Phoren B-school Assistance Desk

Hie guys, We are starting this thread to cater to any generic queries related to B-schools abroad. You will also have veterans answer to your queries out here on the thread. Also, merging all relevant threads with this one. * * Gā€¦

Hie guys,

We are starting this thread to cater to any generic queries related to B-schools abroad. You will also have veterans answer to your queries out here on the thread.

Also, merging all relevant threads with this one.

* Go through all the MBA related articles posted on Pagalguy

* Do not ask your chances at any B-School by giving out ur profile. If anyone can realistically give you an answer, they wouldnt be sitting here taking your query - they would be rather sitting on a sandy beach sipping ginger ale, making easy $$..

PS: Please guide newbies who start new threads for the same to this thread.

Hie guys,

We are starting this thread to cater to any generic queries related to B-schools abroad. You will also have veterans answer to your queries out here on the thread.

Also, merging all relevant threads with this one.

PS: Please guide newbies who start new threads for the same to this thread.

I am a final yr student got into Syntel Inc.I am going to take GMAT this December(2006).
Is it rite to plan for Fall 2008 or more work ex required?
Can u plz tell me the minimum work ex is for US MBA is 2 yrs.But is it before entering the college or before filling the application form??
I am a final yr student got into Syntel Inc.I am going to take GMAT this December(2006).
Is it rite to plan for Fall 2008 or more work ex required?
Can u plz tell me the minimum work ex is for US MBA is 2 yrs.But is it before entering the college or before filling the application form??

1)
I have clearly mentioned some of the characteristics for doing an MBA abroad. No, ur 6 months wont be sufficient! Minimum, 3-5 years of experience is reqd to get sufficient value of an MBA.

2) All work ex will be considered at the time u start ur b-school.
1) Read my articles on Pagalguy.com. The list of articles are available at - http://simba.pagalguy.com/articles/
I have clearly mentioned some of the characteristics for doing an MBA abroad. No, ur 6 months wont be sufficient! Minimum, 3-5 years of experience is reqd to get sufficient value of an MBA.

2) All work ex will be considered at the time u start ur b-school.

hi,
i m also taking up GMAT this year in july. i have 1.8 yrs work ex till now at infy. will most probabaly apply to NUS , ISB this year and will apply to US B schools next year when i'll have 3.5 years work ex. will really need help from u guys here.
i m an electrical engg from Punjab Engg College, chandigarh with 70%. regarding extra curr. i was the placemnet secretar of my college and also the class representative of my branch. also took part in some technical paper presentations.
hey, simba it will be really helpful if u could evaluate my profile. i m really interested in appying to top 15 US B-schools and getting thru.
how can i increase my extra curr in my job? some people asked me to join some community service. ..
hi,
i m also taking up GMAT this year in july. i have 1.8 yrs work ex till now at infy. will most probabaly apply to NUS , ISB this year and will apply to US B schools next year when i'll have 3.5 years work ex. will really need help from u guys here.
i m an electrical engg from Punjab Engg College, chandigarh with 70%. regarding extra curr. i was the placemnet secretar of my college and also the class representative of my branch. also took part in some technical paper presentations.
hey, simba it will be really helpful if u could evaluate my profile. i m really interested in appying to top 15 US B-schools and getting thru.
how can i increase my extra curr in my job? some people asked me to join some community service. ..

Hi Ankush

look around in the forum. most of the info you need and prob more that that is available. search around.
extra-curr wud require sum other things as well.
placement secretary of the coll? now why dont i remember your being so? ;-)
Cheers
Kunal

u r kunal nagpal from civil branc right??

ankush_infy Says
u r kunal nagpal from civil branc right??

Yup.
pure, still looking for a gf šŸ˜‰ , still no-nonsense, loads of extra punch, GMAT tuned Kunal from PEC.

