Oxford or HEC Paris

Hi all, I am new to this forum and have a question. Which of the 2 MBA programs would be considered better between Oxford and HEC Paris. My area of work is finance and I am not looking to switch careers into another sector. I speak very littl…

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and have a question. Which of the 2 MBA programs would be considered better between Oxford and HEC Paris. My area of work is finance and I am not looking to switch careers into another sector. I speak very little french. I'm open regarding my post MBA work destination.

Some people suggest that I look into the career stats of both schools to decide but would that advice be given to someone who has to decide between say Wharton and NYU ( or am I incorrect to say that there is actually that big a difference in overall prestige and quality )

Oxford has that aura around it, but some say it is all hype. And HEC has been raked well off late though slightly lesser known. Broadly is the quality of the school, experience, prestige, career opportunities etc vastly different ?

Thank you

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and have a question. Which of the 2 MBA programs would be considered better between Oxford and HEC Paris. My area of work is finance and I am not looking to switch careers into another sector. I speak very little french. I'm open regarding my post MBA work destination.

Some people suggest that I look into the career stats of both schools to decide but would that advice be given to someone who has to decide between say Wharton and NYU ( or am I incorrect to say that there is actually that big a difference in overall prestige and quality )

Oxford has that aura around it, but some say it is all hype. And HEC has been raked well off late though slightly lesser known. Broadly is the quality of the school, experience, prestige, career opportunities etc vastly different ?

Thank you

You have already created one thread for your query and you have posted the same question in 3 different threads
Please do not spam like that
Your query will be answered, you just need to post it in the relevant thread and that too only once.
In short i can say that Please dont look st suggestions from people
See the individual attributes of a school
Like whether you like team based approach or competitive approach.
Also in Europe foreign language plays an imp role while placements.
Rest you also need to see which school has better reputation in Finance
You need to do all that research for yourself.

Thank you.

Hi all,

Thank you

Hi Heavy,

Sorry your first post met with the kind of response it did..I do understand where you are coming from,and if,according to sillyfool everyone was advised to do their own research and rely on that alone,this forum would not exist! What would happen to all the profile evaluations,school evaluations questions? Your question is precisely that..and I'll try to help based on my experiences..Plus you were not spamming,I noticed you posted on relevant threads,so I'm sure it's fine!

Oxford yes,it has an aura of being the learning centre,but the business school is young.However,it has been producing fantastic placement records and has a great brand recall value.HEC paris is like THE school in france and neighbouring europe.People are in constant awe of that school,and they attach the same greatness to you when you graduate from there.

In terms of finance,both Oxford and HEC are known for good placements within this industry.Although,there could be a problem with French for HEC..with Oxford you would be "safe" in that matter.I would suggest understanding what else do you need from a bschool /mba than just placements to come up with a best fit school for your requirements.

Good luck!!
Hi Heavy,

Sorry your first post met with the kind of response it did..I do understand where you are coming from,and if,according to sillyfool everyone was advised to do their own research and rely on that alone,this forum would not exist! What would happen to all the profile evaluations,school evaluations questions? Your question is precisely that..and I'll try to help based on my experiences..Plus you were not spamming,I noticed you posted on relevant threads,so I'm sure it's fine! ............

your name suggests that you are from the fairer sex so I will address you as Miss

I very politely told him what is the procedure to get answers and posting the same question in several threads is called spamming, otherwise i would love to hear your definition of spamming (please enlighten this sillyfool ).

And this forum is to help people discuss things and not for spoon feeding, if you ca not decide which school you want to apply, Please tell me how you goona take critical decision later in your professional life and please tell me again why r u doing mba??

And I must tell you it is against this sites policy to compare bschools thats what I heard and learnt the hard way :banghead::banghead:

And for individual queries if every1 is going to create thread then everyday there will be 1000's of threads (imagine the kind of load you are putting on pagalguy servers)

I might sound harsh and you can go on and groan on my this post also (and all the posts that u find)
but my sole intention was to help/guide him and thats what i have always been doing, But we all need to cooperate to make this site a better place.

Enough clarification from my side
@mods I remember earlier that threads for individual queries were not appreciated and were closed soon after redirecting the person to relevant thread, this rule has changed or am I missing something here?

grow up..as they say.

Hi oopsidaisy

Thanks for your detailed post and encouragement. In terms of what I want from an MBA - in no real order - an excellent education, stimulating peers, placement, exposure, network

The attraction to Oxford is the brand and the attraction to HEC is the No 1 in Europe tag ( FT )

I would like to explore working in Europe but coming back to India is also an option.

Thanks again

Anyone else ?

The number one tag in Europe is for the school as a whole- its not number one for the full time program.HEC is ranked highly more for the EMBA and Masters than for the FT MBA. For FT MBA, Said is 6th on the list and HEC 7th. However as per my knowledge Said is known for Entrepreneurship and HEC for Finance.
However i am a bit skeptical about the placements for Oxford (my personal opinion though).

HECs flagship program is the MSc Management Grand Ecole, not the FT MBA

Hi all,
it is obviously true that HEC flagship is MSc in management (Grande Ecole), but I expect that the HEC MBA has potential to leverage from the quality of this programme as well as from the quality of the EMBA (which is ranking 2nd worldwide by FT if I am not mistaken). My expectation is that the HEC MBA will go further up in the rankings.
On the other hand, all depends where you want to settle down after your MBA. What I can read from other forums is that the HEC main strength is its position in the francophone world or maybe in the luxury business ...
Cheers

P.S: Btw, in about half a year they are opening a great new building to accomodate the MBA programme.