PaGaLGuY.com - Tie Up with a news channel in fray : Suggestions Invited

Allo junta… It seems that we may tie up with a news channel soon. I am going insane thinking about what we can offer them and how we can utilise this tie up for our users. This is something which I have come up with , and will need mo…

Yes Its a great idea!
But must point out that the target market is very very small and most of them have very little incomes
Also if the membership is broadened by covering other areas then the whole site may lose its zing...

This site could be a very good feedback zone for the concerned channel and you could remind them that the members of this site though having empty pockets currently could be rather wealthy (and hence useful:wink:) after a few years...

Obviously remember to make sure the site is ready to handle the heavily random traffic that will move here trying to figure out what this is... I would say that could be really detrimental unless taken care of... Because a slow site would invariably turn many willing members...

Other than that remind them the responses here could be very stimulating in intellectual content in the midst of pathetic responses too So this could help them in the long run...

Best of Luck

K

Hey Rohit, I was thinking about something like this since last few days but on a slightly different line and a larger scale.
Launching a new portal or the existing pg portal on the lines of sify, indiatimes and rediff. It can start initially only with news by tying up with some news agencies and might be create some more niches later on.
I very much think Indians can absorb a few more such portals as they move ahead and its big business.
This would require a lot more branding and marketing than PG does as of now and obviously a lot of capital about which I don't have any idea as to how much is available.

---Asif

Allo junta....

It seems that we may tie up with a news channel soon. I am going insane thinking about what we can offer them and how we can utilise this tie up for our users.

This is something which I have come up with , and will need more suggestions and ideas from our junta.

1> We can have a thread/section where news/events/stories of the channel wil be discussed and can give feedback to their programmes.

2> We can be a very good medium for market research and polls.

This is just a brief overview. Put forth your ideas as what we can deliver to this news channel and lets see what we have to offer.

BRAINSTORM guys!!!! We need to give them a proposal soon!!!

Enjoy
Rohit

Interesting Development 😃 but for the suggestions to pour in shouldnt we know the domain of operation of the target news channel eg: business, general etc

Will pour in my thoughts soon

Business Channels would be more likely partners..
As most such channels have section devoted to CAT anywayz, so probably PG can offer stories, articles.. and same way PG can carry a section devoted to top stories from that channel..

Yea! right.... it can come up with lotsa news stuff regd the latest happenings in the world, related to mgmt.... Insight of B-schools...... current events....

There could be a seperate GK section in which viewers could take active part... either through website or through hotline sms......

Offcourse rohit, it would definitely be about new market research, trends of market.... ups and downs, etc etc

Another key idea is... never discuss business strategy of your company in public:wink:

K

hey rohit,

a newbie here...

my two pence would be a sort of a win-win situation
for example, somethin on the lines of...
holding a show on the channel - regarding b-schools, b-school education, education abroad and what not... laying emphasis to the suitablilty of the site for this purpose...

this way, we can still garner a select audience and also keep the initial pagal theme alive... the channel gets the niche audience that they're aiming for too...

HTH,

SAM

Another key idea is... never discuss business strategy of your company in public:wink:

K

good one...
Thanks people for the response. Looking for more of them..something out of the box...nt the usual stuff...and please jot down your thoughts in a point format. Easy for me to collate and others to view too.

As for the channel..it can be business/ youth related stuff ..just try to visualise our forum..what it is..and what we can vouch for..

Please.....

Enjoy

Rohit

hey cool! but how will it change the site? Will we have a seperate section for it? Or rather my preffered way ( actually it's there in gmail) would be at the top of every page, a marquee type of active links of latest news should be displayed... these links will lead to the actuall story from other business sites... what say?
u forgot...we are "Insanely Different" ..and its not business strategy am making here....am collecting the ideas...strategy comes later, when you have good ideas as a base...

And i will sincerely suggest you to read "Maverick" by ricardo semler, which is compulsory to read , if anyone is looking to work with us. It may change your cynical and Fordish style of business thinking :D

OK..lets not digress...keep them coming guys!!

Rohit

I just finished with the book and yeah - "participative management" rocks!!!

To the issue under discussion...
The channel can have a dedicated program on MBA in general and ride the tide based on the time of the year. Like having CAT based programs in Oct & Nov, other tests since Nov till Jan, Results et al during Jan & Feb, GD/PI coverages and results during the next few months. It can use the PG network to organise special programs on diff B-schools speaking to past and present students (the kind of "insiders view" kind of programs etc). It can get to speak with aspirants for such kind of programs. During other months - it can either run stuff on international Bschools, GMAT etc.