Cheers
Hi Ankush

look around in the forum. most of the info you need and prob more that that is available. search around.
extra-curr wud require sum other things as well.
placement secretary of the coll? now why dont i remember your being so? ;-)
Cheers
Kunal

Yup. He said the stuff I would have! Thanks šŸ˜ƒ
Simba Says
Yup. He said the stuff I would have! Thanks :)

hey, i searched the forums and i have collected a lot of info from the forums. thanks. but i have still to go thru ur articles on international MBA though went thru the ones which u have written about ur B school tenure. they r really gr8
ankush_infy Says
hey, i searched the forums and i have collected a lot of info from the forums. thanks. but i have still to go thru ur articles on international MBA though went thru the ones which u have written about ur B school tenure. they r really gr8

LOL, first lesson... u are looking at admissions... LOL, read about them first!! Just kidding... But seriously, U need to go thro all the articles before u ask any questions!

Hey I will modify Monil's post above!! šŸ˜ƒ
Simba Says
Hey I will modify Monil's post above!! :)

Gr8!
Now we need to make the first post sticky, how do we do that?! :wink:

Hi All,

I am highly confused as all other aspirants out there.

My prior acads are not at all extra ordinary (revolve around 60% in 10th and 12th, 53% in grads). Presently pursuing PG diploma in Finance from Rajasthan university(expecting something around 55 types).

Whenever I check websites of universities and profiles of students, I get confused; looking at there age(average is 29,I m 21),looking at there experience(average is 5 years,Right now I have just 1 year exp and may be I ll have 2.5 at the time of admission).

Now I have few questions in my mind

1) What if I go for some good school in India for MBA thru CAT then maybe after some years of exp, I apply to unis abroad.

2) Will unis abroad (esp US) accept this as I am obviously not targeting top 25.

3) Is it good idea to start preparing for GMAT and just keep on working because it will take another year or so to get admission. I will be able to secure admission in good universities with this profile.

4)What should be the target score for GMAT if I go after MBA.

5)My target is 25-50 in US or 10-15 in UK or top 5 in Aus, is it possible. What shld be the ideal score for GMAT?

Please reply as this can be very crucial for me. You all can understand this very well.

Thanks and Regards

Hi

For the preperation of SFP we need to show 1st year expenses in liquid and acess to second year expenses which may be in the form of fixed assets.

Most of my savings are in the form of Mutual Funds and Shares. Can this be shown in the SFP.

Regards

akshat

Hi All,

My prior acads are not at all extra ordinary (revolve around 60% in 10th and 12th, 53% in grads). Presently pursuing PG diploma in Finance from Rajasthan university(expecting something around 55 types).

Whenever I check websites of universities and profiles of students, I get confused; looking at there age(average is 29,I m 21),looking at there experience(average is 5 years,Right now I have just 1 year exp and may be I ll have 2.5 at the time of admission).

1) What if I go for some good school in India for MBA thru CAT then maybe after some years of exp, I apply to unis abroad.

2) Will unis abroad (esp US) accept this as I am obviously not targeting top 25.

Many US schools do not allow a second MBA degree ie if you already have a MBA degree you may not be eligible for some of them. If u are really targetting good b-schools in India, you might not need a second MBA degree from US. An academic course is never a subsitute for work ex.
kunjai| Says
3) Is it good idea to start preparing for GMAT and just keep on working because it will take another year or so to get admission. I will be able to secure admission in good universities with this profile.

GMAT scores are valid for 5 years and hence it may be a good idea to give them when you are in college as mostly it is difficult to find time for preperation while you are working. If your acads are a problem try working for a Good GMAT score to compensate for the same. If you have a good work ex and co-curricular activities that would help you much more than anything. Most b schools like a balanced profile and good leadership and team skills, if you stories to demostrate that you would sail through even with low acads.
kunjai Says

Target scores before and after MBA would not matter much. If you have significant quality work ex and community activities, you might get a relaxation in GMAT scores but definately not because of a MBA degree
|kunjai Says
5)My target is 25-50 in US or 10-15 in UK or top 5 in Aus, is it possible. What shld be the ideal score for GMAT?

There is nothing of sort of a target score as there are applicants with 750+ GMAT who are unable to secure admission. though 700+ is considered respectable.

