Online GD/PI Prep for SCIT [2009-2011]

Hi Puys, Lets start the GD’s here …n prepare fr PI’s Puys pour in ur ideas… ATB puys Thanks Amit ::

Hi Puys,

Lets start the GD's here ..n prepare fr PI's

Puys pour in ur ideas...

ATB puys

Thanks

Amit

Me in....
It's late... have to sleep. Nahi to office mein vatt lagegi kal.

Guys.. as of now let's discuss about cloud computing. What say?

Me in....

I have already slept ...lol

Btw cloud computing is our internet service stuff rite ?Mebeing frm IT Industry cud figure it out bt as a GD Topic ..hmmm wud be abstract fr many ...

Will Continue Tomorrow m kinda-->:angel:
Thanks

Amit
Me in....

Defn: allowing users to access technology-enabled services from the Internet (the cloud) without knowledge of, expertise with, or control over the technology infrastructure that supports them.

hmmm few examples.. googledocs, apple MobileMe, Zoho office, adobe photoshop express.. , EyeOS (yeah its an OS to be used online)

Advantages: Since the programs and files you need arent native to a particular computer or drive, you can access all your necessary information via any computer with an internet connection. So all the work you do, gets stored not on any drive but on some servers at xyz location.. hence the risk of data loss is very low.
2ndly, it provide a very good access to ur files and also lets you work with it on the move.

Disadv : When I say low risk of data loss, it is subjective to the terms and conditions of the application. They have the right to terminate your account and dont gaurantee that your files are safe.
2ndly, internet connectivity is still not stable. Especially when we talk about mobile internet connectivity and cloud computing largely depends on it..

Cloud computing has revolutionised the way we use internet but its still dependent on the network infra. It is very good for people who are on the move and can be put a productive use by them.. Using it for critical files, well.. i would prefer to backup my hard drive rather then storing something online where data backup is not gauranteed. Well but it can also be seen as a cheap backup to store ur files.
I have already slept ...lol

Btw cloud computing is our internet service stuff rite ?Mebeing frm IT Industry cud figure it out bt as a GD Topic ..hmmm wud be abstract fr many ...

Will Continue Tomorrow m kinda-->:angel:
Thanks

Amit

Not a GD topic dude... just thought to put it here coz it's in vogue. Someone do suggest a GD topic also.

Cloud computing is the technology wherein the information instead of being stored on the client device is stored on centrally located servers.

ADVANTAGE: Accessibility across various devices and platforms
DISADVANTAGE: Security concerns of course.

some1 post a topic...a bit technical...

Ayush

fellow aspirant

some1 post a topic...a bit technical...

Ayush

fellow aspirant

Technical :tongue: !!!

I wud rather luv 2 debate on technical topics ..Which is better Oracle or MSSQL ... Oracle Oracle Oracle he he he Just Kidding

Honestly speaking .. Technical GD's have a very limited scope...So lets start a GD on something general...why nt discuss a topic which actually might be thrown at us in the actual gd's{Incase we r shotlisred}

"RISE & FALL OF SATYAM"

If the topic is ok with u puys den plz pour inur ideas and Iwill join :-)

Thanks
Amit
Fellow Aspirant
Technical :tongue: !!!

I wud rather luv 2 debate on technical topics ..Which is better Oracle or MSSQL ... Oracle Oracle Oracle he he he Just Kidding

Honestly speaking .. Technical GD's have a very limited scope...So lets start a GD on something general...why nt discuss a topic which actually might be thrown at us in the actual gd's{Incase we r shotlisred}

"RISE & FALL OF SATYAM"

If the topic is ok with u puys den plz pour inur ideas and Iwill join :-)

Thanks
Amit
Fellow Aspirant

aah...its something related to the topic given by you..let start on:

SATYAM HAMPERED INDIAN IT INDUSTRY CREDIBILITY IN THE GLOBAL MARKET ????

Wat say puys??

