Problem of Choice

Hello friends, Greetings to you all. I have got admits in Purdue (with $6000 schol), Maryland (awaiting aid results), Georgia Tech (Atlanta) {with full tuition waiver with reputed research GA}. :: I read the discussion in the thr…

Hello friends,

Greetings to you all.

I have got admits in Purdue (with $6000 schol), Maryland (awaiting aid results), Georgia Tech (Atlanta) {with full tuition waiver with reputed research GA}.

I read the discussion in the thread "Admitted to IOWA". This has made me anxious on the schools in my list ! :neutral:

Please share your valuable views on which univ to join and why?

Also tell me ur views on Georgia Tech (mind you, its not Terry .. this was earlier known as Dupree..)

Also, I am expecting results from Teppers soon. But Tepper is pretty expensive, please suggest, with current options at hand, would it be worth spending lots of money on Tepper (in case of admit wihout scholarship !)

Please help :

Thanks,
~ Croc.

What do you want to do after your MBA?

Hello friends,

Greetings to you all.

I have got admits in Purdue (with $6000 schol), Maryland (awaiting aid results), Georgia Tech (Atlanta) {with full tuition waiver with reputed research GA}.

I read the discussion in the thread "Admitted to IOWA". This has made me anxious on the schools in my list ! :neutral:

Please share your valuable views on which univ to join and why?

Also tell me ur views on Georgia Tech (mind you, its not Terry .. this was earlier known as Dupree..)

Also, I am expecting results from Teppers soon. But Tepper is pretty expensive, please suggest, with current options at hand, would it be worth spending lots of money on Tepper (in case of admit wihout scholarship !)

Please help :

Thanks,
~ Croc.
mba05 Says
What do you want to do after your MBA?

oops missed an imporatant info.. :-)
Major in Strategic Consulting .. with focus on IT.

I have interest (diverse) in MnA / I-banks.. but this option, considering my current main interest, can be taken on low priority..

Please suggest.
Thanks,
~ Croc.

none of the schools on your list are core schools for MC or IBanks...
Purdue is more Operations and Smith Technology, no idea about Georgia tech..
Rankwise there is not much of a difference.

I'd encourage you not to be swayed by full tuition waivers (it's tough i know) and explore other career paths. Are you in the US?

Just curious, what long term goal did you state in your essays?

If I were you, I would go to Purdue without thinking twice. Krannert is a good school!

Regards,
Rahul

oops missed an imporatant info.. :-)
Major in Strategic Consulting .. with focus on IT.

I have interest (diverse) in MnA / I-banks.. but this option, considering my current main interest, can be taken on low priority..

Please suggest.
Thanks,
~ Croc.
If I were you, I would go to Purdue without thinking twice. Krannert is a good school!

hey i agree purdue is a good school, but doesn't its location make it a bit risky for getting jobs? i mean, it's in an area where there aren`t too many industry opportunities. Correct me if i`m wrong.

Well , I have to disagree on the general opinion here
I am deciding between schools and having a tough time myself.

My rule of thumb is to never make money the primary parameter.That is school reputation.But you have to rationalize.

Say I had a full ride to cornell and an admit to michigan.I would go to C.

I think you should take the full ride.

It will give you financial freedom to pursue your dreams and take off all the pressure.

Purdue is the better school but it is not top 10 and better outside the top 10 does not count for much.

My 2 cents.

By the time someone from Harvard catches upto you it will be about 3 years.
Say you make 70K pa increasing by (5-10%) and 70k tution. 280 K. Harvard avg 95-100K

Not being in debt gives you the ability to take debt to make money :)

Now Tepper has a significant career advantage over the others so if you get that then you need to re-evaluate.

Plus a full tution ha some resume value too.

Tough one depends on your gaols in llife ,mine are to cme back to India and live with my friends and family (even if i give up 200K$ PA to do it) you see life is precious once i have about 4-500K$. I do not have the time to waste time making money in an I-bank.Just my take

hi friends got a call from harvard business school , greater noida
how is it ?

how is it ?

Its not so good...Ignore it :bigups:
how is it ?

Harvard business school?? noida???? what's going on here? :wow:
how is it ?

If it has a website I want to know

friends i got a letter , in which it was written , that it is a subsidary of harvard business school , usa and its there 1st centre in india and r taking cat/xat %ile of above 95 (i got 96.45) and there gd/pi process will be held in april.

how is it ?

:wow: what is this? Dude there is still time for april fool !!!!!!!!!

i am not joking dude , the letter is in my hand

dixy_underwear Says
friends i got a letter , in which it was written , that it is a subsidary of harvard business school , usa and its there 1st centre in india and r taking cat/xat %ile of above 95 (i got 96.45) and there gd/pi process will be held in april.

Nice! "subsidary of harvard business school". LOL! What next...."outlets of Wharton" in Lucknow? Can you please post the address of this B-school? I bet it's address will read something like "shop number xyz, nth floor, abc shopping complex, above pqr kirana and general stores"!!!

FYI, there's an "Oxford Engineering College" in Kurla (that`s in mumbai by the way) that claims to be a part of Oxford university...and there`s a "London Institute of Management Research" in andheri that claims affiliation from "London University".

harvard business school
rishabh complex ,
art stelloi road
greater noida
no website add

ne tryst with duplicate of a particular brand is generally a flop.. hehe
never heard of HBS from noida.. i say drop it mate.

Chimni has been very convincing to me.. considering the fact of short term benefits.. It looks like a dream with B-school in hand for a free ride !

But like always we need to weigh long term benefits & our goals vs the short term benefits.

Purdue -- to me doesnt appeal for consulting.. with my interest in IT + strategic consulting... it makes a weak option... please correct me if i am wrong.. i tried to gauge this from the cos coming there.

Some freind have compared Tepper vs Gtech/maryland as IIT vs Mumbai univ college... is it that much a difference.. shud we gamble on Tepper with (current status ) of Gtech free ride and Maryland (expecting close to free ride)..

Thanks friends for your prompt response.

First of all congrats on your multiple admits..it must be a very nice feeling !!!
hate to dampen your spirit ...BUT did not you do any school research before you applied. Kind of question you are asking makes me wonder if you have much idea about the strength or weakness of any of the schools.

But looking at the bright side, you were able to sell your candidacy so strongly to these schools (full waiver, that is a dream ) with limited knowledge of the schools, why do not you try a marketing major instead...

On a more serious not check out this link (BW forum)
http://forums.businessweek.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=messages&tsn;=1&tid;=66605&webtag;=bw-bschools