PGDCM @ IIM Calcutta Application

Have you applied for the PGDCM program at IIM Calcutta? If you have circled against PGDCM in your CAT application form, further to it you need to apply to the program by filling up the form and mailing it along with a Demand Draft of Rs. 600 to …

Have you applied for the PGDCM program at IIM Calcutta?
If you have circled against PGDCM in your CAT application form, further to it you need to apply to the program by filling up the form and mailing it along with a Demand Draft of Rs. 600 to the admissions office.

The application form has been attached with this post and can further be accessed at
http://www.iimcal.ac.in/admissions/PGDCM%20Application%20Form2005.pdf

The form duly filled-in must be sent to Admissions Office with Demand Draft for Rs. 600/- in favour of 'Indian Institute of Management Calcutta', payable in Kolkata, so as to reach latest by November 18, 2005

PGDCM along with PGDM are the MBA equivalent programs that come under the Post Graduate Programs at IIMC.

If you have any further queries about the PGDCM program or IIM Calcutta in general please feel free to post them on this thread. We shall be glad to help you.

Kiren Tanna
PGP1 - PGDCM
IIM Calcutta

~Best of luck to all preparing for CAT !

Hi Kiren

I have sent the DD to Admissions office . They havent sent me any postal acknowledgement . I have received an email instead. Is that sufficient ?

I also had a few queries regarding the course :

A)What are the cut - off percentiles ? Is there a different basis for shortlisting candidates vis-a-vis the PGDM program ?
B)Are there any candidates with a non-mathematical background in graduation currently pursuing the course ?
C)Does it make sense for someone who does not have a background in mathematics at the graduation level to apply for the program ?

Thanx a ton
Venkatesh

Hi Venkatesh!

First of all, a little about me. Having done my schooling from DPS, RK Puram; I compeleted my graduation from Kirori Mal College (Delhi University). After that worked for 2 years in Infosys, Bangalore before reaching here in PGDCM course @ IIM Calcutta.

Now coming to your questions:

a) What are the cut - off percentiles ? Is there a different basis for shortlisting candidates vis-a-vis the PGDM program ?
Ans: The cut off percentiles will be competetive with the PGDM course. The cut offs, to my knowledge, arent really different from the PGDM course.

b) Are there any candidates with a non-mathematical background in graduation currently pursuing the course ?
Ans: Yes there are. But I guess it would be a lot more comfortable for you if you were comfortable with numbers. And I tell you that as a prospective student to IIMC. NOT PGDCM in particular.
Don't worry, you dont have to be a quant stud but dont run away a mile if you hear the word Maths ..

c) Does it make sense for someone who does not have a background in mathematics at the graduation level to apply for the program ?
Ans: As I said Venkatesh, there is a fair amount of maths here. But 99% are able to cope with it. You might have to give some extra time to it. That's all. And dont worry there usually are people here with your profile every year in our batch. :)

~Put Fight!
Ritesh Kapur
PGDCM - PGP 1

p.s: An e-mail acknowledgement should be sufficient.

Hi Venkatesh!

First of all, a little about me. Having done my schooling from DPS, RK Puram; I compeleted my graduation from Kirori Mal College (Delhi University). After that worked for 2 years in Infosys, Bangalore before reaching here in PGDCM course @ IIM Calcutta.

Hi
I'd like to know how different a PGDCM is from a PGDM at IIMC... will the PGDCM omit any of the courses that form the PGDM curriculum, or any toher such changes.... I am not particularly oriented toward math or quant though i generally manage to clear cutoffs comfortably... I'd like to know how much of quant orientation do u actually need for a PGDCM or even for a PGDM in Cal (as far as I've found out, Cal supposedly gives a lot of weightage to Quant...)
Ciao
RAvi

Hi Ravi!

I quite understand your anxiety over the differences you might think that PGDCM course has with the PGDM course. Infact an year back I had almost the same worries. It's important that you should bring this up because I think your question is also relevant to the many others who might have the same doubt.

