Please let me know about my chances for US MBA

Hi everybody, I am new to the forum and found it quite interesting and informative. I hope I will be able to clear my doubts with the help of well-informed members. I have 1.5 years of work ex in a reputed Management Consultancy firm(b…

Hi everybody,

I am new to the forum and found it quite interesting and informative.
I hope I will be able to clear my doubts with the help of well-informed members.

I have 1.5 years of work ex in a reputed Management Consultancy firm(but without any global exposure, have done assignments mainly for Indian clients). Straight after BSc.(Hons) from Delhi University, I went for MBA from IIT(CGPA 7.86).(2002-04 Batch)

I have keen desire to work in a Consulting firm/ Investment Bank in US.have come to know that to get job in US, a degree from US is a must. My queries are:

(i) Should I go for Second MBA in US or should I apply for any other course?

(ii) If I target 700+ GMAT score and try to build strong resume, can i hope for Top 20 US schools for Fall 2007.(I am planning to give GMAT by May 06)

(iii) How about trying to get top Canada B-Schools?( as Tuition fees is comparatively low).Can I get a suitable job in US after MBA from Top Canada B-Schools?

Will appreciate your valuable inputs.Thanks in advance.

(i) Should I go for Second MBA in US or should I apply for any other course?

Yes but considering you have just passed out of your MBA you should consider waiting a few more years. Else you will look like a perpetual student.

(ii) If I target 700+ GMAT score and try to build strong resume, can i hope for Top 20 US schools for Fall 2007.(I am planning to give GMAT by May 06)

Yes but maybe Fall 2008 and more importantly show career progression. Nothing like that. A GMAT score of +/-700 will do but nothing to beat career growth.

(iii) How about trying to get top Canada B-Schools?( as Tuition fees is comparatively low).Can I get a suitable job in US after MBA from Top Canada B-Schools?

Canada is no different than US. Just that you don't have an equivalent of a H/W/S in Canada. Also, consider IMD or INSEAD if you have more global exposure.

HTH,

Arun

Thanks a ton.

Infact,i am quite confused whether to focus on GMAT preparation or Career progression or try to do both.I have just started preparing for GMAT.

From your reply, I gather that presently I should focus more on Career progression.

Just wanted to know whether Second MBA is seen as negative point by top US School?

Medha_20| Says
Just wanted to know whether Second MBA is seen as negative point by top US School?

Quite a few top schools dont even admit students for a second MBA. You will have to chk with the individual school on this.

You might also find it difficult to justify the need for a second MBA so soon into your career (only 2+ yrs by the time you apply).

|Medha_20 Says
Infact,i am quite confused whether to focus on GMAT preparation or Career progression or try to do both.I have just started preparing for GMAT.

I dont think there's any competition between the two. GMAT can be done by preparing for a couple of months max - some people might disagree with this :). Try building your profile in the meanwhile.

HTH,
Uday

Thanks Uday.

Yes, I am aware that few top schools don't even admit students for second MBA.But I am also not sure about other school's opinion on second MBA.

Justification for second MBA is that I want to work in US(mainly Consulting/Investment Bank) and for that they need US degree.

I had to go for MBA in India because I am a BSc graduate(under 10+2+3 scheme) and US Schools require (10+2+4) eduaction , so I had to go for PG before being eligible to apply for US MBA.Therefore I chose to do an MBA just after my graduation.

If you are aware of any other course that will be suitable for my profile and expectations(of working in US Consulting firms/Investment Bank) then please tell me about it.

I am realizing that building a good profile is more important.In addition,will also try to prepare for GMAT.In any case, I don't think there is any harm in having GMAT score much before I intend to apply.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Thanks Uday.

Justification for second MBA is that I want to work in US(mainly Consulting/Investment Bank) and for that they need US degree.

dont ever say that in your application. if a b-school gets the slightest whiff that you wanna use their mba just to get into the US market, your application goes right out of the window.

there`s this fancy thing called "re-tooling". it basically amounts to telling a b-school that hey, i`ve done an mba like ages ago and i need to update my concepts and catch up with the advancements of the world by doing another mba. there u`ll need to go for some accelerated program and emphasise on the course being a refresher, rather than a career starter. but again, to justify that you need a retooling, u need to have substantial work ex...like 5-6 years at least. some schools dont look at retooling candidates favorably...and some schools explicitly bar them from applying.

If you are aware of any other course that will be suitable for my profile and expectations(of working in US Consulting firms/Investment Bank) then please tell me about it.

i think an MS finance/financial engineering course from a top univ is good for u (i`m assuming u`re into finance considering your i-banking inclination). this course is one year and focusses exclusively and intensely only on finance. you could say u wanna gain greater depth in finance. look at it this way: you`ll have the breadth of general management with an mba from a place like IIT, and u`ll have the depth of advanced finance with an MS from a top univ....good combo i think. if u`re no into finance, there are other MS progrmas in management too, and they do take ppl with less work ex.

UC berkely and princeton have the top MS finance courses. take a look at the student profile of UCB, there are guys with btech IIT+ mba IIM in there!!

In any case, I don't think there is any harm in having GMAT score much before I intend to apply.

actually, there is. technically, the gmat score is valid for 5 years, but if the score is older than 2 years, u`re sometimes asked to retake the gmat coz your fundas might have one rusty since u gave the gmat the first time. it is advisable to take the gmat at most 2 years before applying.

Thanks for the feedback.

Crash_test_dummy| Says
dont ever say that in your application. if a b-school gets the slightest whiff that you wanna use their mba just to get into the US market, your application goes right out of the window..

Frankly speaking, I want to use their degree just to get into the US market.However,I need to evade this real point in my application.

i think an MS finance/financial engineering course from a top univ is good for u (i`m assuming u`re into finance considering your i-banking inclination). this course is one year and focusses exclusively and intensely only on finance. you could say u wanna gain greater depth in finance. look at it this way: you`ll have the breadth of general management with an mba from a place like IIT, and u`ll have the depth of advanced finance with an MS from a top univ....good combo i think. if u`re no into finance, there are other MS progrmas in management too, and they do take ppl with less work ex.

UC berkely and princeton have the top MS finance courses. take a look at the student profile of UCB, there are guys with btech IIT+ mba IIM in there!!

I agree with you. Infact I am trying to weigh my options(Second MBA/MS Finance/MFE/any other MS in Management) to fulfill my desire of getting into US Job Market.

Have just started searching about other MS programs in Management.
I went to websites of UCB and Princeton. In UCB, found 4 Indians in current batch.Mostly IIT+MBA(IIM/ISB) or MS.

Based on my preliminary research MS Finance suits me more than Masters in Finance Engineering.I am still looking out for other programs so that I can work in a US Management Consulting/Financial services company.

|Crash_test_dummy Says
actually, there is. technically, the gmat score is valid for 5 years, but if the score is older than 2 years, u`re sometimes asked to retake the gmat coz your fundas might have one rusty since u gave the gmat the first time. it is advisable to take the gmat at most 2 years before applying.

I am planning to give GMAT by mid 2006. I would like to go for my chosen course either in Fall 2007 or in Fall 2008.(by then will have 3-4 years of work ex).

Thanks again for the inputs.