Profile Evaluation and Shortlisting of schools for Fall'10

Let us use this thread to evaluate profiles and discuss about shortlisting schools based on profile. I am starting with mine. GMAT - 720 Work Ex - 5 yrs by fall 2010 Acads - Good (Bits-Pilani Grad) Extra Curr - Not so good Intl …

Let us use this thread to evaluate profiles and discuss about shortlisting schools based on profile.

I am starting with mine.

GMAT - 720
Work Ex - 5 yrs by fall 2010
Acads - Good (Bits-Pilani Grad)
Extra Curr - Not so good
Intl Exp - 1.5 yrs in US

Software Engg by profession.

I have shortlisted the below schools.

Reach - Tuck, Ross, Kellogg
Competitive - Darden, Stern
Safety Nets - Tepper, Johnson

Let me know if i am missing any info. Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions on my shortlisted schools based on my profile.

Hi deltaone!
Thanks a lot for starting this thread.
Can any of the experts here please evaluate my profile?
Indian female - IT/Engineering
Acads - pretty good, graduate from BITS, Pilani
work experience, 5 years by fall 2010
GMAT score - 720
a little bit of NGO experience, decent extra curriculars

Schools targetted -
UCLA, Berkey Haas, Kelloggs - Ambitious
Hopeful - ISB, NUS, USC Marshall, UC Irvine and Emory

Can any of you please give me a feed back?
Thanks!

Let us use this thread to evaluate profiles and discuss about shortlisting schools based on profile.

I am starting with mine.

GMAT - 720
Extra Curr - Not so good
Intl Exp - 1.5 yrs in US

Let me know if i am missing any info. Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions on my shortlisted schools based on my profile.

"shortlisting schools based on profile. " -> this is the first mistake you are doing. Shortlist schools depend on what you want to do post MBA. See if your ambitions are a good fit with the school. Might sound like 'blah' but it matters a lot, esp when explaining the same to adcom in essays/interviews.
Post your post-mba goals and why you want to do an mba here and the experts might help you.

I am starting with mine.

GMAT - 720
Extra Curr - Not so good
Intl Exp - 1.5 yrs in US

I don't think Tepper and Johnson are safeties.A lot of Indians with similar profiles apply to these schools.
Hi deltaone!
Thanks a lot for starting this thread.
Can any of the experts here please evaluate my profile?
Indian female - IT/Engineering
Acads - pretty good, graduate from BITS, Pilani
work experience, 5 years by fall 2010
GMAT score - 720
a little bit of NGO experience, decent extra curriculars

Schools targetted -
UCLA, Berkey Haas, Kelloggs - Ambitious
Hopeful - ISB, NUS, USC Marshall, UC Irvine and Emory

Can any of you please give me a feed back?
Thanks!

I think you need to change your school selection.You are overshooting and at the same time short selling yourself.Spread your schools across a range.You can change your hopefuls to schools ranked 15-20.

Nothing hpapenin

Suggestions for 'safe schools' required.

GMAT 700, TOEFL 110
Acads: Good
Work ex: 3yrs in a startup
Extra currs: Good and different from most others
Community service: Decent, nothing like devising a $100k plan or raising $1mn funds.

Current target schools: Haas, Kelley, Gatech.
Was thinking of UC, Irvine as safe school. Focus area post MBA was B2C marketing, but i learnt that they don't prefer internationals for such roles.
Not keen on finance. Looking at consulting or market research roles post-MBA.

Any suggestions??
Thinking of Emory. Any other US school?
Does USC Marshall provide loans w/o cosigner?

Okay this will not answer your question,but is meant for the entire thread as a whole-I think profile evaluation questions are best put in perspective of the schools you wish to apply to.In my head,the sequence is :
1.Decide what you want to do
2.Go through the schools( Mr .google can supply you with an exhaustive list of b schools all over the world )
3.Pick the ones you like
4.Rate your profile against that of the requirements.

I actually see no point in applying to schools just because you may get in there.The entire point of doing MBA is then ,in my opinion,lost,as what good would a school which you only chose because it accepted do to your life and career?

If the schools you like and your chances of getting into those have a HUGE gap,then fill the gap.Can be done,should be done.And again,the gaps exist ,mostly in our heads.You can never know the entire class profile of a school,hence the generic evaluation only provides a reference point,not a firm conclusion of your acceptance or rejection.So,go for it.If you apply,you definitely increase your chances of acceptance. That's what makes a MBA different from the rest of the degrees,it really is life -changing.

Thanks for the reply oopsidaisy. I totally agree with your view. I sometimes wonder whether i should do MBA at all if i don't make into the schools that i don't find catering to my future plans.

I believe many would have done the 4 steps you have mentioned. At least, I have done this for the last couple of years.

But it's about being realistic. Consider you make it to one of top 10-15 US school which you find matches your requirements perfectly. What if you can't afford (for some reason - ya, i know top schools help you to get you in, still it might so happen that you miss out)?