In short: There is NO difference in the course content save for an extra system focus. And even these courses are moving away from a technical basis to a deliberate attempt to focus on developing the thought processes.
For instance, in first semester the PGDCM course had Data structures, Algorithms and 4 Generationa Language. But apart from a technical degreee where you are supposed to mug up some algo, here you will just be quizzed on conceptual questions. The PGDM course on the other hand had IEPH (Indian Economic Political History) course to contend with ;).

Also, you must note that save for 1 or 2 courses a sem which might be different, the PGDCM course is same in content/structure/placements etc. with the PGDM course.

Plus its a lot of fun !!

Regarding your query on the importance of Quant. As I noted in my previous post, I believe that to be true. You need to be comfortable with numbers. But NOT a genius or anything (ofcourse being a genius helps 😉 ).

98tillIdie

Umm .. have you checked http://www.iimcal.ac.in/index.asp ? I mean there are a few links in the What's New section which I think are what you are looking for.

Rgds
Ritesh

Hi Ritesh,
I have applied for the PGDCM programme.What sort of preparation is needed for the aptitude test in mathematcis(ATM)?When should I start preparing and how much do I need to prepare?
Akshat Kumar
PS:It's good to see that Kiren and you have taken the initiative in starting this thread.There was no proper thread for IIMC PGDCM queries(for 2006) .

Hi Akshat!

The Aptitude Test in Maths would be fairly simple.
haa haa!

Sorry. The reason for that laugh was that 1 year back, I would find any senior (who was already in the B School) saying that an exam would be 'fairly simple' highly frustrating! I used to think,'..ofcourse you'll find it simple. You are THERE !!'.

But objectively speaking, ATM will be easier than CAT quant. It will be around (if I remember correctly) 60 questions to be attempted in 60 minutes. I think there is -ve marking, but I'm not sure. I'm sure all this info will be in the prospectus yaara.
I think glancing over Tyra should be beneficial. It helped me. I hope it helps you too.

And dont worry too much abt ATM Akshat. The ATM is simpler than CAT Quant.

Rgds
Ritesh Kapur

Hi Kiren

I have sent the DD to Admissions office . They havent sent me any postal acknowledgement . I have received an email instead. Is that sufficient ?

I also had a few queries regarding the course :

A)What are the cut - off percentiles ? Is there a different basis for shortlisting candidates vis-a-vis the PGDM program ?
B)Are there any candidates with a non-mathematical background in graduation currently pursuing the course ?
C)Does it make sense for someone who does not have a background in mathematics at the graduation level to apply for the program ?

Thanx a ton
Venkatesh

Exams are just over - so overslept

To answer ur query

The fact that u have recd an email means that ur application has been received and processed. u shd be getting the postal acknowledgement soon which would also contain sample questions to the ATM.

Cutoffs are hte same for PGDM and PGDCM, but the selection process for PGDCM includes the ATM.

There are candidates from all streams, be it engineering, sciences, commerce or humanities. There is such a variety of courses here that having specialization in any field is neither an advantage nor a disadvantage.

Regarding mathematics, it is helpful if u r good at it.
But there is no such thing were PGDCM students have more mathematics courses. Those courses are the same as that for the PGDM guys. u will have quite advanced level of statistical stuff in all management institutes (more so at IIMC).

~Kiren
hi,

i havent even received an email acknowledging the receipt of the pgdcm form along with the draft ! somebody told me that its possible to see it on the site whether one's form has been accepted.....but i found no such link............is there any?!!!

U shd be receiving the reply soon.

But you can contact admissions at +91-33-24679178 to make sure of that.

~Kiren
Hi Ritesh,
I have applied for the PGDCM programme.What sort of preparation is needed for the aptitude test in mathematcis(ATM)?When should I start preparing and how much do I need to prepare?
Akshat Kumar
PS:It's good to see that you have taken the initiative in starting this thread.There was no proper thread for IIMC PGDCM queries(for 2006) .

