Preparation for SCMHRD GD/PI

Hey http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/other-...periences.html (2007. SCMHRD GD PI Experiences.) http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/other-...es-2006-a.html (SCMHRD GD/PI Experiences - 2006) I’ll just start with one case study… *There is …

Hey http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/other-...periences.html (2007. SCMHRD GD PI Experiences.)

http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/other-...es-2006-a.html (SCMHRD GD/PI Experiences - 2006)

I'll just start with one case study...

There is a company XYZ which used to be the single force in the market in the segment of two wheelers especially scooters. But with the advent of motorcycles and foreign brands, it lost its market to other competitors.It doesnt have much financial base to have big amount of technological upgradations in their two wheelers. Being the management authority of the corporation XYZ, plan out a strategy that will revive the market position of the firm and put it in profit.

What we can do is that we post the relevant solution to it which we might speak out while we are in a GD. And if anybody has relevant case studies or videos to share for discussion then, he/she is thankfully invited.

FYI- Not many days are left , so better we share as much as possible among ourselves .

RULES- I"LL POST WHEN TO CHANGE THE COURSE TO ANOTHER CASE STUDY OR ANY KINDA DISCUSSION.

Hey http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/other-...periences.html (2007. SCMHRD GD PI Experiences.)

http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/other-...es-2006-a.html (SCMHRD GD/PI Experiences - 2006)

I'll just start with one case study...

There is a company XYZ which used to be the single force in the market in the segment of two wheelers especially scooters. But with the advent of motorcycles and foreign brands, it lost its market to other competitors.It doesnt have much financial base to have big amount of technological upgradations in their two wheelers. Being the management authority of the corporation XYZ, plan out a strategy that will revive the market position of the firm and put it in profit.

What we can do is that we post the relevant solution to it which we might speak out while we are in a GD. And if anybody has relevant case studies or videos to share for discussion then, he/she is thankfully invited.

FYI- Not many days are left , so better we share as much as possible among ourselves .

my strategy would be the follwoing

1. Segment the market and find out customers who will still buy scooters over motorcycles (one of the reason could be the price difference between the two ) .
2. Scooters is still the preffered option for the female segment of the market . The company can still make low cost scooters which would target this segment (on the lines of scooty etc . why should boys have all the fun !!!!! hahahaahha) . This would surely attract teenage females .
3. Induge in manufacturing no frills scooters (something like a gearless kinetic honda) . These would have an edge over complicated motorbike handling . This would surely attract housewives .
4. Target the nuclear families (the ones with parents and a single child) . The front child seat that the scooters have will be an attraction for this segment . Three people on motor cycle is uncomfortable .

Nice initiative.....

With this case on hand, I'd like to start with suggesting few reformatory measures-
>We can start with slashing the rates of our products to a lower value as compared to the leading players. A move like this would attract the common man into buying our product rather than the more expensive ones in the market.
Added to this should be a revived marketing strategy. We must launch a new campaign that could strike a chord with the common man and would end up making him look forward to buying our product.

>We may also attach with our product a scheme which can give the consumer a chance to take away prizes with the vehicle by providing schemes like scratching a card. We can also have a mega prize that would make a deal with us be more lucrative.

This is the first time I've thought over a scenario like this.....so all u puys out there....please help in taking the discussion forward.....and correct me on the wrong aspects....
any criticism is also welcome:)

1. Segment the market and find out customers who will still buy scooters over motorcycles (one of the reason could be the price difference between the two ) .
2. Scooters is still the preffered option for the female segment of the market . The company can still make low cost scooters which would target this segment (on the lines of scooty etc . why should boys have all the fun !!!!! hahahaahha) . This would surely attract teenage females .
3. Induge in manufacturing no frills scooters (something like a gearless kinetic honda) . These would have an edge over complicated motorbike handling . This would surely attract housewives .
4. Target the nuclear families (the ones with parents and a single child) . The front child seat that the scooters have will be an attraction for this segment . Three people on motor cycle is uncomfortable .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apart from these the compnay can also move aggresilvely and get into a joint venture with a foreign mobike maker for new investment and technological know-how to enter into the Bike market.A case in point is M&M.It; moved from the Jeep manufacturing into car making with help of a JV with Renault.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apart from these the compnay can also move aggresilvely and get into a joint venture with a foreign mobike maker for new investment and technological know-how to enter into the Bike market.A case in point is M&M.It; moved from the Jeep manufacturing into car making with help of a JV with Renault.

good one dude . appreciated .
Nice initiative.....

