Olin or Rotman

Hi Guys I am confused between Olin and Rotman, I have an admit from both the schools with total schol of 30k and 10K resp. Looking for career in Finance … Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated Thanks

Hi Guys

I am confused between Olin and Rotman, I have an admit from both the schools with total schol of 30k and 10K resp.

Looking for career in Finance ....

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Hi Guys

I am confused between Olin and Rotman, I have an admit from both the schools with total schol of 30k and 10K resp.

Thanks

Hey Ding_exp, if I am not wrong, you had this discussion on BW forums as well, right?

From my research on Canadian schools, I learnt that if you plan to study there, you should be mentally prepared to work in Canada. Companies from North America go to Canada for recruitment but their first preference is US Citizens or people with green card. If they want to sponsor a visa, they have plenty of choices with in US itself and they don't have to go to Canada. There are financial firms but most of the recruitment takes place in the petro-checmical sector (somebody correct me if this ain't true). With your scholarship of 30K at Olin, your total expenditure turns out to be the same (almost) for both schools. In this scenario, it makes sense (at least to me) to study in the US. You can always apply to the Canadian establishments of US financial firms. Hope this helps.

Disclosure: I will be joining Olin this fall
Hey Ding_exp, if I am not wrong, you had this discussion on BW forums as well, right?

From my research on Canadian schools, I learnt that if you plan to study there, you should be mentally prepared to work in Canada. Companies from North America go to Canada for recruitment but their first preference is US Citizens or people with green card. If they want to sponsor a visa, they have plenty of choices with in US itself and they don't have to go to Canada. There are financial firms but most of the recruitment takes place in the petro-checmical sector (somebody correct me if this ain't true). With your scholarship of 30K at Olin, your total expenditure turns out to be the same (almost) for both schools. In this scenario, it makes sense (at least to me) to study in the US. You can always apply to the Canadian establishments of US financial firms. Hope this helps.

Disclosure: I will be joining Olin this fall

Thanks arstakes,

Yes I only had put the post on BW forum, the only thing which scares me about US at present is the VISA laws ...otherwise I would have not had the second thought probably ...

would you mind telling me ..what you decided to zero in ..I believe u must have had other admits also in place ...

Hi Ding_exp, sorry for the delay in replying...i was traveling to India and had no access to internet for a few days. I had applied to only 3 schools and I was waitlisted in two places and accepted at Olin. So that made things easier for me. Hope you have made your decision by now.

Hi Guys

Thanks

I would suggest Rotman. While the money is not as good, the school has a better international reputation.
Business school rankings and MBA rankings from the Financial Times

In addition, I think it will be a lot easier to find a job being geographically located at Rotman than at Olin, where there is not a lot (especially in finance).