OG 11, question difficulty levels

Hello, I would like some help regarding the difficulty levels in the OG 11, and the two additional Quantitative and Verbal books. I am unclear as to whether the difficulty levels of the questions in a section keep increasing or are they ran…

Hello,
I would like some help regarding the difficulty levels in the OG 11, and the two additional Quantitative and Verbal books.

I am unclear as to whether the difficulty levels of the questions in a section keep increasing or are they random?
I've got problems wrong in the earlier parts as well as in the middle (haven't got passed Q.70 in each section yet)

Knowing the difficulty levels will help me evaluate my progress.

Looking forward to having this solved.

Thank you,
and Ave Caesar.

-HH

Bump!
Hey hey.. Help?

Pm'd iday for you. He prepped with the same books so guessing he'll have a fair idea.
ATB

Edit:800 posts!!!

Is it OK if i asnwer his query?

will answer if Iday didnt show up soon.
take care Hatori :)

by the way Hatori, did you check http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/mumbai-gmat-guild-2007-25019294

if you interested in GMAT Mumbai meet
please confirm it by replying there in the thread
thankyou.

Go ahead aim-wsc. I am awfully sick and wud not be in a position to do such analytical work in the near future (read: weekend).

i'll reply to this anyway after i get well.
Thanks aim-wsc 😃

dear hatori H,

the items in OG11 are in order of increasing difficulty.
doesnt apply as individual items but rather bunch of items (say 20 questions)
Out of given OG11 questions ie
249 PS
155 DS
141 RC
124 CR
138 SC
In genreal, you will find last one fifth questions in each section of this book, most difficult.
and the book starts with easy problems.

WHat else you wanna know?

since the q is raised, i referred to OG11 whether they have mentioned it clearly or not. Unfortunately they havent discussed about the OG11 book in the book at all.
isnt it ironic? dont you think ;)

anyway,
Neo lets make this thread for all official material.
GMAT Prep C A T,
POWER Prep C A T,
OG 11,
OG 10,
ADDTIONAL OGs ie V & Q.

all queries are welcome.

i don think there's any order...it's mostly random...tho u may find a block of tough/easy questions...

doesn matter....some questions may be easy for you...but diffi for others...stick to ur analysis grid....

you wont get a better suggestion than the one mucool has given 'STICK TO YOUR ANALYSIS GRID'

But i dont agree with him at first part...
dear mucool in OG 10 there was on order as such. but here we are concern with OG11

i know what ur counter argument will be 😉

you wont get a better suggestion than the one mucool has given 'STICK TO YOUR ANALYSIS GRID'

But i dont agree with him at first part...
dear mucool in OG 10 there was on order as such. but here we are concern with OG11

i know what ur counter argument will be ;)

yeah u r rite...i was talkin bout og 10...but still the second argument holds....stick to ur own grid..

Ah.. Thank you..
But now that you've mentioned it..

What's an Analysis Grid?

-HH

Mokool do the honours
and get a thank point

Ah.. Thank you..
But now that you've mentioned it..

What's an Analysis Grid?

-HH

Okay this is for everyone wondering what's an analysis grid...

Its a great way to track your performance. It can be an excel file or a handwritten sheet...which is basically a table with some columns...

How to make it??

Let's say SC...
=================
column1 -- Question no.
column 2-- your answer
column 3 -- correct/wrong?
column 4 -- right answer
================

column 5 -- type (modifier/parallelism/etc..)
column 6 -- difficulty level (hard/medium/easy)
================================

something like this...you can get more creative and add some more columns if you want to....

what are the two blocks here???

the first one has all those columns which you will use while solving the questions...
the second has columns which you fill after solving and during analyzing.

How will it help you??

Most of you know that you have to redo the OG. Then this grid will help you know which type of questions you commit mistakes in...

you can use the filter functionality in the excel to filter out while doing problems...

it will save you lots of time...and you will instantly know your accuracy, weak spots and what you can additionally do is star mark the questions which has interesting stategies...so that you can refer them when revising...

I took a print out of the grid after filtering each type of question and did them in one go....helped me a lot...and it makes doing exercise fun.

You can download a copy from my blog...it already has all the questions rated for OG 10.

Cheers!!
waiting for my thanx now

Questions made no difference for me...

The entire quant section was EASY and the entire verbal section was PAIN :(
and no - i am not kidding :)

But then Hatori, i guess aim-wsc and mucool have given you enough info to analyze the difficulty levels of the questions. If you really ask me, forget the difficulty level, see the book as a bunch of questions and just shoot them down 😃

Hey Iday,
Yeh, that's pretty much my style here.
While I appreciate and even admire aim and mucool's system, which would require a lot more hardwork, I'm just studying and shooting them down.

Though I have got a rudimentry grid in place... just something for me to keep track of my progress.

Check it out, it's real basic. Any suggestions are welcome.

About difficulty levels now - from my experience with the OG11, the questions seem to be in Random Order

I had asked about the difficulty levels so that I could plan how to study from the OG11, Quant and Verbal books.

Basically, if the difficulty levels are in increasing order, then I would do problems 1-20 from OG, then 1-20 from Quant or Verb of the same section instead of finishing one book and then starting the next. It would be very difficult to analyze my performance if I started with easier questions after going through a whole bunch of tougher ones. Ideally, prepping should involve questions that get progressively harder or completly random.

EDIT --> After going through some more problems I have concluded that the difficulty levels of the questions in OG11 keeps increasing.