Proof of Extracurriculars?

I’m sure this has been asked before, and I _did _use the search function,but the question remains…do you need to send proof of your extracurriculars with your applications? How do they know if you really were the President of the Literary Club? H…

I'm sure this has been asked before, and I did use the search function,but the question remains..do you need to send proof of your extracurriculars with your applications? How do they know if you really were the President of the Literary Club? How do they know if you founded a charity?How do they know if you REALLY have two cats who you rescued,and that you foster many others?

Even if not asked explicity in the application,does sending proof help?

Thanks

anyone with a view? I can accept this is a dumb question,but all replies gratefully received 😃

I think a lot goes on trust. It's not the titles or positions that matter, but quality of experiences.

Being the President of the Literary Club and not doing anything is as good as not being involved with literary club at all.
On the other hand, just being a member and getting funds or notable speakers or organizing events value more.
If you ask how they'll know whether you actually did it, I'd say to some extent on trust, to some extent on their previous experience, and to some extent on probing how exactly you did what you did.

If someone can convince Adcom about something he didn't do without raising serious doubts, he deserves to be an MBA. :biggrin:

Moreover, once you have been admitted, most top schools conduct background checks. They would contact the literary club directly to figure out if you were actually involved.

thank you,so do you think sending over certifications with "the best debater" award and the likes ( best actor ,best student etc etc) would stengthen your application? I know it would be cosmetic at best,but would it actually make a difference or be a waste of postage ?

i would say it can hurt your applications/interview too if u cannot justify..your experience as a whole counts. if you say that you are a good debater, but could not produce your certifications, then the panel would definitely would like to hear from u a reply which an experienced debater would give.
one thing is for sure, mba panelists have seniors profs who probably most of the time can judge your honesty while answering....
i would prefer to use my extra curriculur achievements in my essay. if u can co-relate your achievement with essay, then ur application has a different approach..

oopsidaisy Says
thank you,so do you think sending over certifications with "the best debater" award and the likes ( best actor ,best student etc etc) would stengthen your application? I know it would be cosmetic at best,but would it actually make a difference or be a waste of postage ?

Thanks,but my question was,is it a normal practice to send your certificates with your application to "pimp" up your application? I have quite a few which I like to think are quite impressive,so would it make a difference to my application one way or another ?

if the school has asked to send the extra curricular certificate then send it. if u have many than choose the best. showing extra qualities definitely helps as u r competing against other applicants
just came across a 2006 article which talks abt SPJain calls.
Why and how does SP Jain give interview calls before CAT? | PaGaLGuY.com - Indias biggest CAT 2009, MBA website

oopsidaisy Says
Thanks,but my question was,is it a normal practice to send your certificates with your application to "pimp" up your application? I have quite a few which I like to think are quite impressive,so would it make a difference to my application one way or another ?

arrgh i really must have a problem with my articulation, again,I know schoools do not ask for such certs(mostly) ,but DOES it make a difference to send them ANYWAYS? will it do ANY good?

sorry if this is becoming so mundane,I've just managed to bore myself with this

Do not send the certificates unless asked for. Most of the top schools do not provide you with a space to upload scans of EC proofs/ certificates. The best way to articulate about your ECs is through your essays as well as CV. Pick out some of the most important roles you have played and try to co relate them with you career goals and how that would fit in with the school's thinking. For example a great debater would really have an edge at a LEARNING oriented school like Oxford which puts great value on intellect.

So, my view is do not send the proofs or certificates unless asked for 😃

Do not send the certificates unless asked for. Most of the top schools do not provide you with a space to upload scans of EC proofs/ certificates. The best way to articulate about your ECs is through your essays as well as CV. Pick out some of the most important roles you have played and try to co relate them with you career goals and how that would fit in with the school's thinking. For example a great debater would really have an edge at a LEARNING oriented school like Oxford which puts great value on intellect.

So, my view is do not send the proofs or certificates unless asked for :)

got it,thanks 😃