What we can offer - content (what wud work and what wudnt) for such programs, pointers to conatcts in schools, info on lot of stuff reg all these (since many of us have been doing this for long and will have enough to offer). In short - we can work as "pseudo reporters" for this channel (hey - do we get paid :wow:)

they also get a huge base for any polls they wanna run (50k odd is HUGE). they normally run these polls on much smaller scales!!!

PS> My 100th post 😃 PG rocks

1. Feedback and Polls : Mind well that PG is not the true representative of the entire test taking community. The ratio of low scorers is lower at PG. So feedback or polls about say "how much do u expect in CAT ?" would be biased towards the higher side and news channel ppl will find that out very soon. But still PG is the only of its kind medium in India....it won't make much difference. Now talking about the feedback of the news .... well we can really offer them something here but it will put heavy load and one has to think about thread management also because news will keep coming everyday and how will we collect, manage and present the feedback on every single item. And if the channel decides to publish some of the feedbacks on TV .... it will incentivise and hence accelerate the feedback posting. The best solution could be to build a distict platform jointly run and published by both PG and the channel. ("aapke sujhaav bhejane ke liye log on to pg.xxx.com or xxx.pg.com par" etc.) Where both : the regular visitors of the website of the channel and PGites could "jointly" discuss the news items and this will help both parties to pull each other's members/visitors. (Mind well, Career Avenue and PG have already done such thing jointly where infact Career Avenue's website had provided login ids to PGites.)

2. Articles/Coverage : Well camera teams of the channel can travel to different B-schools to jointly cover the b-fests. Even the adcom interviews can also be broadcasted. On the other hand if the news channel is interested in surveys (for eg AajTak conducts the survey of the best schools of India) ... PG can assist them by providing inside stories or even advising them on setting the right statistical parameters etc.

3. Money Money ... : PG is coming up with a web-store (T-shirts snaps are already out). Now that new channel can also come up (or may be already publishing) with news paper, magazine, collector's issues, special books etc. Now here PG's store can help them get the subscribers and channel can provide us the publicity. So PG-Store can reach to TV viewers. (Who knows PG-store could be the next fabmall !!! Isn't PG itself a sucsess-story ... jo PGbhai ne khud bhi nahi sochi hogi.)

Bas ..... aaj ke liye itana hi future planning kaafi hai.

u forgot...we are "Insanely Different" ..and its not business strategy am making here....am collecting the ideas...strategy comes later, when you have good ideas as a base...

And i will sincerely suggest you to read "Maverick" by ricardo semler, which is compulsory to read , if anyone is looking to work with us. It may change your cynical and Fordish style of business thinking :D

OK..lets not digress...keep them coming guys!!

Rohit

another good one... 😉

Hi Rohit,
Its beena long time since our PG meet and been thinking. I will come down to the Insane office next wek as I am absolutely lukha...

About the news channel I like the developement and it can be leveraged for super publicity for us at PG.com

How ?? Here goes my suggestions:
1) We get a small mention on their site in between the shows which deal with younger audiences like ones abt techno gizmos, auto shows, sports sections as that is the segment we are interested in...
2) We will provide them with tangible and intangible content...
Tangible: Our members in respective cities can be called in as studio audience as they want intellectual young guys who are passionate about india (who better than the puys fits this profile)
Intangible: All newschannel have a virtual presence so we can provide them content on Bschools, Youth opinion, Post their polls on our site, give them articles on Competitive exams and their results. Interview the profs at Bschols for them....

3) Next and most importantly we must not give them our database because that would be a violation of our members trust... secondly we can give them genric profles by taking the people we have as members cause we have Bschool aspirants, B school students, Working guys out of Bschool.. Working guys looking to get into Bschool.

4) A news channel looks for eyeballs which we can give them by giving them a section on our website page that leads to articles based on the weeks hot topics and then we can archive the thread and a small summary of it cause taht will help MBA aspirants for the future preparations of GDPI...

Rohit dude these are suggestions which are top of the mind but my dimaag is racing now and will post more. Will meet you next week for sure..
Bye take care
All the best
Call me if u have any work...
Pranav

interesting proposition ..but lets try to thrash out all details here so that we can go forward with a good value proposition...i would like to raise some basic questions and lets see the views that junta gives :

1)what are the potential benifits of tying up with a web portal primarily discussing youth related issues and which had a membership of more than 50 k with arnd double that number who visit the forum as guests.