Thanks

Ayush
fellow aspirant
aah...its something related to the topic given by you..let start on:

SATYAM HAMPERED INDIAN IT INDUSTRY CREDIBILITY IN THE GLOBAL MARKET ????

Wat say puys??

Thanks

Ayush
fellow aspirant

Actually to some extent "yes" but its not a case where the credibility of the entire IT industry was questioned.Even in the case of SATYAM the deliverables or the credibility of the developers was never questioned.It was not a case when the capability of the software giant was questioned.It was actually a case where there was a flaw in the corporate governance.The figures stating profit margins,cash reserves and growth pointers were fudged.
The IT industry is still a shining star in Indian economy (although recession factor is there ..) and what happened with SATYAM was confined to the upper management levels of SATYAM .
Although the ripple effect can be seen in the business of SATYAM and adding some impetus to speculation but it's a short term effect .

The clients are now speculating but that does'nt mean that the projects won't be offered to any Indian IT firm.Even SATYAM will get back it's credibility in the long run.
It's just that now they will be discussing the corporate governance factors before offering a project and will be very careful while signing the contract .So the point which I want to make here is -->
It's not the whole IT industry whose credibility was lost but it was more of a loss of trust of clients of SATYAM at large

Thanks
Amit
Fellow Aspirant

Lets see this with another perspective
What has gone wrong with Satyam that the Indian IT industry has woken up and taking note of?

I'll say it's the manipulation done by of one IT family which has suddenly brought to fore the revenues earned by IT companies. This family was not alone and it was helped and guided by one of the best known audit firms in the world-PWC.

As per initial reports, it is said that the Raju family fudged the records to show non existent profits and liquidity in Satyam(it is still not proved that they have siphoned of the said amount- a staggering 7000 crores out of Satyam).Also, it is being rumored that the headcount of employees has been inflated to show the growth of the organization

This practice has been running since quite some time in Satyam. As per Mr. Raju's confession, they have been inflating revenues, profits, headcount, etc to increase business, credibility and a lot of other things. This practice suddenly seems to have gone all wrong and the gap in actual numbers and inflated ones started increasing.

To get everything back to normal, Mr. Raju initiated the proceedings to buyout Maytas which was a sister concern. It is logical that Satyam would get a majority stake of Maytas for Satyam, the inflated amount goes into buying the stake and everything returns to normalcy. But investors did not like the idea of getting Maytas onboard and the whole thing failed.

Now, if you compare this with a number of companies going bankrupt this year, only one thing seems to have gone wrong in this case. They had a tinkerer sitting right up there. It hurts the company not the industry. No client of Satyam has been affected drastically by this fraud coming out in the open. To an extent, Satyam is continuing to do business with their clients who are standing by in times of need for Satyam.

Credibility of a company or an industry is questioned only when the company cheats its clients or employees. In this case investors have been affected; but majority of the loss is due to the large scale selling of holdings by institutional investors.

Just gave the above brief so that puys get to know whats wrong with Satyam. Let me know if I have misquoted some point. Thought that the above summary can be used as an introduction to the topic and from here we can take the discussion ahead.

What has gone wrong with Satyam that the Indian IT industry has woken up and taking note of?

I'll say it's the manipulation done by of one IT family which has suddenly brought to fore the revenues earned by IT companies. This family was not alone and it was helped and guided by one of the best known audit firms in the world-PWC.

As per initial reports, it is said that the Raju family fudged the records to show non existent profits and liquidity in Satyam(it is still not proved that they have siphoned of the said amount- a staggering 7000 crores out of Satyam).Also, it is being rumored that the headcount of employees has been inflated to show the growth of the organization

This practice has been running since quite some time in Satyam. As per Mr. Raju's confession, they have been inflating revenues, profits, headcount, etc to increase business, credibility and a lot of other things. This practice suddenly seems to have gone all wrong and the gap in actual numbers and inflated ones started increasing.

