One Year MBA at SPJIMR vs the Two Year Course

Guys, Doing this on behalf of a friend. She has received an email from SPJ abt the 1yr pgp program which they are probably starting this year. This program is on the lines of ISB and other foreign univs. What are the details …

Guys,

Doing this on behalf of a friend.

She has received an email from SPJ abt the 1yr pgp program which they are probably starting this year.

This program is on the lines of ISB and other foreign univs.

What are the details of the program, course content, profs etc?
Will they have placements alongwith pgdm or it will be different ?

How is it as compared to a 2 year course?

What work ex criteria do they have for this programme?

Also, can we look at the relative pros and cons of doing a 1 Yr PG in mangement vis-a-vis a 2 yr programme?

Sanchayan.

Guys,

Doing this on behalf of a friend.

She has received an email from SPJ abt the 1yr pgp program which they are probably starting this year.

This program is on the lines of ISB and other foreign univs.

What are the details of the program, course content, profs etc?
Will they have placements alongwith pgdm or it will be different ?

How is it as compared to a 2 year course?

What work ex criteria do they have for this programme?

Also, can we look at the relative pros and cons of doing a 1 Yr PG in mangement vis-a-vis a 2 yr programme?

Sanchayan.

even me got the email frm them....so guys please give some feedback....

sanchayan,

can u put up some more details of the mail that u have recieved.

Anish

sanchayan,

can u put up some more details of the mail that u have recieved.

Anish

SPJIMR offers to you a new pedagogic initiative - a 'fast track' 12 months residential Post Graduate Program in Management for Executives with specializations in Information Management and Manufacturing & Operations Management commencing on May 11, 2005. The genesis of this program is our experience in career focused customized approach to pedagogy and consequent successful lateral placements of our two-year full time PGDM participants, both of which we are pioneers in.

This one-year program is in line with European practice and emerging trend in the country. The program hence, will be more focused and rigorous which will demand clarity of career plans of the prospective candidates.

The fees for this program will be Rs.4.5 lakhs which includes on-campus accommodation. This does not include the cost of a laptop computer required for the program.

With your background and more than X years experience, we believe that this program will be more suited to your career objectives.

Has anyone else received this email....

has anyun else got this mail...I didn`t applt to spjimr in the first place...so did not get the mail...have they sent it out to select students only???????

Anish

Yes I have received the same mail. I called up a freind in SP jain and checked with him. No details are out yet. But it seems the placements wud not be a problem since SPJIMR already has good lateral placements. This one year program will be aimed at increasing those lateral placements.

If you take a note of the time when they have decided to start this programme..there is a link to 2005 placements..all these mails has been send only after the 2005 placements...so sure there have been a greater demand for people with work ex..or else the placement cell is confident abt the one year program from the current results.....

The cost , an extra year to earn and work towards your career all will be beneficial compared to a 2 year..program...there cud even be a case where most lateral placements will go to one year PGP

kiran1979 Says
there cud even be a case where most lateral placements will go to one year PGP

I hope this is not true as i think only people with 3+ yrs work ex have got this email. Plus i am not too keen to take this one (looks more like a crash course to me)....also someone from spj in my company was also not too sure abt this one and how it stands out in the market.....so junta please pour in your views abt the course and how many of the people are planning to take up this one. Also has anyone finished interview for this course as they mentioned that this int will also be conducted alongwith the normal pgdm ints....

Hello Ajain..for me there is nothing like a crash course in MBA. If you take any of the one year courses and compare it with the 2 year courses there wont be a big diff in terms of the total number of hours of acads. The diff comes in the time spend for Extra curricular activities and Interships. The one year courses are jam packed with more hours and very few gaps in between. ISB is not providing something extra ordinary becos i believe SPJIMr can also make the guest lectures happen there...but then it all depends on your taste..freshers there is no point in loosing the internships and other EC activities by joining a one year course...but if u have 4-7 or more years of exp why join a 2 year MBA.

called up SP today...its only for ppl with 4+yrs of work ex. ....the srecializations being offered are manufacturing,operations and IT

for all u ppl who have that kinda work ex...this seems to be a good enuf course to me!!!!

Anish

Did you get any other details..The reason for starting the course this year shud be asked....Did they tell you anything abt the number of seats...or the results or seperate interview anything like that... i filled the form they send and replied to thier mail with that...no reply to that so far...

kiran1979 Says
Did you get any other details..The reason for starting the course this year shud be asked....Did they tell you anything abt the number of seats...or the results or seperate interview anything like that... i filled the form they send and replied to thier mail with that...no reply to that so far...

I am reaching mumbai this saturday so wud call them up and ask the details. Till then will have to wait. Don't think we wud get a quick response to emails.
Kiran do u have 2 yr course int as well kya....also what special...u choosing...
I am reaching mumbai this saturday so wud call them up and ask the details. Till then will have to wait. Don't think we wud get a quick response to emails.
Kiran do u have 2 yr course int as well kya....also what special...u choosing...

My concentration is Information Management. I already had my 2 year PGDM interview..cleared the initial rounds and now waiting for the final result. I have around 5 as my work ex and i prefer a one year course if i get it......

I called Sp jain to ask whther applying to one year wud jeopardise my chances for 2 year...they replied saying it will only widen your oppurtunities...when u go there get max info possible..visiting the campus a day before and talking to people who had thier interviews on that day will be helpful....since i had my interview for 2 year prior to knowing abt 1 year pgp it was okai...take care not to get caught between the two when they ask why 2 year why one year and why shud we consider type questions....
My concentration is Information Management. I already had my 2 year PGDM interview..cleared the initial rounds and now waiting for the final result. I have around 5 as my work ex and i prefer a one year course if i get it......

I called Sp jain to ask whther applying to one year wud jeopardise my chances for 2 year...they replied saying it will only widen your oppurtunities...when u go there get max info possible..visiting the campus a day before and talking to people who had thier interviews on that day will be helpful....since i had my interview for 2 year prior to knowing abt 1 year pgp it was okai...take care not to get caught between the two when they ask why 2 year why one year and why shud we consider type questions....

sounds very strange that only those who have 2 yr course call have got this email...do they have large number of 4yr plus walas in the short list of 2 yrs course...otherwise how are they gonna fill the seats........hey can u give me ur contact number please....if u don't mind.

Plus considering this is the 1st year of such course how are their interviews gonna be...plus will they actually have int incase not many select this option...
sounds very strange that only those who have 2 yr course call have got this email...do they have large number of 4yr plus walas in the short list of 2 yrs course...otherwise how are they gonna fill the seats........hey can u give me ur contact number please....if u don't mind.

Plus considering this is the 1st year of such course how are their interviews gonna be...plus will they actually have int incase not many select this option...

DOnt worry abt that there are a large number of people...any way there are enough...by the way i dont think the class strength will be large 40 each or less than that cud be the strength i guess for the three conc...i even saw people with 7-8 years of exp being called for interview...but the majority were in the range of 2-4. Regarding my number..send me a private mail with your details i will get back to you..

You do your MBA only once in your life (most people),so why settle for a shortened (compromised?) course