Prep strategy for test in Sep 2009 (need suggestion)

Hello Fellow Members I am new to this forum but have been able to gather a lot of substantial information on preparing strategy. To achieve the below, I’ve come up with the following strategy and would really appreciate if you guys can sugge…

Hello Fellow Members

I am new to this forum but have been able to gather a lot of substantial information on preparing strategy. To achieve the below, I've come up with the following strategy and would really appreciate if you guys can suggest any modification required.

Test Date:I intend to write GMAT in last week of August or early September 2009 to apply for the Fall 2010 season.
Time Period: 3 Full months and I'm on sabbatical, so no work
Target Score: 700+

SECTION WISE:

Quant Section:
I'm a newbie into Maths world because its been 9 years that I studied basic arithmetic and Geometry though luckily I'm an Engineer.
I'm all set to finish my foundation level course with basics of maths and getting it through private tutor. During this period, I'm doing plethora of CAT based questions from books like RS Aggarwal, Arihant Publisher CAT Quant and 4GMAT Maths workbook. I'm also doing Kaplan 800 during this time. Once I'm through with basics in June(Target date), from July I'll start with Sample questions of OG 12 followed by revision of Kaplan 800 and other high level questions. In between I'll take 2-3 practice test.

Verbal Section:
I feel an air of confidence for this part.

RC: Till now I've attempted 12 RC's from OG 12 and have got 7 of them fully correct. So, I will finish all the RC's given in OG in this month only. Any other book ?

SC: I'm not bad in it but would surely need to remember rules rather than counting on my instincts/ intuition. My Manhattan SC is on its way and therefore I'll finish it + OG SC exercise by July mid.

CR: It's a very critical area for me and I've not been able to get hang of it. It feels more of a hit and trial rather then counter intuitively marking the answer. Although I'm doing questions from OG but I need suggestions on preparing for it properly.

AWA:
My writing skills are pretty decent.

Utlimately after completing OG 12 and other above mentioned books, I'll start taking test every week and then every 1-2 days (July-August).

I look forward to receive soon

--
Regards & Best Wishes
Vaibhav Mittal
W: YouTube - Vaibhav8584's Channel
B: Women's tryst with her Destiny

"The test of a vocation is the love of the drudgery it involves" - L.P. Smith

hey dude,

ur story is very very similar to mine... even i am going to take a date for august end or sept 1st week...

ok... so for verbal, u can refer to the kaplan verbal workbook, and go slowly on it... sink in the explanations...then for more practice go for kaplan premier edition...

for CR, again workbook should suffice... and maths, its good to go for CAT material, but do focus on GMAT kind of questions coz they are "tricky" which look easy! but 1 piece of advise for all reading this, it has been reported that the actual GMAT quant questions' level is on a higher side than u'll ever get to practice from ANY GMAT material... so watch out... and thats why i said, CAT material is good...

even i am looking for a 700+ and i actually need to accelerate my prep and bring it to CLOSURE at the said time... so lets do it mate! :)

cheers
rajvedi

hi,
i m also planning for sept end. i need one clarification whether i will be able to apply for R1- ISB.

I've booked the date of 7/9 (Monday) for the test. 😃

i think the last date for round 1 ISB is 15th Sept. so i dont think you'll be able to apply.

i have already taken a date of 1st sept.
all the best to u guys.

i have taken a date for 8th sept... ... therefore, requesting all sept. test takers to be active here and to help each other in staying focused!

rajvedi Says
i have taken a date for 8th sept... ... therefore, requesting all sept. test takers to be active here and to help each other in staying focused!

That would be good.
Let's start by hearing the preparation strategy which others have planned for themselves.

first i will list out the material i will be referring to and then the strategy talk...
materials:
1. Kaplan Verbal Workbook(completed in June, full length test remaining)
2. Kaplan Maths Workbook(10% remaining, but those are the imp. areas like word problems, DS)
3. Kaplan Premier Edition(verbal section completed)
4. OG12.. just bought yesterday 😃
5. Kaplan Tests, GMATPrep tests, Manhattan tests...dont have any of them as of now but these are the ones i would want to take...

ok... so here is my strategy for the coming 2 months...

1. i will be starting with OG12 and would hope to get a good amount of practice and confidence from it.

2. i will also be taking 1 kaplan test (which is in the kaplan book) as a diagnostic test to measure my level of prep as of now. this needs to be done asap..very likely to be on this weekend itself.

3. then continuing with OG, i will be targeting a couple of more kaplan tests. and would expect a good score, if not then again focus more on prep and give myself some time.

4. in case i feel the need for more practice, the material i know of is GMAT verbal review, Kaplan 800..thats it.

