Post your profile for help with shortlisting universities

Post ur profiles in this thread and lets hope experienced students here will help us with their inputs. A breif about my profile: I am from India. GMAT - 740 TOEFL - 287 ACADEMIC: I am 25 year old engineer in the field o…

Post ur profiles in this thread and lets hope experienced students here will help us with their inputs.

A breif about my profile:

I am from India.

GMAT - 740
TOEFL - 287

ACADEMIC:
I am 25 year old engineer in the field of Electronics and Telecommunication. I have been the top performer at my institute and have been the recepient of scholarships twice in four years. I have also received quite a few other awards for academic excellence. Always ranked either 1st or 2nd in my institute.

Work-Experience:

After engineering I worked for 2 years as a software developer at a multinational. During this I was also posted to US for 4 months for some additional work assignments. I was responsilble for heading a team of 5 people, was involved in security audits and was also the security coordinator for my project. After that for the next 2 years I have worked at a very small manufactuing company as an Assistant Marketing Manager. This is a very small organization with only about 50 employees. I made this change in career as I wanted to shift into marketing and also learn about the manufactuing industry as my dream is to start my own consultancy firm. So since I had the knowledge of service industry I also wanted to learn about manufactuing to complete my knowldege. Though it is a very small organization the roles and responsibilites that I have in this organization are very significant. It ranged from client meetings to presentations to designing marketing mix to creating promotions.

Extra-Curicullar:

I am the founder member and the secretarty of alumni association of my engineering college. I was reponsible for initiating and establishing the committe, setting up the website, creating industry interface for the institute throguh the alumni network, conducting guest lectures and training the students in group discussion, personal interview and presentation skills.

I was also the chair of the Placements committe at my engineering college. Here I had to organize the members in teams and coordinate all efforts of the committee. The committtee was reponsible for establishing contacts in the industry and convincing them to recruit from our campus.

I was also the member of students council responsible for organizing Annual functions, annual sports meets and college cultural festival.

I have been active in a variety of sports from Soccer to cricket and have won quite a few awards for the same.

Social Service:

During college days I have volunteered for organizing a number of blood donation camps. I am currently heading a group of 6 people and together we are trying to edcuate the underpriviledged children in our locality. We also try to spread awareness amongst the parents about the value of education so that they send their kids to school. But it is not an officially registered organization.

I wanted to know based on my profile which are the colleges that I have a good chance of securing and admit. I given below the tentative list of colleges that I was looking forward to applying for Fall 2007. If possible I want you guys to tell me what are the strenghts and weaknesses in my application and also what are my chances in each of these colleges. Also if you could suggest which are the best colleges based on my profile and any colleges that I have missed out in the list. I want to major in the field of marketing.

1. Wharton
2. Harvard
3. Stanford
4. Kellog
5. Columbia
6. NYU - Stern
7. Michigan Ann Arbor
8. Berkley - Haas
9. Duke
10. UCLA - Anderson

Please let me know if I have missed out on any good colleges based on my profile.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Profiles can only do so much as a tool to judge others' choices of their schools.
Schools choice would ultimately be very subjective. and with the general junta around here, ppl just wudn't resist commenting on the posts!

I am not sure how this thread is going to move ahead.

anyway

ATB

Kunal

Hi nagpalkunal,
What I feel is that the most common question for many newbies (like me) would be "what level of colleges can you realistically get an admit to with my profile".
At least I would like an answer however vague to that question so that I can use it to set my personal expectations and work towards a smaller target.

I feel that the more experieced guys could to an extent give advice on that, provided the posters provide enuf information on wht they are doing currently and wht they want to be doin post MBA.

All in all if feel a thread like this could do well to kick start your mission MBA :)

Just my 2 cents.

My profile in short :
decent academics (good school grades 90%, avg collage grades 76%) i guess, 4 + years IT experiece, started off in india , now kind of transitioning into IT Consulting (technology consulting) for the past 1 year, worked in India (obviously) , did a project in New Zealand and now presently in Saudi Arabia as EAI consultant to a telecom client.

Why do I want to do an MBA ? - I really like the kind of work that involves working with the clients and it feels real good when you see your suggestions make improvements to the organization process/revenue (from the little that I have done ). So I would like to expand my horizons and to advance in consulting management/IT consulting.. really difficult to quantify and precipitate into words I guess. Looking at something of my own some years down the lane...

