Pgsm Iimb

Hello everyone! Howr u all? I’m back to the forum after some 3-4 months. I could c lots of changes! I 'm really proud of this growth! coming to the topic… howz the part time course (PGSM) at IIMB? I welcome ur comments on…

Hello everyone!

Howr u all? I'm back to the forum after some 3-4 months. I could c lots of
changes! I 'm really proud of this growth!

coming to the topic......

howz the part time course (PGSM) at IIMB? I welcome ur comments on.....

i. its recognition in the industry
ii. does the course quality match other full time courses from top IIMs
iii. will it really help people with good experience to climb up the
organisation ladder
iv. the level of difficulty in getting admission

Hello Sivarka!

Welcome back from the "sabbatical" from PG forum! :)

Surprised to see someone mentioning about PGSM too! I thought most ppl weren't aware of it!! 😃

Well anyway wanted to make some points about PGSM .....

1.) Coming to "awareness" point of you...from what I have heard from ppl I know who have done/doing it.. most ppl vouch for the same rigourness of the full time programme. (My friend who sat for the interview was told the same by the interviewing panel). And this being offered by IIM-B itself - you can be sure that it *WILL* be of good value. IT biggies like Infy, Wipro, SAS, Motorola etc have "sponsored" seats in them - so you gauge the recognition from that. But I dont know if you get to be the same kind of *HOT* property like a full time student.

2.) Its the only part-time PG programme from any IIM that is a "Diploma"...all others if you check are Post Graduate Certificates.. (Like the onez from IIM-K, IIM-C etc). So you can call yourself a PG (I meant post-graduate ) after this.

3.) Well going up ladder..this course can give you a heads up..but it is been available only for past 2-4 years..so havent seen much of live examples...but only guy in my company who finished it last year is a manager here (dont know if he was aleady b4 he joined the course). IIM-B is actually into brand building for this course recently. So you might never know...

4.) Difficulty part- they have very much CAT-like paper (it happenz in april 1st week every year)....100 questions in 2 hrs! (yep that way its more easier than CAT). You have 3 sections (RC/Quant/DI)...and clearing part...since you compete with only ppl in & around B'lore..you stand better chance than at CAT!

regards,
Praveen

Thanks a lot kumar!

Can anyone throw light abt the kind of sal one can expect after doing PGSM. Is ther anyone on board who's doing PGSM or can ask ask someone who's doing PGSM to give highlights of the course.

1. What is the criteria in wipro/oracle/sasken to sponsor their employees for this course & do they have contract/ terms?
2. How good is it attend this course than doing a 2 yr PGPM in IT-systems?
3. Quality of current class
4. Current post PGSM Sal statistics
5. Anyother info

ashish

I think you are getting something wrong here. The PGSM degree is not for people who want jobs. It is for people who want job change/shifts/growth etc. Hence guaging the "average salary" thingy won't be possible.

I feel you should re-read what PGSM actually is. It is equivalent of an MBA but not a substitute for a full-time course.

HTH,

Arun

2. How good is it attend this course than doing a 2 yr PGPM in IT-systems?
3. Quality of current class

as good as anyother class/course in IIM's

4. Current post PGSM Sal statistics

1. it's not 100% sure that u get a salary hike after this course.
2. most of my classmates already get a huge paypackage. the motive
of everyone here is to get an MBA and use the learnings for career development.

5. Anyother info

This course if for you if...
->you are already in software, put up at bangalore and wish to continue in the industry
->u wish to get the same rigour of PGP but continue working
->u want to learn something from some of the best faculties in the country
->u are ready kill urself for 30 months managing work+family+schooling
->u want the IIMB brand name

This course is not for you if ...
->u want to change the industry after MBA from s/w.
->u want to njoy life being in s/w
->u want to njoy the beauty of IIMB Campus ( i mean, u need to be a hostelier to njoy the lush green campus)