The difficulty level of ATM shall be pretty much the same as CAT quant.
only that the range of topics will include ur standard 12th stuff like matrices, limits, derivatives etc.

but its really simple . U need to prepare for around a week before the exams though i have seen friends who could crack the test even withut any prep !!. But dont think about the exam just yet as there is some time for it to go (it will be held only after the interview calls are out). concentrate only on cat at the moment.

P.S.
And just to dispel the myth - PGDCM is not specifically quant focused. The quant courses that you take are the same as those for PGDM. The advantage of the ATM is that you are automatically exempt from taking a qualifying math course in the 1st term.

More querys are invited.

~Kiren
Hi Gurus,
I have a serious dbt. I had not darkened the PGDCM portion of IIM C in the CAF Form.
Can I still apply to the program?
I sent an email to IIM C, no avail till date.
Please help.
Thx,
Raiden
Hi Ravi!

I
In short: There is NO difference in the course content save for an extra system focus. And even these courses are moving away from a technical basis to a deliberate attempt to focus on developing the thought processes. \
Regarding your query on the importance of Quant. As I noted in my previous post, I believe that to be true. You need to be comfortable with numbers. But NOT a genius or Anything (ofcourse being a genius helps 😉 ).

98tillIdie

Umm .. have you checked http://www.iimcal.ac.in/index.asp ? I mean there are a few links in the What's New section which I think are what you are looking for.

Rgds
Ritesh

Hi
Thx a lot ... am still in a dilemma as to whether I shud apply for it or not, but all that u said sure makes the picture a lot clearer.. :)
Ravi

HI

Can u put some light on the kind of placements PGDCM ppl get ?
Is it at par with the PGDM course ?

Hi Gurus,
I have a serious dbt. I had not darkened the PGDCM portion of IIM C in the CAF Form.
Can I still apply to the program?
I sent an email to IIM C, no avail till date.
Please help.
Thx,
Raiden

I dont think that would be possible.

But I will still confirm with the admissions office and let you know

Hi

I have not received any e-mail or postal acknowledgement from IIM-CAL for the PGDCM course, though I had sent the application two weeks back...
Does it mean that my form hasn't reached there?

IIM C PGDCM guys, can you please help on the below questions...
1. What's the batch size and approx calls to selection ratio?
2. How's placement for PGDCM when compared to PGPM?
3. What is the kind of job profile for students of PGDCM?
Hi

I have not received any e-mail or postal acknowledgement from IIM-CAL for the PGDCM course, though I had sent the application two weeks back...
Does it mean that my form hasn't reached there?

Please contact admissions at +91-33-24679178 to get the status.
IIM C PGDCM guys, can you please help on the below questions...
1. What's the batch size and approx calls to selection ratio?
2. How's placement for PGDCM when compared to PGPM?
3. What is the kind of job profile for students of PGDCM?

1. The batch size of IIMC is around 250 of which 60 are PGDCM students. There are approx interview 300 calls given of which 60 finally take up the course.

2. There is no difference in the placements of the PGDCM and PGDM. There is no rule where a company gives preference to PGDM guys for fin and PGDCM guys for sys or any similar thing.

The placements depend more on the inividual. What IIMC does is open new opportunities for you which dont exist otherwise. It is left upto the individual then.
PGDCM students have gotten into Ibanks, Consults and Marketing companies just as PGDM guys have got into sys companies.

3. As the jobs are in all fields of management there is no specific job profile.

Any further queries are welcome

Kiren

Hi Kiren/Ritesh,
What sort of a percentile would be needed in Quant for getting a GD/PI call for PGDCM?I know that it will differ for different students depending on work ex, acads etc. but even a general idea would help.
Also, I have heard that there is a common GD/PI for people who have been shortlisted for both the courses - PGDM and PGDCM.
One more thing - the ATM sample paper will be sent only to the candidates shortlisted for the GD/PI.So I guess there is no point in bothering about it at the moment.

Akshat Kumar