Please Assess my profile !!!!

Hi guys… I am in a big dilemma right now and would really really appreciate if someone could provide me some advice. Here is my profile: Engg: IIT Bombay:2004: 8.4/10 with comparatively better grades towards end of the course GMAT…

Hi guys....

I am in a big dilemma right now and would really really appreciate if someone could provide me some advice. Here is my profile:

Engg: IIT Bombay:2004: 8.4/10 with comparatively better grades towards end of the course
GMAT: 740 (V92, M96)
Workex: 18 months till date ( would be 26 m approx at start of fall term)
Professional Aims: to start as an associate in Fixed Income/ Derivatives firm and build career towards holding a mngmnt position in IB industry or Hedge funds.

Workex involves one year at an IT/Financial Consulting firm in Bangalore, India and six months in a Derivatives Research firm in Tokyo, Japan. Experience has been kinda OK/rich with client interaction, mentorship roles etc though not much of leadership roles. Also academics involve publication of two research papers in quantitative finance during my undergraduation.

decent ECs at college level. Sports etc...

I have started the application process but am a lil intimidated by the applicants with three-four yrs of exp. I know quality of workex counts but I am really not able to understand how do I evaluate the quality of my work experience. Should I put following points in my essay:

1. I recieved a really good appraisal at my previous company with me being in top 5%.
2. Working in tokyo is a different exp in itself: work ethics, culture, language difficulties etc... should I focus on how I managed to cope.??

Please help me out with these questions and also if nebody could suggest how aggressively I should go about apping because currently I am not fully confident and I am thinking of not applying in more than two three colleges. My colleges include Tuck, Wharton, Columbia and may be Chicago. Please suggest. How does my profile sound?

Thnx a lot

Rishabh.

accidental post ... oops

Rishab I have no clue what to say because I did not understand your question. I am extremely dumb in this regards

I can just see that you are a bit apprehensive. But I am unable to fathom why. You are a shark for the BSchools. The way I see it you would be apping in 2006 for fall 2007 when you should have around 4 years workexp. With your profile i don't see why you should not get into a H/W/S.

I am being serious. I have seen few profiles as good as yours. Just work on the resumes and get them through on time. Infact it would not be a bad idea to go for a dry run this year and aim for a couple of colleges. Only problem being that if you get dinged there is very little you can show next year as a reapplicant.

All the best !

Arun

Hey Arun... thanks a lot for pepping me up 😃
My question was exactly what you have answered.... I wanted to assess my chances if I app this year...... I am sure next year my prep would be better and wud have a stronger resume but was thinking of givin a shot this year in two three schools as yu suggested..... 😃
thanks a lot ....
rishabh

Rishab I have no clue what to say because I did not understand your question. I am extremely dumb in this regards

I can just see that you are a bit apprehensive. But I am unable to fathom why. You are a shark for the BSchools. The way I see it you would be apping in 2006 for fall 2007 when you should have around 4 years workexp. With your profile i don't see why you should not get into a H/W/S.

I am being serious. I have seen few profiles as good as yours. Just work on the resumes and get them through on time. Infact it would not be a bad idea to go for a dry run this year and aim for a couple of colleges. Only problem being that if you get dinged there is very little you can show next year as a reapplicant.

All the best !

Arun

Yep think about it. An investment of over 50lakhs PLUS a chance to change the course of your career is definitely worth the 1 year wait. Considering that you are doing freaking good for yourself Aisa nahi ki ghar pe berozgaar baithe ho. I would suggest you do stuff like:

(a) Get all transcripts right away

(b) Save money for app process :wink:

(c) Take TOEFL if not taken already

(d) Start thinking about post-MBA and try coming up with convincing stuff to put on essays. I would even go to the extreme of suggesting that you download the essays for this year. They won't change drastically next year. That way you can be very clear about what you put there.

(e) Try contacting the college and get as much info as you want. I would suggest that you don't apply for more than 5-6 places as your hit rate is very high. Instead select colleges you would be geniunely interested in.

(f) Sounds dumb but try working on extra-curriculars and community services part now.

(g) Try if you can do something different by next year. Maybe travel to a few places or pick up some thing which will look great on your essays/resumes. Toastmaster/Mensa or something maybe.

Arun

PS: Wharton/Stern are the best for finance. You might want to have a dekho now.

Jeeez... gotta agree with Psycho...

Pretty Awesome CV man... makes me feel like a school kid

hi awful thread ... guys plz help me out too

i am a B.TECH.... in ELECTRONICS AND COMMUNICATION
from WEST BENGAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY -- THE LARGEST UNIVERSITY of west bengal , although not the best . yet imaintained a DGPA of 7.75

my marks in class 10 were 79% from WEST BENGAL BOARD OF SECONDARY EDUCATION
...................class 12 .........69% ...............................do...............................................

i am not looking for a technical job now since i want to finish my MBA first... ........

mean while i am working in a local sales firm .. as a sales supervisor and occasionally try my hand at whole sale marketing too ...

experts please air your opinions and views no matter how critical you get...

reason for looking for an MBA course === interest in business.
expectations from an MBA course =====enhancement in personality and gain of a flexiblity to skill sets and better understanding of the corporate world.

...............................do...............................................

i am not looking for a technical job now since i want to finish my MBA first... ........

