personality traits for various post-MBA careers

Hi, I am a new member to this forum and this is my first post. I appreciate all the help the members of this community extend each other. I does make life a little easier. I hope to contribute and add value in whatever way I can. I have …

Hi,

I am a new member to this forum and this is my first post. I appreciate all the help the members of this community extend each other. I does make life a little easier. I hope to contribute and add value in whatever way I can.

I have just given my GMAT (scored 730) and I have about 4 years of work experience on the technology side of Investment banking.

I am not sure what I want to do post-MBA but I do know that I dont want to be in technology. I am looking at various career options that is of interest to me and which suit my skillset. That is when I came across a dillema of not know what skills are required for excelling in various industries.

By skills, I do not mean acquired skills like knowledge of accounting. What I am looking for are personality traits that would allow you to excel in your chosen domain.

For e.g,
I am detailing out some of the traits that I think are essential for doing well. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Finance - Apart from good analytical skills (good in maths?), i think you would need to have attention to details, a good sense of numbers (not the same as good in algebra and maths), aggressive(especially if you are looking at the trading side of banking)

Marketing - a common misconception is that you would need to be a smooth talker and an extrovert to excel in marketing. I dont think that is correct. Can someone please explain what traits are essential to do well in marketing? I think traits like interest in psychology, consumer behaviour, group behaviour would position you well in marketing. I think this is where I want to go, but I need to research this further.

Consulting - ?

I would request members on this forum, especially those who have already done their MBAs ,to post their view on this for the benifit of us newbies. :)

Thanks

Hi Oh_mann, congrats for your great score.
a vault guide throws similar light on the diverse career opportunites MBAs have after graduation
and what personality traits are important to succeed there. Check below:
http://www.vault.com/dlcenter/downloads/MBABibleComplete.pdf

Sir Alex,

Thank you for your reply. The vault guide does help a lot.

Are you planning to apply to b-schools this year?

Hi Oh_maan,

In your post, you left Consulting with a question mark. So adding some traits for that career option.

Consulting skills: People management, negotiation skills, convincing ability, good perception of time and space (estimation skills), resource management, a flair for multi-tasking, juggling multiple teams/projects/clients, should enjoy (or at least not hate) travel.