Oxford SAID - Applicants for 2010-11

Hi …Although its a bit early but still thought of starting this thread to meet applicants who share the same dream …of an MBA from one of the best schools … so lets start rolling guys / gals … cheers

Hi ....Although its a bit early but still thought of starting this thread to meet applicants who share the same dream ......of an MBA from one of the best schools .......

so lets start rolling guys / gals ....

cheers

Add me in the tentative applicant list :)
BTW, what are your reasons to apply for oxford?

Uninversity reputation is the biggest reason for me which tempts me to apply. There are quite a few companies in the UK which have a policy of recruiting oxford or cambridge graduates only. Also, quite a few scholarships are available.
I am primarily targetting the Asian region but will apply to a couple of western schools as well. What do you guys feels are the most important factors in securing an admit to Oxford ? How would you rate the factors in order of importance..

I guess your application (written) if first and formost important stage. Interviews at Oxford are fairly simple.

Thanks for your tips Oneal, i read some of your blog. I hope you are enjoying your job now. Is oxford good for switching domains. I have experience in business development and strategy in an IT firm. I would like to shift to a consulting firm post MBA. I do not think that there is an internship opportunity , am i right?
As for my profile, my GMAT score is 710, IELTS is 7.5. I have decent academics and good extracurriculars. What are the most important aspects in the written application according to you and what do you feel Oxford is looking for in their candidates for example Harvard looks for leadership potential and an initiative taking person.

By 2011, assuming the things will recover, I guess there is a fair chance to switch the career from IT strategy to consulting. But it really depends on your own networking abilities. You can not depend on the school to do it for you.

In your application, according to me, Oxford values social entrepreneurship, entrepreneureship, leadership, business accumen and clarity of goals.

Good Luck!

I too am considering applying to Oxford.. so will be keeping track of this thread...

Hello,

I too will be applying for Oxford this season.
A brief of my profile

5+ yrs of exp
660 GMAT (Will be retaking shortly)
Working in Pre-Sales of an IT Major for last 2 years, basically an IT engineer by education
Have a Patent under my name
I head an NGO operations in Bangalore

I might have to defer my applications to ROund 2 bcoz of my relatively low GMAT score.

Any inputs/comments are most welcome

Let's keep this thread gng...

I dont think things will get better for 2009 batch.. if anything it might be worst.. I think the job scene should improve by the 2010...

Would be helpful, if someone could comment...

How many days would be required for my GMAT score report to reach Oxford, from the day of examination?

Thanks!

GMAC says that the scores would reach within 2-3 weeks... think it normally reaches earlier thou...

Hey,
Sorry guys ...got stuck with some stupid office work ....Well the thread has been slow uptill now, lets hope it picks up as the deadlines get nearer .....

As for my profile,
I am 27 yrs old / Male / Agri commodities Trader
Should have almost 5 yrs of work ex by the time I join a school...
3 yrs of Intl work ex (in Africa)

My GMAT score is probably the weakest link in my profile , I scored a measly 660 ....otherwise my acads are good, not great though ....

Really counting on my different work ex and Intl exp to help me sail through ....

More later ...

Addie....

well my profile is
26yrs / male / Governance, Risk & Compliance Consultant (SOXs, ISO27001, Business Continuity etc)
would have just under 4.5 yr exp at the time of joining..
mutiple international engagement in ME and a few in Europe...
Finally avg acads (and yeh most educational background has been in IT.. ) and a GMAT score of 700...

The problem I am having is the English requirement.. As I understand, it is mandatory to show TOEFL or IELTS... both of which I have't had time to give.. I just traveled to germany on work for around two months.. dont know if I'm gonna have time to give it... any comments or suggestions ?

I dont think there are any two ways about it. You will have to give the exam if you want to apply.

well my profile is
26yrs / male / Governance, Risk & Compliance Consultant (SOXs, ISO27001, Business Continuity etc)
would have just under 4.5 yr exp at the time of joining..
mutiple international engagement in ME and a few in Europe...
Finally avg acads (and yeh most educational background has been in IT.. ) and a GMAT score of 700...

The problem I am having is the English requirement.. As I understand, it is mandatory to show TOEFL or IELTS... both of which I have't had time to give.. I just traveled to germany on work for around two months.. dont know if I'm gonna have time to give it... any comments or suggestions ?

This thread has been very inactive. I am hoping for some help.

I am applying to Said. What is the deal with colleges under the business school? Is this some kind of building where you stay or just a way of demarcation? Any particular colleges preferred?

I have the same confusion.. Never heard of those colleges in list providing MBA

Hello guys,

I am working on the Oxford essays. Essay 1 is pretty straightforward. Any ideas on how to approach Essay 2? Could i possibly link a personal developoment with a change in my outlook? What approach have you taken for the second essay?

This is the essay question by the by?

Even those who are not applying to Oxford may pour in their views as to how to tackle this one 😃

adabass Says
I dont think there are any two ways about it. You will have to give the exam if you want to apply.

Dont know if its repeated question , but do we need to give IELTS/TOEFL for Said business school if we have International Work -Ex ( US ) for 2 years .

Also does anyone know its rqmt about INSEAD ,London b school .