the world.
I already have a job,I work with one of the best software company in the world.By next June,i would have over 2 yrs of work ex in the IT industry,I dont think I can wait anymore.I am already 24,I also have an MSc in computer science,so another masters degree is ruled out for me.I wanna do mba so as to diversify into marketing,it always been my desire to get into marketing,but due to personal reasons I couldnt do mba after bcs.
neways,I have no regrets for whats happened,whaterver happens,happens for good,they say.
The main purpose of me starting this thread wasnt for ppl to feel sorry and sympathize with me,Yes I did feel like I was down in the dumps after CAT,but I guess it is a natural feeling for any1 whose put in some effort to feel that way after a terrible performance.I am sorry if I gave any1 the inclination that I was yearning for some condolance,let me assure you my friend that I wasnt. I just want ppl who had a similar experince to get together and discuss other possibilities just in case we do not make it into the other top instis.
The colleges that I mentioned,amongst those SIIB,IIMM do have very good placements,maybe not of the calibre of the IIM's but good nonetheless,I have friends who've passed out from the above mentioned colleges and hence I know.
The others I would like to say much expect that IMDR is also good,but they tend to focus more on personality developement which would help you immensly in your profession life but their placement is not very good.SCMLD is the brainchild of Prof. Pillai(ex diro SCMHRD) the first bacth would get placed in dec this yr so we would need to adopt a wait and watch policy.
Cheers,
frank.

My sincere apologies to you, dear. I was not aware of you credentials earlier.

No issues my friend... :)
This thread is fast turning into a bilateral one...guess not many people are aiming for other colleges apart from symbi,maybe we'll have to wait for SNAP to get over, for more people to pour in,
frank.

I suggest dont go for INDIRA

my friend got into it, she has horrible experience, since its a residental pgm, according to her quality of food & hostel is not gud

i think u forgot to mention IIIT

my 2 friend got into it,

adv --
1. complets ur MBA in 18 month instaed of regular 24 month
2. its more like a tech school rather thn b-school so nerds, geeks & cse engg welcome
3. gud hostels
4. located in Hinjawadi, Silicon Valley of Pune
5. close proximity to SIMB college

disadv--
1. no gals, i mean gals ve been below par, most r married & rest r not worth
2. 20 km away frm pune

I2IT,no ways!dude!.
I know this guy who passed out from I2IT,his take on the college was short and simple....IT SUCKS!!!.After spending soooo much money,he now works with a call center as an executive.If I really had to get into one,why would I need I2IT?
Secondly,I work at hinjewadi,my office is a stones throw away from I2IT,its reputation in the IT world could at best be describes as average.
Indira,I dont really know much about, but there was this school mate of mine who passed out of Indira and is now working as a relationship manager with kotak mahindra...
frank.

hey guys ..
even i felt da world come down on me...on sunday...i messed up quant horribly.my scores r:

VA: 20

DI.13.5

qa:0.66/ 0 ( it takes real talent to mess up quant so bad )

Total: 33.5 / 34

i'm frm pune...i've aldready submitted da imdr form...
about IIMM, indira, scmld and siib...i thought i'd add my twopence woh...

IIMM: Decent placements from what i hear....lowest being 12k p.m...and highest package being 48 k p.m

Indira: not that gr8 placements not 100% last yr ...would put iimm ahead..

IMDR: Pretty decent coll.....avg salary is expected to be about 3 lacs p.a..100% placements

SCMLD: altho prof.pillai is known...u cant be sure bout this coll...altho chances r dat it mite be good.

SIIB: this is probably da best frm among da list i've given here.should be da first choice for neone ...

btw...guys..what chances do u give me @imdr? my score is 33.5/34 and that is expected to fetch about 88+ percentile...but quant is a BIG worry for me.i've heard they consider juss da overall score...but zero in ne section is a bit too much ..what do u think?

thankz... a lot..