2)when we say that it can be a base for market research then we have to understand that most of the news channels tie up with a MR agency to do the surveys...we can provide a base for youth related surveys but who'll do the research ..so tying with a MR agency will be a direct move up with the value chain ..if we dont have the MR agency or we cant do the analysis for the channels then we will have a gap in the value chain for sure.

3)yes we can discuss abt topics and give the news channels an indicative trend but then how a news channel will use it, one has to understand that news channels depends on live feeds and interactions for them getting a mere indicative view will not be that attractive and also if we consider that its attractive..then why will they pay us for it...for any journalist can become a member here start a thread regarding that issue, get a fedback from our over enthusiaitic PaGaLs and go back with an indicative thread...none of us 'll even have a clue that the user was actually a journalist and he/she will fly off with the trend...so when we place this value proposition lets think over how to make it more attractive, how can we create a better value for the channels and how to make it sure that other than that channel no other chammels can use those indicative views (it'll be tough because PG is an open forum)

4) lets try to find out what niches have we created till now

- No. 1 management education related forum :thumbsup:

- A strong community service network in a few cities :thumbsup: which i think should be integrated under a common name

- The carrear related discussions are going well so can we tie with a job site like naukri and monster..may be a good idea think abt it !!

apart from these what else, what else can we sell to a potential partner in the form of a news channel

this are just some arbit views which came to my mind as i woke up, switched on my comp and got rohit's message, would definitely like to see these ideas get thrashed out and the potential market opportunity be tapped....

yeh this views ab tak ..intezaar kijiye agle post tak !!

ciao..

Hi a newbie here...but this is what i feel

1. Whatever you do the basic DNA of Pagalguy should not change in any way!
  2. You can bargain for content of program..which covers things as mentioned in above posts but only conditioned being they have to come from people/students who have expirienced them and not from any experts.
  3. A more on how students finance their studies and various interviews of students who have taken up loans for studying and how they have managed to sucessfully repay them.
  4. I think the canvas can be much more broader...why only management education...take up any field and profile some pure "PAGAL" people who have walked down unusal paths in their career.

would add some more as soon as i think of them!!
You cant imagine how many brands i have turned down just cos of this. Be assured on that. We are not going to sell our database at any cost.(...umm...ok..above $2 billion , i may think )

Sure..drop down anytime at our Insane HQ!!!

Rohit

If he sells it for over 2 Bs, we kick him out and keep the money and act like it wasn't our fault
pagalguy Says
If he sells it for over 2 Bs, we kick him out and keep the money and act like it wasn't our fault

Hey alwin,
Dont kick him.. he does good work and if we have to kick him then lets give him a share of what he raises. and i think we can lower the price from 2 Bn to $ 1 Bn also cause it wud be enuf to start a news channel on our own with that
Whattsay?
Pranav

I have not gone through all the posts in this thread, just posting my suggestions:

1. Common Advertisers, Revenue sharing: The Channel could come up with enhancements in its Advertising Plans (or maybe additional plans) and earn a premium on its advertising rates if the advertisers get a space on the web (PG site) along with the regular video/ticker ads. This may be more easy to achieve in case of low priced-limited period ticker advertisements. If the channel is earning X rupees in the regular plan and X+Y in the new plan...then PG and the channel can share Y in some proportion. It's a win-win situation for both parties.
  1. Content Sharing: PG will host a separate News section (particularly news relevant for the MBA aspirants), RSS feeds to be taken from the channel website. Also, content on PG can be used for developing Career oriented programmes (Career related queries, CAT and related exams, GMAT preparation, MBA gyaan etc.) for the channel. PG junta can help the channel in getting the program right by providing valuable feedback and discussing on the forum.
  1. Updates on Programming, Audience for Programmes: The channel can have a dedicated space for advertising its own programmes on PG (we can charge them at discounted rates). Also, most channels need quality audience for their programmes (for instance NDTV regularly sends invitation to IMI students to take part in their programmes like We the people and The Big Fight and getting the audience is a big pain for the channels)...our junta can register with their profiles on a separate section on PG and the channel can pick and choose the best audience mix from the list (Contact details will remain hidden, only name and profile will be visible to the channel).
That's it for now...more later :)

Cheers!!
Hey alwin,
Dont kick him.. he does good work and if we have to kick him then lets give him a share of what he raises. and i think we can lower the price from 2 Bn to $ 1 Bn also cause it wud be enuf to start a news channel on our own with that
Whattsay?
Pranav

PG news channel "News the Pagal way"

Aur rohit ko nikala bhi to kya, patni hai na 😃 rohit would love to go back there
---Asif