PSU vs Private IT company Looking for GMAT..need immediate help!!!

Hello Everyone!! I am a 2012 batch pass out from a NIT and my branch was CSE. I have been offered two jobs , one by an IT company (with 7 lpa) and another by a PSU (oil company with 10 lpa). My dream is to do MBA from abroad(US/Europe) a…

Hello Everyone!!

I am a 2012 batch pass out from a NIT and my branch was CSE. I have been offered two jobs , one by an IT company (with 7 lpa) and another by a PSU (oil company with 10 lpa).

My dream is to do MBA from abroad(US/Europe) and for that i need a GMAT score in range of 730-760. As lots of B-schools abroad emphasise on many other factors like work experience/extra-curricular activities/community works etc. ...

So my question is --What would be the best option for me--Should i join an IT company like my other batch-mates and become a traditional s/f engineer like them(sitting somewhere in bnglr) or should i go for PSU oil company(its in top 250 fortune company). Which would be best option for me keeping in view of my profile for international B-schools after 3-4 years.

i have heard that many traditional IT/sf engineers apply from India with exceptionally good GMAT scores(so huge competition from that background..and B-school looks for people with different background) ...would joining a PSU would give me an edge over them ?

Since i am new and inexperienced ..So please guide me for my future endeavour... you may tell me something more which might be useful to me in long run....I would be highly thankful to you ...with wishes

What is the profile of each job? Which job will you enjoy more? Which will provide greater learning? Which will allow you to grow as an individual and as a professional? What are your future career goals? Which of the two jobs will help you reach that goal?Why MBA? What do you want to study in the MBA?

Neo2000 Says
What is the profile of each job? Which job will you enjoy more? Which will provide greater learning? Which will allow you to grow as an individual and as a professional? What are your future career goals? Which of the two jobs will help you reach that goal?Why MBA? What do you want to study in the MBA?

Bang On Neo!!

These are fundamental questions that many MBA aspirants completely ignore..

Unfortunately I find that many MBA aspirants treat the MBA as a magic wand which will wipe out all their troubles!!

Real life turns out differently!!

Just one question I would like to add

Q - Which path you feel will lead to more happiness for you?
Neo2000 Says

I am not sure if you could have answered these questions a decade back.

But yes, questions worth pondering over....

Actually, I wanted to be an entrepreneur and do something in the education sector. I didn't want to get an MBA either. My understanding of an MBA and the opportunities it afforded were minimal.

Today though, the times have changed. People are aware of what an MBA can or cannot do for you. Today, more than ever, graduating students have greater career opportunities than they did ten years ago. Today, more than ever, students have the knowledge, resources and opportunity to go after stuff that would have been very hard a decade ago.
Neo2000 Says

What is the profile of each job?
In a private IT company i would be a software engineer .I would be a developer on android platform.I think i would switch to some different company with more salary easily and quicly.

Which job will you enjoy more?
I would enjoy the job in a PSU because i would be having ample opportunities to fulfill my desires away from my work..and work pressure would be less and limited hours of working..no deadlines and a easy and comfortable life with opportunity to give time to family,time for my GMAT preparation,time to something for society(since i have my private NGO)
Which will provide greater learning?
Professionally , Job in Private IT company would provide me greater learning in my technical field(which i don't like so much..its doesn't entice me and its mundane for me)

Which will allow you to grow as an individual and as a professional?
Job in PSU would give me ample opportunities to grow as a human with more focus on me and my dreams.
No deadlines of project,no late night calls....partially master of your own.

What are your future career goals?
I don't want to work in IT field for long since i don't have much interest in it.I want to take responsibility and work in a environment and field which can give values to the mangerial skills which i think i have.Later,I want to start my own business and focus on my NGO

Which of the two jobs will help you reach that goal?

i don't know ..this is my question

Why MBA?

it will fulfill my desire of leaving IT field and earn quick money from which i can start my own venture

What do you want to study in the MBA?

because it would encompass with the skills for completing my goals with i always wanted to do.

your advice would be very useful to me..Thank you

Congrats on the ABC convert!

Point is - we should try to answer these questions and career choices should be derived from them.

Am not sure if you meant inability to answer stems from inexperience or the fact that the world has changed over the years

What is the profile of each job? Definitely something that can be researched?

Which job will you enjoy more? Subjective

Which will provide greater learning? Semi subjective

Which will allow you to grow as an individual and as a professional? Try to talk to people with mid level experience (5-10 years ) in each role

What are your future career goals? Definitely something you should plan

Which of the two jobs will help you reach that goal? Follows from the previous question

Why MBA? What do you want to study in the MBA? - Again something that you need to be clear about !

I am not saying you wll get absolute answers . Sometimes answers will change midway. But you need to establish those goals...

A decade back there was no PG!!

That is why we live in a better world!!
What is the profile of each job?...

If money is important, and you want an easy life and you don't like IT, why not take the PSU job? It seems to fit all your criteria rather comfortably.

Here's my problem with your answers - they are no different from the answers of thousands of students aiming to crack the CAT. I don't mean to be harsh but they show a lack of thought on your part and an incomplete understanding of what an MBA can provide. As Tanveer pointed out, you are treating the MBA as a ticket to future riches and prestige. If you want to be an entrepreneur, they maybe an MBA isn't the right path for you. Perhaps a degree in your field of interest (Social Service?) may serve you better.

Why aren't you aiming to crack the CAT? It will help you leave the IT field quickly and earn quick money a lot quicker than an International MBA. That btw, is also one of the worst reasons for wanting an MBA. It's a valid reason no doubt, but not one that b-schools want to hear.

Second - have you done any research on the costs at the top b-schools?
Here are a couple of articles that you must read w.r.t debt at the top b-schools
MBA Debt: The Burden Grows Heavier & Gets Scarier Poets and Quants
25 B-Schools That Lead To The Most MBA Debt Poets and Quants
Again, the higher-paying job - PSU seems to be a better bet for you because you must now straightaway put 3L into savings and think that you only get 7L. the more you save, the lesser your graduating debt.

As a future entrepreneur, you don't want to be in a position where you are paying off debt before you even start a venture. Depending on the school you go to, debt-repayment can take anywhere between 4.7 to 9 years. That is in today's market. You are 4years away from even entering a 2yr program which means 6yrs away from entering the job-market with a potential $90,000 loan.

You will not get into a "managerial" position till atleast 4-5yrs out of b-school. If you were to remain in your current job for that long, you would just as easily reach that position.

International b-schools like to see people with good work-experience and career-stability. That means your job must be challenging and interesting where you have contributed in your own way to the growth of the company. Switching companies is a bad idea because at some point, you will need letters of recommendations from people who've managed you for a long time and seen you grow as an individual. Even if you switch after the first 2yrs, you need to stay in the second company for atleast 2years to have an effective reco letter.

I would still say consider the CAT. the ROI for a fresher is unbeatable by an international b-school.

Dear puys i have a querry

i hav done btech in ece
is it true that posting in bhel ntpc or any good psu will be in remote areas where there it is difficult life style

Hi I am new to this site... Please suggest me some good books for PSU entrance exams for INSTRUMENTATION branch.. all suggestions will be cordially accepted..