Prep1: 650; Prep2: 600; GMAT: 710 !!!!

Hi Guys… Jus wanted to post this to tell people that getting low scores in GMATPrep tests doesn’t mean you will stay rite there… It aint over until its over!!! I jus want to share my experience here… IMO, the preps must be used 1…

Hi Guys...
Jus wanted to post this to tell people that getting low scores in GMATPrep tests doesn't mean you will stay rite there... It aint over until its over!!!
I jus want to share my experience here...

IMO, the preps must be used
1. To know what weaknesses u have, and where u make mistakes
2. To get a feel of how the algorithm works.

Reviewing the Prep test is absolutely essential. I found out that the main reason for me tanking the preps was
1. Mistakes in initial questions
2. Getting consecutive questions wrong at regular intervals

@First few questions
There is a general counter-opinion (incl. GMAC themselves) that the first few questions aren't more important than the latter. But, in my experience, it IS important as it sets u up for the kind of questions u ll get in the middle stages. And given that in the end, a cumulative assessment of all questions is made, you will be better off having more 700-level questions in the mid-tier rather than 600-level questions. Also, once u come down to 600L early, u ll have to play the catch-up game, which anyday is not advisable.

@consecutive errors
I really couldn't figure out how it affects the score, I read in a lot of forums that getting consecutive errors - even at the fag end of the test would prove VERY costly. So, never slack in between or the end and go wild-guessing more than 2 questions. It cud drag u down like u never imagined. My first prep had a lot of these - and though i got 8/10 first questions rite in the verbal, I ended up getting 26 - largely due to guessing in mid-RCs.

@General approach
Never think too much about the algorithm, or the first few questions and the consecutive error stuff. Take it question-by-question, one by one. We have no other option but to attempt all questions. Unattempted sections tank heavily! And ofcourse, when u attempt a question, u are trying to get IT right. So forget what questions u got or wat u might get. Jus ensure the question on the screen is answered right. I got a lot of crazy questions in the middle of QA (5+5-5 / 5-5-5 = ? ). So don worry @ dat.

And always remember: IT AINT OVER UNTIL ITS OVER!!! so whether u get 600 or 750 in preps - GMAT is gonna be a whole different ball game!

Gud luck to all! Cheers!

Hi hiddenname,
I am scoring in the range of 660-670 in the GMATPreps and Manhattan CATs. Since I am targetting 720+ score, should i reschedule my GMAT (12 days left)?

Thanks, thanks, thanks

I gave my Prep2 two days before the gmat. Just trying to say that getting bad score in prep doesn mean u will do the same in gmat. Its an 'independent event'! 😛

Thanks!!!

what are you upto? are you already studying MBA? where?

Congrats dude!

Hi. Abhishek here. I was looking for motivational advice like the one you just gave and your right "it aint over until its over!!". I have my exam on Monday. Still unable to reach that elusive 700. Hovering around 660 and 670. Was feeling sick about myself until I saw this one..thanks..:)

Abhishek

Hi Guys...
Jus wanted to post this to tell people that getting low scores in GMATPrep tests doesn't mean you will stay rite there... It aint over until its over!!!
I jus want to share my experience here...

IMO, the preps must be used
1. To know what weaknesses u have, and where u make mistakes
2. To get a feel of how the algorithm works.

Reviewing the Prep test is absolutely essential. I found out that the main reason for me tanking the preps was
1. Mistakes in initial questions
2. Getting consecutive questions wrong at regular intervals

@First few questions
There is a general counter-opinion (incl. GMAC themselves) that the first few questions aren't more important than the latter. But, in my experience, it IS important as it sets u up for the kind of questions u ll get in the middle stages. And given that in the end, a cumulative assessment of all questions is made, you will be better off having more 700-level questions in the mid-tier rather than 600-level questions. Also, once u come down to 600L early, u ll have to play the catch-up game, which anyday is not advisable.

@consecutive errors
I really couldn't figure out how it affects the score, I read in a lot of forums that getting consecutive errors - even at the fag end of the test would prove VERY costly. So, never slack in between or the end and go wild-guessing more than 2 questions. It cud drag u down like u never imagined. My first prep had a lot of these - and though i got 8/10 first questions rite in the verbal, I ended up getting 26 - largely due to guessing in mid-RCs.

@General approach
Never think too much about the algorithm, or the first few questions and the consecutive error stuff. Take it question-by-question, one by one. We have no other option but to attempt all questions. Unattempted sections tank heavily! And ofcourse, when u attempt a question, u are trying to get IT right. So forget what questions u got or wat u might get. Jus ensure the question on the screen is answered right. I got a lot of crazy questions in the middle of QA (5+5-5 / 5-5-5 = ? ). So don worry @ dat.

And always remember: IT AINT OVER UNTIL ITS OVER!!! so whether u get 600 or 750 in preps - GMAT is gonna be a whole different ball game!

Gud luck to all! Cheers!

Hi
Thanks for sharing your experience with the perparation. Its very helpful. Although I would appreciate if you could advice me a bit here.
I am giving the gmat for the second time and am getting the scores in the range of (590-630) in manhattan gmat tests. I got a 610 (Q45, V28 ) in gmat prep 1 ! My aim is 680+ but i have only one more week left to prepare!
My average individual scores are : (Q42, V30) (Manhattan)

Any suggestions...

Thanks 😃

nothing particular i can think of... jus see where u make mistakes and how u get the low scores.. understand how the scoring algo works (atleast to an extent) -- and jus stay +ve... every test is independent. there is absolutely NO pattern in the scoring.. believe me!

nothing particular i can think of... jus see where u make mistakes and how u get the low scores.. understand how the scoring algo works (atleast to an extent) -- and jus stay +ve... every test is independent. there is absolutely NO pattern in the scoring.. believe me!

how do i delete the posts? some problem with site - repeated my post thrice!!!!! 😲 any help wud be appreciated! (its *embarrassing* ) ! 😛

posts cant be deleted,
u can edit the posts and can write it as "duplicate post"