Postcards For Education

For the past 12 years, The George Foundation has committed itself to breaking the cycle of poverty that impacts some of the world’s poorest children. The school, Shanti Bhavan, has become a beacon of safety, hope and opportunity for children who w…

For the past 12 years, The George Foundation has committed itself to breaking the cycle of poverty that impacts some of the world's poorest children. The school, Shanti Bhavan, has become a beacon of safety, hope and opportunity for children who would otherwise have no chance to succeed in life.

Shanti Bhavan was founded in 1996 in a rural village outside of Bangalore. It is a home and an exceptional school for 210 children from India's lowest or "untouchable" castes. The children come from families that face constant social discrimination; they are deprived of the opportunity to live with dignity, and do not have access to proper education, employment, basic health care and human rights.

I have made a documentary on this school and have been fortunate to see how this school works and I can personally vouch for the quality of education they get.
A lot of such charities are very basic in what they offer to such children. But these kids have the best facilities, great musical instruments, art supplies, books, uniforms, delicious and nutritious food, big playgrounds and roomy bedrooms. I dare say it compares well to those posh schools kids go to these days.

These children are rescued from homes where they could be sent to work in the fields or worse, married off.

Today, owing to the financial crisis, the project has been affected and is struggling to maintain current services and anticipate that the next 1-2 years will be particularly challenging.

Shanti Bhavan is currently operating at $20,000 per month, which includes residential care, food, clothing, medical services, academic programming and administrative costs. While the staff remains dedicated to the mission, everyone is stretched to the maximum with cost cuts.

These children, deserve a safe place to learn and grow. Please join me in ensuring that the school remains open and the children have a home.

NOW HERE'S THE DEAL:

I know that the financial crisis has affected everyone in some way or the other. I dont want you to feel like your goodness has been taken advantage of.

So if you will please make a donation here I will send you a postcard with a handmade drawing. Proper snail mail and everything.

Again, you should of course be able to see what youre going to get, so I have posted some images of some drawings I did for a personal project in 2005.I assure you my skills have improved since then.

here I will send you a postcard with a handmade drawing. Proper snail mail and everything.

Again, you should of course be able to see what youre going to get, so I have posted some images of some drawings I did for a personal project in 2005.I assure you my skills have improved since then.

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six

These are reproductions from my favourite artists. I don't know how many million copyright laws are being violated. But since this isn't a commercial project, I hope the gods of fair use will forgive me for this.

I have to add that, since I don't run the website, I would be writing to the Foundation to get the list of names. But I'd rather you post your name here so I can send you a postcard. I'll contact you directly for the mailing address. This is all in good faith, so I don't need to know how much you donated, only that you have. Thank you in advance.

I trust you'll find this a worthy cause to loosen your purse strings.
Postcards guaranteed!