Ryan,
As far as IMDR is concerned,I think you would make it.IMDR normally closes at 78-80 and they dont look for sectional cut offs,so you stand a very gud chance.
Intially I thought of applying to IMDR,but then I decided against it,Its a good college no doubt and pretty decent placements.but the problem is they dont market their college well.
No offences meant to any1,IMDR is a very good college but, I would be lying if I's say placements are not important,for me they are very imprtant.After working for around 2 yrs,I dont wanna end up in a company which pays me less than what am getting now and I seriously doubt that I would get more ,if I do get into IMDR.
IIMM has a director(Founder n Ex diro SIMS) whos got really good contacts in the industry,their placements are better than IMDR,altough IMDR beats each of its competitiors as far as ROI is concerned.
SIIB,ryan,I agree with you,Its the best amongst the lot,the symbi tag has places it miles ahead of its competitiors.
Neways,if you looka at the TIME ranking IIMM,IMDR,SIIB all fall into 1 category.
SCMLD,definately looks promising,given that Prof. Pillai has the ability to turn SCMLD into another SCMHRD.
Cheers,
Frank

Hey folks, keep up the good work on this thread!! Let your thoughts keep flowing freely. Oher pgites could consider applying to these colleges after reading your posts with due consideration.

hi,
well to clear the confusion if u r coming to pune for mba this is the list:

1. SCMHRD
  2. SIBM
  3. SICSR
  4. SIIB
  5. SIMC
  6. IMDR
  7. SITM
  8. PUMBA
  9. IIMM
  10. ISBM(fine but check the things properly)
Hell lot of others college but if ur parents have lot of money or u think u can win KBC then go ahead u will find MBA colleges at each and every corner.

My tops would be

1. SCMHRD
2. SIBM
3. SIIB
4. PUMBA
5. IMDR

my score is somewhere around 24-26. i really wanted to into MICA but.
hey help me out guys...which colleges do i apply to.
my break up is:
va-17
di-3
quant-4

hey guys my frnds di cut off is clear ... infact heres his breakup:
DI 10.6
VA 3.3
quant 3

to which colleges shud he apply to?

What about NICMAR's (National Institute of Construction Management) PGDM course ???
It's PG in Construction Management is already reputed and the only of it's kind in India .... but have no idea about it's PGDM.
Can it be said that a sector specific reputed institute's general PGDM will also attrack good placement .... because industry connections, reputation, infra, faculties etc are already there.
Pls pour in your replies soon as the last date is 2nd december....website is www.nicmar.org

Nice to see more and more people pouring in.
I have been doing a lot of "Research" been talking to a lot of alumni,faculties.Based on this I can rough rank the colleges are below

1)SIBM/SCMHRD
2)SIMS/SIIB/IIMM/PUMBA
3)IMDR/SITM
4)ISBM/INDIRA

?SCMLD

SIBM and SCMHRD are amongst the top 10 in India.Nothiing more needs to be said.

SIMS is only for defence personnel and their dependents.

SIIB doesnt come anywhere close to its more famous cousins.The symbi tag has helped it immensly.Pretty decent placements.

IIMM is really turining out to be a top notch insti in pune.Its director is a very dynamic person with excellent contacts in the industry.But beware if your a girl,its directors ahs a fetish for anything feminine.Also be prepared to slog your ass out if u managed to get into this college.Next yr onwards they are moving into a brand new 20 acre campus near Hinjewadi IT park.

PUMBA was amongst the best in maharashtra up until a couple of years back,but like anything government,its heading southwards,It still has decent placements though.Good on ROI.

IMDR is amongst the best in pune,its a pity that they dont try to sell themselves well,if they did they would definately be in the same league as SIBM/SCMHRD.Still,excellent on ROI.Most of the recruiters are regulars.

SITM is excellent for Telecom and the software sector. but its nots a good idea to get into specialization at such early stage in your career.Highest package last yr :3.5 lks

ISBM is good for marketing,their major disadvantage,they have center center in pune,calcutta,bangalore and 1 other city,so you would be competiting wiht those students also for placements.good for marketing though.Pacakages range from 1.5 -3.5 lkhs per year.

Indira has 2 courses,I univesity affiliated and the other 1 is autonomous,both are decent.Highly localized placements.

SCMLD dont really know where to rank it,courses structure and curriculum very similar to that of IIMM(guess, its stems from the fact that Prof. Bala of IIMM was a faculty under Prof. Pillai while he was HOD,SIBM).But it sure looks promising.

Hope I have been of some help,
Frank.

my score is somewhere around 24-26. i really wanted to into MICA but.
hey help me out guys...which colleges do i apply to.
my break up is:
va-17
di-3
quant-4

Try SIMC my friend.The symbi tag matters!!!
:)

Hi to all

can anyonr put light on MBA from I2IT, Pune (IsquarIT).

any student from I2IT can do a favour and tell howz placement and carriculam of the program is..

it it worth doing MBA from I2IT??