Prospects after MBA with long work experience

Hi, I am posting this to find out what are the prospects for someone who is looking to do a full-time MBA after 10 years of work experience. Note that I am only looking for programs like the PGP-X offered by IIMs, GMP by XLRI and the ISB MBA. …

Hi,
I am posting this to find out what are the prospects for someone who is looking to do a full-time MBA after 10 years of work experience. Note that I am only looking for programs like the PGP-X offered by IIMs, GMP by XLRI and the ISB MBA.

My profile: Total work experience of 10+ years, all in IT and half of which are in Engineering/Operations management roles. 8 years out of the above would be experience outside India (currently based in Europe).
Qualifications: B.E. (Elec), M.Sc in Strategic Management (part-time) and certified PMP.

Goal: To take up employment back in India a management capacity after MBA. Hence not looking for MBA from European or US business schools. Not interested in finance or consulting either.

I am mainly interested in getting information regarding the following points:
1. What are the roles being offered within the IT industry post-MBA for a person with profiles similar to these? I would like to get some information on sample roles.

2. Would it be feasible to move into non-IT industries after an MBA? Again what would be the roles offered to a post-MBA person.

I tried searching for threads/posts similar to these in the forums but was unable to find it. If someone can provide me with their thoughts on the questions above or direct me to similar threads/posts I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

For your profile (age, experience etc), the schools that you have targetted do appear to be good choices within India. However, here the concept of experienced hires is still new and most of the MBA recruitment is geared towards the regular 2-year programs targetting a younger age group of candidates. Not sure why you are not looking at American/European programs, if you want to come back to India.

Now to answer your questions:

1. Post MBA, you could look at non-operational roles within the IT industry - Business Development, Strategy etc. With your solid background in operations, you already have a good understanding about the industry and can use it to your advantage while discussing such roles.

2. Non-IT roles in the industry would be a little difficult, but not unheard of. It is more common for American/Euro programs (which is why I mentioned it above). If you are not interested in consulting/finance, you can still look at roles within the industry (manufacturing, retail, etc). You can use your internships to get an exposure to the industry of your choice and also build a network of contacts that you can reach out to, after you graduate.

Hope this helps.

@MartianOnEarth,
Thanks for your comments. I was hoping for more thoughts/comments from the junta in these forums.
Main reason for not applying to non-Indian programs is that very few of them are really recognised in India (or so I have been told except perhaps programs like those of HBS/Wharton). A friend of mine did an MBA from Cranfield and another one from Said(Oxford) and both of them say that they want to continue in Europe for a good while to get more management experience before coming back to India as without this experience they would find it difficult to get suitable positions.
My rationale in only shortlisting Indian programs is so that I can use the campus recruitment to get a good position(pragmatic middle-class approach!). the campus recruitment in European and US business schools are not as aggressive as those in India anyway. On the flip side I do feel that getting into the PGPXs would be more difficult that getting into a European MBA program.
I guess i need to probably talk to people who have done the PGP-X courses and find out their job profiles post-MBA.
If you know of any threads discussing these please let me know..thanks again.

I understand you concerns. And the 'pragmatic middle-class approach' you talk about can actually be a virtue rather than a vice, for someone taking a risk of leaving a well paying career and seeking out better opportinities.

The fact that you've decided to do so after so many years of experience, according to me, is already half the battle won. From here on its a matter of doing your homework right and targetting the right program.

For your friend the Oxford label should add a lot of value to the CV, irrespective of where he is working - within India or abroad. Of course he needs to back it up with good post-MBA experience. So its not an issue if he decides to work in the UK for a while and then return. Cranfield isn't as strong a brand name outside the UK. So your other friend will have to focus on gaining real good experience before making a transition outside the country.

In India, there are tons of IIM alumni. Not all of them end up in fantastic roles. Basic point is, even amongst those completing their MBA from top-notch schools, the post-MBA story can vary dramatically.

As you've planned, talk to othe PGPX and see what they are doing now. Also, hopefully you'd get other perspectives on these forums.

@MartianOnEarth,
Thanks for your comments. I was hoping for more thoughts/comments from the junta in these forums.
Main reason for not applying to non-Indian programs is that very few of them are really recognised in India (or so I have been told except perhaps programs like those of HBS/Wharton). A friend of mine did an MBA from Cranfield and another one from Said(Oxford) and both of them say that they want to continue in Europe for a good while to get more management experience before coming back to India as without this experience they would find it difficult to get suitable positions.
My rationale in only shortlisting Indian programs is so that I can use the campus recruitment to get a good position(pragmatic middle-class approach!). the campus recruitment in European and US business schools are not as aggressive as those in India anyway. On the flip side I do feel that getting into the PGPXs would be more difficult that getting into a European MBA program.
I guess i need to probably talk to people who have done the PGP-X courses and find out their job profiles post-MBA.
If you know of any threads discussing these please let me know..thanks again.

I can't add much insights about PGPX. However the following info is worth reading (in rarest case you have not read it yet).

Businessworld : Number one Indian business portal with incisive analysis and surveys - PGPX Placements 2007
Now, IIM-A grad becomes a crorepati !- Education-Services-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Inside IIMA PGPX
Discovery of Time

Hope some PGPX guy drops in. But definitely it looks like a course worth taking and seems like a wonderful opportunity for those who have crossed the 8 year work exp.

Pradeep

@rpradeephere
thanks for the links, especially the first and the third one. Some useful material in there for thought.

Hi

I am an engineer with 16 yrs of work ex & work in a major Telco . I have also done my Ex MBA. I has taken me a long time to save money for my US MBA degree.