With this case on hand, I'd like to start with suggesting few reformatory measures-
>We can start with slashing the rates of our products to a lower value as compared to the leading players. A move like this would attract the common man into buying our product rather than the more expensive ones in the market.
Added to this should be a revived marketing strategy. We must launch a new campaign that could strike a chord with the common man and would end up making him look forward to buying our product.

>We may also attach with our product a scheme which can give the consumer a chance to take away prizes with the vehicle by providing schemes like scratching a card. We can also have a mega prize that would make a deal with us be more lucrative.

This is the first time I've thought over a scenario like this.....so all u puys out there....please help in taking the discussion forward.....and correct me on the wrong aspects....
any criticism is also welcome:)

ur point on marketing sounds good , dude .

Extremely good points. To add to this I would like to say

1)We can have intense advertising networking like " Call us,we will bring the scooter for a free Test ride"

2) After sales linkage. Call the customer once in every quarter to know whether the scooter is giving proper satisfaction.
Extremely good points. To add to this I would like to say

1)We can have intense advertising networking like " Call us,we will bring the scooter for a free Test ride"

2) After sales linkage. Call the customer once in every quarter to know whether the scooter is giving proper satisfaction.

good one . after sales service .
harishdaryani Says
good one . after sales service .

lets brainstorm on this topic for today evening . we can start with the next topic after that . guys get ur grey cells working . its a nice initiative . participate .

Company can enter into an Easy financing schemes with Financial Inst. Since today it's quite difficult to get loans for two wheelers if the company actually ends up providing easy loans to customers for the product, it will lead to more customers buying the product.

Also Company can come up with slight variants of the vehicle say in terms of colors (as in case of scooty pep which comes in lot number of colors).

Place vehicle under different price categories. Say basic variant comes at 20K, Add some accessories like Helmet, Seat covers which under cash and trade ie whole sale will cost say 700. Sell the second variant which contains these accessories at 21k. People buying scooters will end up buying the second variant because retail price of the accessories will cost more than the whole sale price.

harishdaryani Says
lets brainstorm on this topic for today evening . we can start with the next topic after that . guys get ur grey cells working . its a nice initiative . participate .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Companies in the new economy need to move fast by predicting business trends and market behaviour.The scooter maker must realise that in order to survive or flourish in this economy might require it to shed its mindset as a scooter maker and it should resolve to transform itself into a maker of energy efficient scooters, gearless scooties and then slowly build up its war chest to make an entry into the motorcycle market.
The obstacles here will come in the form of employee attiude against such sea side change.This would require managerial initiative and motivation to drive people for the changes being usehered.
this way it can create a base from where it too can enter the motorcycle making business . This will give it the ability to shift according to the market needs.If some day scooters are back in vogue it can easily spruce up its scooter production and if the present inclination towrds bikes continue then it could expand further into bikes while its scooter and scooty business can address niche markets.

Excellent...

Lack of proper market research and changing trends surely would've contributed to the downfall of the sales or losses incurred..
so a boost to the sales would also be possible by channelising some portion of the available resource power to a more profitable domain..research..
tying up with R&D; organizations, or rather getting their own resources(employees) trained about the more recent win-win market research strategies might prove beneficial..

And as pointed out above..this would lead to the company starting to adopt the strategies like identifying the potential customers by doin' proper market research....

huffffffff!!!!!!:)

Excellent...

Lack of proper market research and changing trends surely would've contributed to the downfall of the sales or losses incurred..
so a boost to the sales would also be possible by channelising some portion of the available resource power to a more profitable domain..research..
tying up with R&D; organizations, or rather getting their own resources(employees) trained about the more recent win-win market research strategies might prove beneficial..