5. and finally in august end... when my date is nearing... probably i will start taking manhattan tests (dont know from where to buy them)

thats it folks... plz do suggest on these lines and come up with ur strategies as well... 😃

cheers
sid

first i will list out the material i will be referring to and then the strategy talk...
materials:
1. Kaplan Verbal Workbook(completed in June, full length test remaining)
2. Kaplan Maths Workbook(10% remaining, but those are the imp. areas like word problems, DS)
3. Kaplan Premier Edition(verbal section completed)
4. OG12.. just bought yesterday 😃
5. Kaplan Tests, GMATPrep tests, Manhattan tests...dont have any of them as of now but these are the ones i would want to take...

ok... so here is my strategy for the coming 2 months...

1. i will be starting with OG12 and would hope to get a good amount of practice and confidence from it.

2. i will also be taking 1 kaplan test (which is in the kaplan book) as a diagnostic test to measure my level of prep as of now. this needs to be done asap..very likely to be on this weekend itself.

3. then continuing with OG, i will be targeting a couple of more kaplan tests. and would expect a good score, if not then again focus more on prep and give myself some time.

4. in case i feel the need for more practice, the material i know of is GMAT verbal review, Kaplan 800..thats it.

5. and finally in august end... when my date is nearing... probably i will start taking manhattan tests (dont know from where to buy them)

thats it folks... plz do suggest on these lines and come up with ur strategies as well... 😃

cheers

sid

hello,

me too having date in sept. date is 1st sept. well regding the manhattan tests, i hv heard that they are good. if u want we can pool and buy the tests. someone else also approached me the other day. that would be cost effective.

also do u hav the softcopy of kaplan verbal workbook and quant workbook.

if u need any help frm my side 4 any material, do let me knw.

thanks,
parul.
hello,

me too having date in sept. date is 1st sept. well regding the manhattan tests, i hv heard that they are good. if u want we can pool and buy the tests. someone else also approached me the other day. that would be cost effective.

also do u hav the softcopy of kaplan verbal workbook and quant workbook. if so can u mail me at [email protected].

thanks,
parul.

Hi Parul,

Kindly edit your email id. Its against the PG rule to post your contact details. Use PM facility for the same..:)
hello,

also do u hav the softcopy of kaplan verbal workbook and quant workbook.

thanks,
parul.

hi,

i dont have the workbook softcopies... and yes, pooling in for tests is a good idea so u can count me in, but i was wondering how would this materialise as the tests may be on a CD... also its better to buy a manhattan book for 1300 with which u get the 6 tests as well, instead of going for the same 6 tests separately for 2k...

to all: if u guys can share ur strategies and prep material, i would appreciate that...

and hows the prep going guys?? before shedding tears on the verbal section, i wanted to check if there are like minded people here :|

cheers
sid
Hi Parul,

Kindly edit your email id. Its against the PG rule to post your contact details. Use PM facility for the same..:)

hehe...but i am sure this was not the reason why you visited here... so can you start off by letting us know ur GMAT experience/ prep strategies etc etc. or are u a PG admin? 😐
rajvedi

sure i would let u knw my prep.i am still doin OG 11, hav done kaplan premier, started 800, manhattan sc tips.would b givin test this wekend.what abt u?
paruloberoi Says
sure i would let u knw my prep.i am still doin OG 11, hav done kaplan premier, started 800, manhattan sc tips.would b givin test this wekend.what abt u?

started with og12... done with kaplan verbal workbook and almost with maths workbook... so in a nutshell, still have a long way to go, especially to take that 1st test sometime soon... 😃

yah even i am takin a test this weekend. which one would u b givin?

paruloberoi Says
yah even i am takin a test this weekend. which one would u b givin?

well, as we've seen that sharing manhattan tests might not be possible, so i'll have to go with kaplan...1 from the CD... (have an option for the test in the book also but dont know how will they evaluate the score in that case, u hav any idea?)

Hello Guys

My preparation is now in 3'rd gear urf full swinf and I've just completed with the syllabus Maths once and will be doing OG, Kaplan 800 and numerous DS question online because thats my weak area.

For Verbal, I've completed Manhattan SC and will now do SC part of OG 12, which will be followed by Kaplan 800.

I wish to complete the OG once in next 15 days.

How is the prep of others coming along?

Best,
VM

Hello Guys

My preparation is now in 3'rd gear urf full swinf and I've just completed with the syllabus Maths once and will be doing OG, Kaplan 800 and numerous DS question online because thats my weak area.

For Verbal, I've completed Manhattan SC and will now do SC part of OG 12, which will be followed by Kaplan 800.

I wish to complete the OG once in next 15 days.

How is the prep of others coming along?

Best,
VM

its good to know vaibhav, that ur focused towards ur goal...

my prep was going well last week but there was this interruption because of a technical interview with some company, so it brought back bad memories of work related issues and hence affected my flow!!

anyhow, i also re-started maths today after a 20 day gap... am almost done with the kaplan maths workbook(it just helped to 'see' the kind of maths qs one can expect in gmat, tats all i guess) and wish to start the maths section of OG in a day or 2...

have done some 50 qs from each of the verbal sections...so overall, the target is to complete OG in the next 15 days! then to kaplan 800 and some more maths from kaplan premier!