A word of caution; securing a job in below 20 rank US b-schools and is really difficult. There are loads of indian students who realize their mistake after joining in such institutes. Do not just choose a lower rank univ just because you feel that you may not be able to compete with others. Instead set a goal and try to work out a strategy to achieve that goal. If you are in a position to finance your education and interested in a MBA abroad for international experience only then go for these institutes, otherwise it would be a highly risky situation. Also do remember that Job permits are a bit difficult in europe.

Would suggest that you do a sufficient research on whether an international MBA suits your career plans. Read through the tons of material on internet and elsewhere. (there is plent of info available even on PG). Then decide suitable and work for the same.

Regards

Akshat

Hi folks,

I had posted this in another thread but it was closed. So i am pasting it here expecting replies from the likes of PG, Simba, senapati, poseidon etc....

here it goes....

Hi friends,

I have been admitted to Olin school of business, washington univ in St louis and Babson university.

I request stalwarts to help me decide which univ to choose as there isnt much difference in the rankings (BW rankings).

My profile

wrk ex - 2 yrs

Industry -- IT-Banking

GMAT -- 710

Goals -- Financial Consulting (Strategy).

After my bit of R&D;, this what I have concluded.

Washington - Olin

Pros

1. Better known school for finance and consulting.
2. Small class size of arnd 140. (Biggest attraction for me as i am a career switcher hence personal access is imperative).
3. No major schools in and arnd the location (St Louis) and decent cluster of companies. So decent chances of local placements.

Cons

1. $ 90 k fees for two years. (Biggest worry factor.)
2. No scholarship.
3. Loan given by the univ is $15k/yr (that too will be confirmed after I join the program.)
4. Huge debt burden after grad.

Babson Univ

Pros

1. $34000 scholarship for the first year (Biggest attraction for me).
Have no idea abt aid for 2nd yr as I have yet to negotiate with the school.

2. Lesser Debt burden after graduation.

3. Location - Boston (bit expensive but more job prospects).

4. Has the brand recognition but because of its entrepreneurial program.

Cons

1. Again Location. With schools like Harvard, MIT, BU etc in the locality, job search will be tougher.

2. I am not sure about its performance in finance and consulting specializations.

3. Class size of 350 (Kinda puts me off)

Its the classic case of choosing between higher ranked univ with no scholarship and lower ranked one with hefty scholarship. Had it been 10 -12 grands, I'd have ignored. But 34k for the 1st year makes me consider it seriously.

I need suggestions regarding the choice of school. PG, Senapati, Poseidon n other champs, Please provide inputs and info you have which can help clear the air of confusion and take the right decision.

Regards,
GM

Hi All,

Please reply as this can be very crucial for me. You all can understand this very well.

Thanks and Regards

1) Sure u can do it. But be aware some of the TOP univs abroad do not accept prior MBA.

2) Oh, if not top 25, I guess they will. You will have to do ur own research!

3) What? I thot u will do ur MBA abroad after a few years! ??: So, why are u starting to study now?

4) Hmm.. something above 700 is decent. But a higher score doesnt hurt

5) Read the first post again, esp the blue high lighted one

Simbaaaaaa
Hi

For the preperation of SFP we need to show 1st year expenses in liquid and acess to second year expenses which may be in the form of fixed assets.

Most of my savings are in the form of Mutual Funds and Shares. Can this be shown in the SFP.

Regards

akshat

SFP???? :neutral:

Its the classic case of choosing between higher ranked univ with no scholarship and lower ranked one with hefty scholarship. Had it been 10 -12 grands, I'd have ignored. But 34k for the 1st year makes me consider it seriously.

See which of the programs fit your future plans... in terms of placement, network, brand value etc etc. Go to a place where you think you will grow. As I dont know much about either of the 2 places, I would not be a right person to comment. But if YOU are worried about $ for 2 yrs, it will make sense to go for one with scholarship!

Simbaaaa

Hey guys I am working in Cummins India Ltd. I am planning for an MBA abroad by aug 2007. Pen down your experiences and also let me know any stuff which i need to know. thanks