Prospects of an MA in Economics from D-School (Delhi School of Economics)

Well, I’m surprised I haven’t found such a thread yet on PG. So here goes: Wish to know whether Delhi School of Economics is good enough, if I wish to pursue higher studies (MA) in Economics in India. What are the career prospects after the …

Well, I'm surprised I haven't found such a thread yet on PG. So here goes:

Wish to know whether Delhi School of Economics is good enough, if I wish to pursue higher studies (MA) in Economics in India. What are the career prospects after the program, and also, how feasible is it for one to aspire for scholarships / letters of recommendations to pursue PhD programs abroad after the MA program?

Would appreciate it if you could share first hand information. I've done a lot of Googling and the like myself.

I'm an engineer from NIT Warangal with a B.Tech in Electrical Engineering. 2 years of work experience as an analyst in an investment banking (back office / middle office).

[Note that I've used the CAT and related B Schools forum since I expect most of you having an inkling on the matter to follow this parent forum]

I am a DU economics (hons) pass out. Even though not in dse, lot of my friends and seniors r in dse.

First of all, be every clear that you like economics, otherwise life can get hell once u r in dse.

Secondly, the toppers of d-school usually go for phd programs abroad, rather than taking placements.
however dont be under the impression that u will get phd admissions that too with scholarship in top universities of US. If your academic record is very good in dse, u have research aptitude, then u may get admission in top 30 phd programs of the world. D-school is typically considered to be a placement oriented campus.
If u r sure u want to pursue Phd, then ISI is a better place. However admissions there are much tougher.

Also note that work ex doesnt count at all either at DSE or ISI. Also the last year's batch of DSE had around 120 general candidates. Only 10 were from non - eco backgrounds. Most of them were from IIT's. So admission there isnt exactly a cakewalk.
If u have real passion for economics, then only go for it.

This should be helpful