Or consider you are dinged even though your profile is quite unique and the program fits you the best.

Do you plan to drop the MBA plan (which is only a means to achieve what you want)?
or
Do you think it makes sense to go to a school that matches your requirements to a large extent, but not perfectly?

IMHO, This is the point of choosing safe schools. It's not about just an MBA, but about getting an avenue to do what you want. The avenue might not be as perfect as you'd wish, but it gives you a chance to fight for your dream.

Thanks for the reply oopsidaisy. I totally agree with your view. I sometimes wonder whether i should do MBA at all if i don't make into the schools that i don't find catering to my future plans.

I believe many would have done the 4 steps you have mentioned. At least, I have done this for the last couple of years.

But it's about being realistic. Consider you make it to one of top 10-15 US school which you find matches your requirements perfectly. What if you can't afford (for some reason - ya, i know top schools help you to get you in, still it might so happen that you miss out)?

Or consider you are dinged even though your profile is quite unique and the program fits you the best.

Do you plan to drop the MBA plan (which is only a means to achieve what you want)?
or
Do you think it makes sense to go to a school that matches your requirements to a large extent, but not perfectly?

IMHO, This is the point of choosing safe schools. It's not about just an MBA, but about getting an avenue to do what you want. The avenue might not be as perfect as you'd wish, but it gives you a chance to fight for your dream.

I agree with your comments about safe schools being those that match your requirements to a large ,but not complete,extent.And I do realize my views may come across more idealistic than realistic ; ) ,but my problem exists with the mindset that MBA is just a means to a desired end..yes ,of course it is,but I don;t think it's ONLY that. Plus,the means you adopt will shape your end,which is even more reason to stick to the schools that are a best fit to YOU rather than to your wallet .I am by no means an expert on the right attitude towards selecting a B school and the comment is but a reflection on my approach to most other things in life.It really must sound melodramatic,but there must be more to the thought process of wanting to do an MBA rather than just advance your career.It is an event,really,not just another degree..and the event becomes an integral part of your dream ..

more poetry ,anyone ? 😉

I'd say it's like getting a true love

It's true that the perfect match shapes your life perfectly, but so does the not so perfect one - albeit to a lesser degree.

Hi...I am applying for Sep 2010 intake batch...please evaluate my changes from my profile below :

GMAT Score - 660 (Q49, V31, AWA 5.0)

5 years experience in Telecommunications secotr till Sep 2010.
International Exposure - Yes
Excellent in extracurricular activities, social activities and sports.
B.Tech (4 Years) in India
GPA - please suggest how to convert % into GPA
Also let me know which colleges I should go for and I have good chances of selection.
Hi...I am applying for Sep 2010 intake batch...please evaluate my changes from my profile below :

GMAT Score - 660 (Q49, V31, AWA 5.0)

5 years experience in Telecommunications secotr till Sep 2010.
International Exposure - Yes
Excellent in extracurricular activities, social activities and sports.
B.Tech (4 Years) in India
GPA - please suggest how to convert % into GPA
Also let me know which colleges I should go for and I have good chances of selection.

dude there are thousands of MBA colleges around....pls give more idea about what you want from an MBA and which country will you like to do an MBA from so that people can help you out here...I am no pro but there are people who can really help you on this forum if you ask the right question!!

@ Shaman...

Preferred locations - US or Europe
Expectations from mba program - Expertise in Consultancy and Entrepreneurship

@ Shaman...

Preferred locations - US or Europe
Expectations from mba program - Expertise in Consultancy and Entrepreneurship

cant help you much dude as I am heavily Finance oriented and that's where I have done my research....do look at Kenan Flagler Business School and Ivey Canada though...very good for consulting!!
singhshaman Says
cant help you much dude as I am heavily Finance oriented and that's where I have done my research....do look at Kenan Flagler Business School and Ivey Canada though...very good for consulting!!

thanks shaman...which mba schools would u suggest for finance...
gmatps Says
thanks shaman...which mba schools would u suggest for finance...

:-)....NUS, NTU and Rotman are my picks...this is where I have applied..applied to Wharton and ISB but got dinged!!
singhshaman Says
:-)....NUS, NTU and Rotman are my picks...this is where I have applied..applied to Wharton and ISB but got dinged!!

if u don't mind, would u plz share ur profile also wid me and the rounds in which u shall be applying...
gmatps Says
if u don't mind, would u plz share ur profile also wid me and the rounds in which u shall be applying...

3 yrs IT work ex by fall '10....760/4.5...good ECs and decent acads..good community service as well....have just completed my app by the end of Nov to the schools mentioned above
singhshaman Says
3 yrs IT work ex by fall '10....760/4.5...good ECs and decent acads..good community service as well....have just completed my app by the end of Nov to the schools mentioned above

excellent score dude...all the best...