Saurabh, this section is the MBA abroad section. I guess queries like yours should go in the Career Discussion section.

And I'm sure you meant "awesome thread"

And all this while I was wondering what was so "aweful" about this thread ? The OP's profile ?

Arun
Saurabh, this section is the MBA abroad section. I guess queries like yours should go in the Career Discussion section.

yes i meant AWESOME ... thread .... .... that was a typo .. from a fast typer like me .. sorry for the error ... i repeat .. AWESOME .. awesome .... AWESOME ...............................................

arrey yaar BHAVNAO KO SAMJHO ..
And all this while I was wondering what was so "aweful" about this thread ? The OP's profile ?

Arun

cool at least i made you laugh ..

and plz assess my profile here only if u dont mind ..
Hi guys....

I am in a big dilemma right now and would really really appreciate if someone could provide me some advice. Here is my profile:

Engg: IIT Bombay:2004: 8.4/10 with comparatively better grades towards end of the course
GMAT: 740 (V92, M96)
Workex: 18 months till date ( would be 26 m approx at start of fall term)
Professional Aims: to start as an associate in Fixed Income/ Derivatives firm and build career towards holding a mngmnt position in IB industry or Hedge funds.

Workex involves one year at an IT/Financial Consulting firm in Bangalore, India and six months in a Derivatives Research firm in Tokyo, Japan. Experience has been kinda OK/rich with client interaction, mentorship roles etc though not much of leadership roles. Also academics involve publication of two research papers in quantitative finance during my undergraduation.

decent ECs at college level. Sports etc...

I have started the application process but am a lil intimidated by the applicants with three-four yrs of exp. I know quality of workex counts but I am really not able to understand how do I evaluate the quality of my work experience. Should I put following points in my essay:

1. I recieved a really good appraisal at my previous company with me being in top 5%.
2. Working in tokyo is a different exp in itself: work ethics, culture, language difficulties etc... should I focus on how I managed to cope.??

Please help me out with these questions and also if nebody could suggest how aggressively I should go about apping because currently I am not fully confident and I am thinking of not applying in more than two three colleges. My colleges include Tuck, Wharton, Columbia and may be Chicago. Please suggest. How does my profile sound?

Thnx a lot

Rishabh.

dude, great profile, but like the gurus say, consider hanging around for a year so to make it to the best BSchools...but I must admit that I am really surprised on learning that you have written two research papers on finance during your UG...which stream was it anyways ?

i am a B.TECH.... in ELECTRONICS AND COMMUNICATION
from WEST BENGAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY -- THE LARGEST UNIVERSITY of west bengal , although not the best . yet imaintained a DGPA of 7.75

my marks in class 10 were 79% from WEST BENGAL BOARD OF SECONDARY EDUCATION
...................class 12 .........69% ...............................do...............................................

mean while i am working in a local sales firm .. as a sales supervisor and occasionally try my hand at whole sale marketing too ...

experts please air your opinions and views no matter how critical you get...

reason for looking for an MBA course === interest in business.
expectations from an MBA course =====enhancement in personality and gain of a flexiblity to skill sets and better understanding of the corporate world.

Bhaavno ko toh samajh gaye lekin profile ko nahi samjhe

Infact the OP had mentioned the question very vaguely but I had clue what he was aiming at. I don't even know what you are aiming at. Please be more clear

Arun
great thread.................
mujhe bhi thoda gyaan dijiye.........
My profile :
750 GMAT(dated august 29th 2005), 5/6 AWA , BEIT Mumbai (2005 passout), 3.8 GPA , college topper, student council member, college festival team member, 2 yrs part time as financial analyst with a reputed firm( along with engineering - unfortunately the realisation dawned upon me much too late.....was already into engineering then),regular blood donation at blood banks, multiple offers from reputed IT mncs.
I intend to work for 20 months and apply for fall 2008 (i will be giving a projection of 32 months full time(IT), 24 months part time(financial analyses) )...........how would you guys rate my chances at US top 20 ????
great thread.................
mujhe bhi thoda gyaan dijiye.........
My profile :
750 GMAT(dated august 29th 2005), 5/6 AWA , BEIT Mumbai (2005 passout), 3.8 GPA , college topper, student council member, college festival team member, 2 yrs part time as financial analyst with a reputed firm( along with engineering - unfortunately the realisation dawned upon me much too late.....was already into engineering then),regular blood donation at blood banks, multiple offers from reputed IT mncs.
I intend to work for 20 months and apply for fall 2008 (i will be giving a projection of 32 months full time(IT), 24 months part time(financial analyses) )...........how would you guys rate my chances at US top 20 ????

Fall 2008 right ? Try getting some stellar career progession on your resume. A 750 really does not make any sense unless you are able to back it up by professional accomplishments.

Arun

Hey guys...

I'm about to pass out..

BTech IIT Kharagpur....GPA 8.3/10. Gud extracurriculars, lotsa important/leadership posts held. GMAT 760

Job in financial servises MNC, mite look to move to a bigger firm dealing with Derivatives.

Also hope to have cleared CFA (not ICFAI) 2 levels by june 2008. Want to app for autumn 2009 to US top 10.

I wanna know wht else i need to do to make my profile look gud enuff for these schools.

Will be really appreciative if u can divert some gyan my way....

Chao