PI preparation: Academics: Civil Engineering

Hi Civil Engineers out here, With dedicated technical PI prep threads of different engineering streams up, here we go with the same for Civil Engineers. Share the core questions that you would have faced or came across while preparin…

Hi Civil Engineers out here,

With dedicated technical PI prep threads of different engineering streams up, here we go with the same for Civil Engineers.

Share the core questions that you would have faced or came across while preparing or appearing for B-School interviews.

Cheers!
@shadowwarrior We can use this thread to serve the purpose and Please share the word! Invite other Civil guys too! 😃 @mangooman I guess, you are from Civil too, if I am not wrong! :P

@vadeshikari @abfinney @civill @sakshi43 @divyanshdutt @Daddy.. @prash264 @tush1992 @saikatha
Okay, I think all of us are from Civil Engg. here. I request you all to share your insights towards PI prep for various MBA colleges as many of you are already in Jobs and must have faced various interviews at some point. Seniors are always very welcome for important and useful inputs ..and please, as we are a rare species, tag others too! :)

@hanushanand present sir :)

Good one @visionIIM-ACL ! I felt the need for this during my prep days, a LOT!

@ac1988 @shrinivassg Please share your knowledge on Practical applications and basics for Civil. I'll be at the receiving end! 😛

P.S.: I am from Structural Engineering, though! :)

Maine suna hai SOM, Thermodynamics, Fluids, ye sab hot topics hai.
But I guess that depends on what you blurt out. :P

@hanushanand structural engineering is most imp part of civil engineering........i am working in a company which based on transportation eng. project mgmt is also very important like PERT ,CPM.........

type of fluids and the equation of them :).......IS CODE of design...........

@ac1988 said:
@hanushanand structural engineering is most imp part of civil engineering........i am working in a company which based on transportation eng. project mgmt is also very important like PERT ,CPM.........
Sir aap acads apne job se related wale hi padhna.
Utna hi aayega. Mainly job se hi nichodenge imo.
@Omkarp said:
Maine suna hai SOM, Thermodynamics, Fluids, ye sab hot topics hai.But I guess that depends on what you blurt out.
SOM is a very important part of our syllabus! ..and I guess its very much common in Mech and Civil! Inputs!? :P
@ac1988 said:
Yeah, I know that but I am not very well equipped at it. PERT, CPM is also a very good thing. We can start with this concept only!
@Omkarp arey sir mat bolna.........apka bada fan hoon kdt k thread mein :):)

@hanushanand said:
SOM is a very important part of our syllabus! ..and I guess its very much common in Mech and Civil! Inputs!?
Main ECE wala hu. Meri knowledge SOM ke full form tak ki hi hai. :P
Jitna pata tha utna bataya. :P
@ac1988 said:
@Omkarp arey sir mat bolna.........apka bada fan hoon kdt k thread mein
:)
@ac1988 said:
PERT /CPM chalega ...
but structural engineering ..... 😞 :(
and I think IS codes are imp too

Civil Engineer..

I was asked the following questions for GIM GD/PI -->

1. Job Profile in Detail

2. Technology to reduce the setting time of cement

3. What will you do if you want to increase the span of slab?

4. What is Curing?

Was not grilled much (Lucky Me)

If you are working -->

Prepare thoroughly about your Job Profile. Anything technical related to your jobs.

If you are working in a company X, then be thorough about all the competitors of company X. e.g You are working for Essar Power. Then you should have idea about Reliance Power, Zindal Power, Lanco, Adani Power, etc.

Some important topics you should never leave - SOM Basics, Survey, Transportation, RCC Basics.

All the Best :)

PERT/CPM MATERIAL

glad to see this thread 😃

if they ask y mba after civil...is it ok to mention the slow growth in this field,,???grill hoga??

@rakesh.p.nair said:
if they ask y mba after civil...is it ok to mention the slow growth in this field,,???grill hoga??
I guess, saying something negative is not suggested to be good. They can quote that do IES and you will obviously have a very good growth if you are so very interested in the field, other than the slow growth thing. IMO you can say I aspire to be on the other side of the work or be the Managing person in my field only, with the amount of experience you must be having, rather than be an engg. or a field person.

P.S.: This is solely my opinion and I am a fresher. Seniors can give better advice.
@rakesh.p.nair said:
most probably......i think u need to talk abt interests for this question rather than growth/salary etc.....

i didn't attend many interviews as some people over here did...so consider me a fledgling in this..