And as pointed out above..this would lead to the company starting to adopt the strategies like identifying the potential customers by doin' proper market research....

huffffffff!!!!!!:)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(In true GD style ;)
I think we have covered a lot of options for the company. these include identifying and enetering niche markets for its scooter business.Aggresively scouting for a JV with a bike maker to get increased investment and tech know-how.Increasing the sales pitch and get finance options for its new customer.My final take on it would be.
I think its important for the scooter maker to realise that doing all these may benfit the company , However to truly excel in the long run it must stop from being reactive to having a proactive appraoch . It must setup processes and programs for studying market trends and being market ready for changes in consumer business as and when it happens.Also truly great companies must not be governed by prevalent fashion, rather they must be capable of creating fashion or products that create a market for themselves.Like Apple Corp.No body thought that digital music would a big enough market other than the pirates.However Apple with its Ipod and I Tunes concept changed the way people listen and share their music.
This company can do someting similar.It can change the riules of the game.Like Tata Nano it can launch an extremely inexpensive scooter ( say a 10,000 ruppe scooter) with good styling and moderate power.
-----------I know i am thinking too much----------------------------------------------

i think the company can also factor in customer loyalty, brining in ad campaigns about its history and close, almost family like, link with the customers in the past and how it hopes the customers continue to do so in the future.

All the speakers have given very relevant points( as if i m speaking in a real GD) and to add to it, I would say that CREATION OF BRAND is most important in terms of sales increment. For example I would like to quote the brand of "BAJAJ" wherein they sold scooters primarily till 90's and their tag line of " humara bajaj" was a huge success. But as motorbikes became a fashion statement , bajaj lost a huge market to Hero Honda, TVS etc. But they created their own brand....Bajaj Pulsar with fresh new tag line " Distinctly Ahead". It was a instant hit . Later Bajaj revealed that the cost price of making Bajaj Pulsarwas not a big amount as they used some existing technology from their scooter brands. This is called "reengineering" and hence a collaboration of " R&D;" and " Brand Naming" can be crucial factors.

Great points guys...!! ( this is soo much better than the slam-bam-thanku ma'am at the actual GD )

My view :

Sometimes, when the customer doesnt come to you, you need to take initiative and go to them....so you could set-up stalls at various exhibitions ( dont think they'll burn a hole in the pocket..!!)..maybe even sign an MOU with a retail chain....as mentioned earlier offer a test drive..get more personal with the consumer....open a blog meant specially for scooters..try to revive interest back into scooters..!!

Also, when in crisis, always fall back upon ur biggest strength...in this case its proud past n track-record....bring back the old advert campaign which had caused a rage..!! Even now when we see the "hamara bajaj" ad on TV, you tend to feel nostalgic and want to buy the scooter ( even if u dump it in a week's time..!!)

My view :

Sometimes, when the customer doesnt come to you, you need to take initiative and go to them....so you could set-up stalls at various exhibitions ( dont think they'll burn a hole in the pocket..!!)..maybe even sign an MOU with a retail chain....as mentioned earlier offer a test drive..get more personal with the consumer....open a blog meant specially for scooters..try to revive interest back into scooters..!!

Also, when in crisis, always fall back upon ur biggest strength...in this case its proud past n track-record....bring back the old advert campaign which had caused a rage..!! Even now when we see the "hamara bajaj" ad on TV, you tend to feel nostalgic and want to buy the scooter ( even if u dump it in a week's time..!!)

Excellent Points!!!! There is a difference in thinking of engineers and common man...he is more into sentiments rather than technological know how. We can infer this from the huge success of airtel " Gaun Gaun sheher sheher " campaign and reliance " karlo dunia mutthi mein"......they prove that if we properly mix technology with marketing with a touch of humanism, then it can turn out to be a complete success.

In addition to some of the very pertinent points like
1). targeting nuclear families.
2).Ease of riding so that it can target the female section

I would like to add the following points with explnations:

1). Scooters are cheap both in terms of initial cost, have advantage of lower fuel costs and lower cost on insurance over motorcycle. One should target the middle class section which forms a very large section of Indian customer market.

2). One advantage of scooters is that it has cargo storage provision, a stepney which can be used in case of unexpected exigency. This advantage should be brought to the notice of the customers by backing it up with innovative ads.

Please suggest if the points look good.

Joyan

I
2). One advantage of scooters is that it has cargo storage provision, a stepney which can be used in case of unexpected exigency. This advantage should be brought to the notice of the customers by backing it up with innovative ads.

FYI:-
One more excellent point.Lets keep up the good work. Puys, i was thinking about two case studies a day.At around 10.00 PM i'll post a new case study after we have a summary of the earlier one. And if nebody has ne video to share , please do it and we can discuss that too.