To get everything back to normal, Mr. Raju initiated the proceedings to buyout Maytas which was a sister concern. It is logical that Satyam would get a majority stake of Maytas for Satyam, the inflated amount goes into buying the stake and everything returns to normalcy. But investors did not like the idea of getting Maytas onboard and the whole thing failed.

Now, if you compare this with a number of companies going bankrupt this year, only one thing seems to have gone wrong in this case. They had a tinkerer sitting right up there. It hurts the company not the industry. No client of Satyam has been affected drastically by this fraud coming out in the open. To an extent, Satyam is continuing to do business with their clients who are standing by in times of need for Satyam.

Credibility of a company or an industry is questioned only when the company cheats its clients or employees. In this case investors have been affected; but majority of the loss is due to the large scale selling of holdings by institutional investors.

Just gave the above brief so that puys get to know whats wrong with Satyam. Let me know if I have misquoted some point. Thought that the above summary can be used as an introduction to the topic and from here we can take the discussion ahead.

Correct Rohit,If u see ur previous post ...I have stated d same .The client base is not affected .Now lets discuss who got affected then ?

Satyam currently has 53,000 employess and they draw a salary of around 500 crores per month .Now since all the bank accounts of SATYAM are frozen and they do not have any cash reserves it's going to be very difficult to release the salary for this month and for consecutive months.

What happens then?The employess start floating their resumes !! They start speculating ...They start commenting based on their perception ..

All this add up to work against the image of SATYAM .

I'll say its the manipulation done by of one IT family which has suddenly brought to fore the revenues earned by IT companies. This family was not alone and it was helped and guided by one of the best known audit firms in the world-PWC.

This practice has been running since quite some time in Satyam. As per Mr. Rajus confession, they have been inflating revenues, profits, headcount, etc to increase business, credibility and a lot of other things. This practice suddenly seems to have gone all wrong and the gap in actual numbers and inflated ones started increasing.

I have one more point....
i think that Satyam scam will somewhat affect the credibility as of now foreign investers will think up twice before investing in Indian company but now companies will have to be sure while stating their headcounts,profits,revenue n have to have documents to show proofs so that any client can have satisfaction that yes the company is a good one!!! also if in any case company fails to complete projects on deadline then they again have to have proper reasons with proofs so that their goodwill is not affected!!!

frnds its gud discussin on general topics
bt koi idea ki ye technical topics(cloud computin) zyada toh nahi aate g.d may
nd topics lyk dese jisko jo bhi kahi se info mile plzz post karo
so dat v gain little bit idea abt dese topics
v cnt do g.d on dese topics cz zyada idea nahi hota abt dese
bt still cn gain knwledge
hai na..........

I have one more point....
i think that Satyam scam will somewhat affect the credibility as of now foreign investers will think up twice before investing in Indian company but now companies will have to be sure while stating their headcounts,profits,revenue n have to have documents to show proofs so that any client can have satisfaction that yes the company is a good one!!! also if in any case company fails to complete projects on deadline then they again have to have proper reasons with proofs so that their goodwill is not affected!!!

showing proofs as headcounts can always be fudged....you take in an employee and add him to the address book and when he quits dont flag him as 'resigned'......it seems thats wat satyam has done....they people on board who have already quit the company....only auditors come to know of this practice by looking into the number of salary accounts serviced by satyam.....and if the auditors are also in the know of things.....no investor would come to know about it.

If we cross check with other IT companies performance over the last 2 months, you will see that there has been a decrease in share prices; all due to an emotional round of selling by investors....when one sells some else buys it.....if the credibility would have gone for IT comapnies.....leve other comapnies; even if for Satyam...then you would have no buyers at all....there still is heavy buyinin satyam and people are mopre than happy to do the same @ rock bottom prices.

regarding project completion.....delays do ocur in rojects...reasons are many....maybe incase of satyam, delays would be due to the current situation.

government has taken steps to avoid the same....by appointing hdfc chairman, deepak parekh...it has initiated the proceedings for restoring credibility on satyam....having the head of a sound financial institution at the helm of satyam will restore the lost confidence of investors on satyam
showing proofs as headcounts can always be fudged....you take in an employee and add him to the address book and when he quits dont flag him as 'resigned'......it seems thats wat satyam has done....they people on board who have already quit the company....only auditors come to know of this practice by looking into the number of salary accounts serviced by satyam.....and if the auditors are also in the know of things.....no investor would come to know about it.