Yet to write GMAT , but prep started 😃 ... targetting 2008 (with 5 years exp)
Regards,
Anoop

I am BMS student in international Finance and Special studies in Finance at N M College of Commerce and Economics, Mumbai. Currently, I am working in JP Morgan as a Research Assistant. I am interested in taking MBA course in finance in your respected college. My area of interest lies in Investment banking, Finance, marketing and corporate management. I have been taking courses and working in the above mentioned areas. After gaining a considerable experience working with JP Morgan, Mumbai, India, I embarked on my master's degree to enhance my knowledge in key finance fields such as corporate finance, investment banking and management. I worked as a marketing assistant at Career Launcher.
During my JP Morgan experience I have been doing company profiles and opportunity search through various research sources. I have worked on many pitches including Kumho tire merger and Air Deccan IPO etc. I work on trading comparables and Transaction comparables. I am responsible for sending out airlines and auto parts updates every week to our global JP Morgan network. I am also working on the pilot project-"Pension Funds" for the New York JP Morgan. I have scored 670 in GMAT in June 2006.

Presently, I am serving as Public Relations in charge of 'Work life balance' group of JP Morgan responsible for arranging programmes and taking care of budgets for outings.

My sound academic background, complimented with my leadership skills and project management experience will help in excel in any competitive industry. I strongly feel that my blended knowledge of finance, development, management and analysis will aid me to perform well as an eligible finance student and further my growth at your respected college.
Do let me know if you require any additional information from my side.
I am an active member of 'CRY' and have the experience of teaching mathematics and English in Father Agnel Orphanage for the same cause. Also I have volunteered in many CRY projects including Child rights awareness programme and selling of handicrafts in corporate sector.
Thank you for your time and attention.
I am BMS student in international Finance and Special studies in Finance at N M College of Commerce and Economics, Mumbai. Currently, I am working in JP Morgan as a Research Assistant. I am interested in taking MBA course in finance in your respected college. My area of interest lies in Investment banking, Finance, marketing and corporate management. I have been taking courses and working in the above mentioned areas. After gaining a considerable experience working with JP Morgan, Mumbai, India, I embarked on my masters degree to enhance my knowledge in key finance fields such as corporate finance, investment banking and management. I worked as a marketing assistant at Career Launcher.

During my JP Morgan experience I have been doing company profiles and opportunity search through various research sources. I have worked on many pitches including Kumho tire merger and Air Deccan IPO etc. I work on trading comparables and Transaction comparables. I am responsible for sending out airlines and auto parts updates every week to our global JP Morgan network. I am also working on the pilot project-Pension Funds for the New York JP Morgan. I have scored 610 in GMAT in June 2006.

Presently, I am serving as Public Relations in charge of Work life balance group of JP Morgan responsible for arranging programmes and taking care of budgets for outings.

My sound academic background, complimented with my leadership skills and project management experience will help in excel in any competitive industry. I strongly feel that my blended knowledge of finance, development, management and analysis will aid me to perform well as an eligible finance student and further my growth at your respected college.
Do let me know if you require any additional information from my side.

I am an active member of CRY and have the experience of teaching mathematics and English in Father Agnel Orphanage for the same cause. Also I have volunteered in many CRY projects including Child rights awareness programme and selling of handicrafts in corporate sector.
Thank you for your time and attention.

Wow, you already have your application essay ready.

ze kya hay bhai!!!!

oye namita... dara relee hai kya?!!?

Hi,
I think this wud be more of SOP reather than an essay? Could you please help me with some essay topics if you any or have any sample ones. I tried all online samples but they are not up to mark or not the one i m looking for.
Thanx

Why u think so. Its not fine?
acatually iu m looking for the mba essay topic other thean the SOP.

Why u think so. Its not fine?
actually iu m looking for the mba essay topic other thean the SOP.

this is a very crude essay , but an ok one to start with.you are almost walking thru ur resume.dont u want to tell something different , like what an MBA would give u...you "worked at career launcher " ....so what...? what did it give u..?...tell abt how ur experiences have shaped ur ideas and ambitions.!...

Hi,
thanx for the reply.
I am currently working on taht. I post my sop and essay soon I would like yu to cooment on that also.