I want to persue my MBA in Europe / US. Broadly I would like to move to consulting role in my industry after my MBA.

I plan to pass out in 2010. I am studying for last 15 - 20 days & my test scores are about 650. I don't think I will clock > 700 in actual GMAT ( planned Aug 08 )

Which all colleges should I target ? Which all colleges would reject me straight away ? Which all collges would give value to my Ex MBA. I am looking at LBS, INSEAD, Oxford, Cambridge & Cornell.

Please advice how realistic are my chances to make it.

Hi

I am an engineer with 16 yrs of work ex & work in a major Telco . I have also done my Ex MBA. I has taken me a long time to save money for my US MBA degree.

I want to persue my MBA in Europe / US. Broadly I would like to move to consulting role in my industry after my MBA.

I plan to pass out in 2010. I am studying for last 15 - 20 days & my test scores are about 650. I don't think I will clock > 700 in actual GMAT ( planned Aug 08 )

Which all colleges should I target ? Which all colleges would reject me straight away ? Which all collges would give value to my Ex MBA. I am looking at LBS, INSEAD, Oxford, Cambridge & Cornell.

Interesting questions. I am sure you must be getting inputs fom other sources as well. Do post your findings. Even I am thinking of doing a foriegn MBA or a Phd in management 8-9 years down the line.

In the US at least, many of the regular 2 year MBA program target people with 2-7 years experience (on average).

However, for some one like you who has 16 yrs experience, the most popular option in the US is the Excutive MBA program. This will ensure you that your peers will also have 10+ years experience, and you will be able to gain from the MBA experience.

You should looks into the executive MBA program in the US, and i know that Wharton, NYU, USC, Columbia (just to name a few), all offer this.

In Europe, you can consider LBS executive MBA program.

However, IMD in Switzerland, and Insead in France are known to prefer individuals with more experience (5-10 yrs). Since you have 16 yrs, you might be a candidate for these schools at their regular MBA program.

Good luck.

Hi

Hi

Hey, have you considered the Sloan Master's offered by London Business School? It is a 1 year general management programme for Senior Management professionals.
Though it is not an "MBA", I believe it would be a good fit for somebody with your level of experience.

LBS Sloan Masters: Sloan Fellowship MSc: London Business School, Programmes - London experience. World impact. Sloan Fellows. One year MBA program. london business School ( LBS or lbs )

Hi Raj! Have you started your MBA programme? Which institute? What prospects you find now. I have around 17 years of experience and working at a senior level and considering pursuing Executive MBA from INSEAD/NUS/ISB for career progression. Your advice will be valuable.
Regards

I has recently completed my b.b.a, and know i want to go for mba.
My question is that i have a family business and i want to join that, can i show this work experience in good mba colleges?????

For Energy and Infrastructure (Oil and Gas domain) EMBA courses; School of Petroleum Management (SPM) offers 15-months full-time residential programme at its Gandhinagar campus under Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University (PDPU) (Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University) set up by GSPC (GSPC Group :: Energy for Growth ::).

Interested executives need to have a 5+ years of work experience after graduation.

Admissions through Interviews only; for specific details you may visit: School of Petroleum Management

- abhiktushardas
(EMBA-10 / SPM@PDPU)

LinkedIn group: PDPU SPM Exec-MBA (Oil n Gas)

(PDPU SPM Exec-MBA (Oil n Gas) LinkedIn)

Mail us on: [email protected]

Visit us on: EMBA-SPM/PDPU Google Groups

I am Sanjai and i have 4.5 yrs of technical exp in an Fortune 500 IT company. i have an MS as well. Coding is kind of my hobby since childhood. when it paid me living; life is awesome.

But, i need MBA to acquire a more responsible , leadership oriented and devoted posting in a better company. I am the top analyst in all teams i have worked in.

Closing to 5 years experience, i am really confused which MBA would suit me. More importantly, is it wise to do MBA this point with technical background? Also, is it like doing an MBA full time after 5 yrs will reset my career again?

You can search for the full time MBA programs to get master degree in the interested branch. Its all necessary details are available to know.

http://www.thunderbird.edu/

Long distance vs. Full Time?

what MICA Memoirs says:

http://mica.mbas.in/when-is-long-distance-mba-a-good-option/

MICA Memoirs touches upon the dilemma of a Long-distance MBA:

http://mica.mbas.in/going-the-distance-long-distance-mba/

I am a software professional with 5+ years of work experience..I am reaching a stagnation point in my current role as developer...I want to switch my role but not my domain. I want to continue in the IT industry but as a business analyst...I am thinking of going for MBA. Given my situation should I go for a one year full time executive MBA or a two years full time regular MBA? I have heard that with my level of work experience I should only target the top b-schools in India. I am thinking of appearing for major exams in 2014 like CAT, XAT, GMAT etc. But by the time the results for these b-schools are out and GD/PIs are over I will have a total experience of 6+ years. Does any b-schools in india accept a candidate with so much work ex? Will I have problems during placements? I do not have the finance to look for b-schools abroad. I have also heard that working professionals with 2 to 3 years experience are preferred in most b-schools. Is my decision to go for an MBA itself a right one? I am in a very big dilemma. Please advice

Hi all,

Currently i am doing MBA(first year) and i have planned to do my majors in FINANCE. In my graduation i have done engineering after that i have 2+ years work experience.
Can anyone tell me about the perspective career in PSU after doing MBA in Finance, like in which companies i can apply for and what is required knowledge i need to have??
I would be highly grateful and thankful.
Thanks in advance