people at IIM K AN D I AND TRYING AGAIN

anyone in pagalguy in my category . me in iim k

anyone in pagalguy in my category .
me in iim k

You mean you're ACTUALLY preparing for CAT with all that academic rigour at IIM-K??

Hey Dude
I think it's really amazing that you are prep again even being where are you right now. I think you should give a second thought to it. I am saying this because that in you career after you pass out from the b school, the name will play a role only for the 1st year. However after that it's your performance in the organization which will matter. I think you should keep this enthusiasm for appearing for CAT again for your tenure at IIMK and it will also help you after you pass out from it. Just think abt it.......

Cheers
Hitesh

Hats off to you !!!!!!!!! :wow:

But why would anyone in IIMK or IIMI try again ? In one of the best Bschools you should try to perform well there and later try and go for some degree abroad. Isnt it a better idea? If you can manage then its cool

I would like to know how many in IIMK and IIMI are preparing again 😃

anyone in pagalguy in my category .
me in iim k

Is it not someone's personal decision. Why start new threads for such topics. what impression is it giving, that ppl at IIM K and I are not satisfied and therefore taking CAT again.

Dont find any sense at all of starting this thread. Feel like, one's personal decision and choice shud neither confuse already confused first timers nor shud it tarnish the image of any institute.

Rest u ppl n mods are intelligent enough to decide.

Rgds,
Amit

I too second everone's opinion here . There is not much of diff b/n K and A.

Infact K has even managed to grab some of the best offers last year .

Infact one guy from my place , Cochin , ditched a 16 lakhs p.a to start his own venture in vegetable exports domain - some thing related to banana based products .

There were many features about these fellas , so just be happy at K.

Its beatiful place as well , dubbed as "Gods Own Country" , I am sure you will have loads of fun in ur IIM K life.

Regards ,

nishant

You must be addicted to the CAT. Thats all I have to say. Unless you are morbidly obsessive about rankings(!!) and the pay packet(which is not substantially different again,unless you shall settle for nothing less than goldman sachs or something), I'd consider it not worth my while to divert attention from the PGP program towards CAT. However, thats strictly my personal opinion. All the best in whatever you choose to do.

man.....i bow to u..
i seriously wud not be able to put in the effort even if i wanted to
and i dnt think that it matters too much as long as u have the IIM brand..
personal opinion

its really a bold desicion but wont it affect the performance @ IIMK...which surely attratcs some best brains in the country...
its a small class @IIMK...y not focus on MBA n put an exceptional performance in 1st year...
i feel its like appearing GMAT again after getting 790!!
PS: my personal opinion...afteralll its ur desicion

well i will agree wit al_capone ......... it does makes sense 2 take cat again ........ may b this shows his passion ........ n once a person has prepared for cat n gotta 99+%ile ......... i dunt think theres much 2 prepare ..... juz join a test series n b regular wid dat ..... dats it ...... may b an hour a day ........

zero_in_on_me Says
well i will agree wit al_capone ......... it does makes sense 2 take cat again ........ may b this shows his passion ........ n once a person has prepared for cat n gotta 99+%ile ......... i dunt think theres much 2 prepare ..... juz join a test series n b regular wid dat ..... dats it ...... may b an hour a day ........

I dont agree with u.A 99%ler cant be expected to get 99% again.One thing is that u need a lot of luck in CAT. And if u are not in touch with CAT for 4-5 months,U will have to develop ur speed from scratch although u may still have ur concepts intact.
Its like saying that ' i got a very good rank in Mock CAT and so i should crack CAT' .What happens on day of CAT can never be predicted.For example many people who got through CAT 2003 may not have cleared CAT2004.So taking the risk of writing CAT again when already into an IIM is not worth it.It may severely jeopardize ur present studies, especially with the rigours that is normally associated with the IIMs.And I guess IIMs may prefer a fresher or a working person rather than a person with a year's experience in IIMs .Would the person be able to justify his decision of writing CAT again in the interview?
So i would suggest al_capone to continue with IIMI.
I too second everone's opinion here . There is not much of diff b/n K and A.

Infact K has even managed to grab some of the best offers last year .

Infact one guy from my place , Cochin , ditched a 16 lakhs p.a to start his own venture in vegetable exports domain - some thing related to banana based products .

There were many features about these fellas , so just be happy at K.

Its beatiful place as well , dubbed as "Gods Own Country" , I am sure you will have loads of fun in ur IIM K life.

Regards ,

nishant

Nishant the guy you are referring to would be Krishnaswamy... well that figure was kind of inflated. His banana business went bust n he's since gone off to the US after working at TIME all this time.

Anyways back to the the matter at hand... I think it is ridiculously foolish to join a B-school and then try to write an exam again.
Waste of time, money and sanity.

All the best if you want to go through with it though.

Threads are like infy bulletin boards - they start somewhere and end up somewhere else! 😃 Im sure capone was looking out for other PGites who are in the sameboat as he is - guys who have got into IIM I/K but who want something more - but found all of us pouring out gyaan on whether he's doing the right thing or not! In the spirit of this thread, let me put in my 2 cents!!

It may seem strange to many of us, but there are lots of folks in B schools who write CAT again. All said and done, there is quite a difference between an IIM I/K or an A/B/C - in terms of the brand value and recognition that these institutes have - and all said and done, a substantial part of the MBA's value is brand and placements.

Having said that, my personal opinion is that it makes no sense to get into an B school and try to jump ship in a year. The merit of a B school differs from candidate to candidate - some think of TAPMI or MDI as dream schools, others may be fixated on A/B/C - but I think one must not settle for anything lesser than acceptable to himself/herself. If a person gets into XYZ and contemplates getting out of it in a year, why did that person have to waste 1 precious year of his/her life in the first place?! Having done just that - turn down a B school admit this year to give CAT a second shot - I firmly stand by what I said!

Capone, I didn't write this post to be sanctimonious or preacy w.r.t your situation - im just voicing my opinion on the general topic on this thread. All the best and hope you do what you set out to do - whatever that may be!

dude

it is certainly a bold decision. so think abt the pros n cons again . there is certainly a big differene b/w the iim a n k. but u need to realise tht one bad day can screw ur whole year. i mean, one poor day on cat exam or interview can leave u disgusted. i had a senior last year who did not join IIM K n decided to give cat again. he finally got thru L. but one thing fr sure. there wud be a lot of pressure during the first year. so it wud be tough fr u.

dont feel u r alone in takin this risk. my younger brother left IIM I this year to go fr job . he is planning to work fr 2 yrs before doing an mba.

so weigh ur options carefully. all the best

amit

It seems like the guy has alerady made up his mind.

First of all congratulations for getting through IIMK, and all the best for CAT 2K5.
Hope you get what you want out of it this time