If we cross check with other IT companies performance over the last 2 months, you will see that there has been a decrease in share prices; all due to an emotional round of selling by investors....when one sells some else buys it.....if the credibility would have gone for IT comapnies.....leve other comapnies; even if for Satyam...then you would have no buyers at all....there still is heavy buyinin satyam and people are mopre than happy to do the same @ rock bottom prices.

regarding project completion.....delays do ocur in rojects...reasons are many....maybe incase of satyam, delays would be due to the current situation.

government has taken steps to avoid the same....by appointing hdfc chairman, deepak parekh...it has initiated the proceedings for restoring credibility on satyam....having the head of a sound financial institution at the helm of satyam will restore the lost confidence of investors on satyam

Lets disucss some other points which can throw some light on the credibility issues .
Pricewaterhouse Cooper the auditing firm which audited SATYAM is under the scanner.The firm is being quetioned for the discrepancy in the figures.

Now SATYAM is being taken to task for either bribing the auditing firm /persuading the auditors .In both the cases the image of SATYAM is defamed....

What say puys?

Thanks
Amit
Fellow Aspirant

In case of satyam..Person like raju...have done fraud for his personal gaoin not for company gain as it has been revealed that he has done fraud with andhra corp of rs 52 lakh..also his statement that only he is knowing about detoriating financial condition proved contradicting as 4 senior offcials sold their shares of company in huge quantity before raju"s confession!!! so i think Satyam as a whole company should not be questioned while Mr. Raju should be questioned??? persons like him losse credibility!!!
On the other side to overcome problem Satyam has hirred two new auditning companies KPMG & deolite so that whole audit of last years can be checked!! Also govt is seeking to overcome crises rather than thinking of shutting the company...so i think steps of govt will help to addd on credibility on IT companies!!!!!

My take on this would be
1) What satyam did was to save company but to extent what they did was really wrong.
2) All this will put FII to look at india's corporate with a eye of doubt.
3) This has at least warned other top corporate that if they do any such manipulation they will be under rigorous scrutinizer, which is in fact good as all will be alert from now before even thinking of doing something like this
4) Satyam is defamed but not divested as now as the new directors are formed it can be back in game but they need to work hard and has to be transparent in what they do.
5) When Mr. Raju said that it was his and his brother only who was responsible in this case, raise a doubt if CFO, auditors were not aware of what was happening. So again auditors are under eye of suspect.
From all this we can say that Indian company to some extent will be looked with an eye of suspension for sometime till we prove that just one company does not represent whole India. This will happen only if there is proper justice done to what has happened.
Regarding PWC yes thats another defamation providing not just to satyam but to corporate world. So here come the trust breach, many service sector are based on trust and if thats violated I have an doubt which country will trust us. Still they say lot of hidden facts are yet to be discovered behind this, so now it makes me wonder what will be next to come in this aspect and how much will it affect our industry.

To be back in game I think "Transparency" is the only way out.

What say puys?

frnds its gud discussin on general topics
bt koi idea ki ye technical topics(cloud computin) zyada toh nahi aate g.d may
nd topics lyk dese jisko jo bhi kahi se info mile plzz post karo
so dat v gain little bit idea abt dese topics
v cnt do g.d on dese topics cz zyada idea nahi hota abt dese
bt still cn gain knwledge
hai na..........

Yes I didn't post that one as a GD topic. Was more of a PI topic. They might ask us about the emerging technologies. Puys if you come around such terms do post them here.