[Official] Schulich School of Business, Toronto, Official Admission Query thread

Dear Puys It is my pleasure in introducing the Official query thread for Schulich School of Business (York University) Canada. The admission team has agreed to answer all your queries through this thread. Schulich is Canada’s Global Busi…

Dear Puys

It is my pleasure in introducing the Official query thread for Schulich School of Business (York University) Canada. The admission team has agreed to answer all your queries through this thread.

Schulich is Canada's Global Business School providing a very dynamic and interactive learning environment.. Whether it's competing in global academic competitions or in global rankings of the world's top MBA programs, the students and the School are performing at the very highest levels.

Applicants who get selected, will be challenged by Schulich's award-winning faculty, the rigor and intensity of programs, the drive and passion of their classmates. MBA students in Schulich get to hone their management skills in Schulich's state-of-the-art, $100 million facility.

The Admission team that will be taking queries include the following people:

Mark Sequeira
PG Userid - marksequeira
Charmaine Courtis
Executive Director, Student Services and International Relations
PG Username - Ccourtis

Carol Partland
Manager Graduate Admissions
PG Username - Cpartland

Angad Chowdhary
Manager, Student Services and International Relations
PG Username - schulichmba

Some guidelines for Puys using this thread -

The DOs

1. Please Go through the thread pages first, most probably your question has already been asked by somebody else and asking it again will be a redundant activity. By reading through the thread, you will also learn a lot of interesting facts about Schulich School of Business through other users' questions.

2. If your question or a similar question has NOT been asked before, you can post your questions about Schulich School of Business or MBA careers here by hitting the 'Post Reply' button on top or by clicking here.

3. The Schulich Admission team, who will watch this thread will answer all your queries on a regular basis. So once you post your question, you can come back to this thread in a couple of days to find your answer or even better, Subscribe to this thread by clicking on the 'Thread tools' link on the top-right side at the top of the thread.

The DON'Ts

1. NO PROFILE CHECK questions allowed - Please do not ask questions of the type: 'The following are my marks and my work experience so What are my chances at Schulich School of Business?' - such type questions are not allowed and will simply be deleted. This thread is not meant to be a dipstick test to measure your admission feasibility.

2. No asking redundant questions. First read through the thread. If you don't find your question already asked, only then ask.

Wishing you all the best

Soumik Ganguly (PG-HQ)

Thanks for this opportunity and I guess I'll be the first one to ask. I am interested in applying for MBA prog for the winter session (deadline is 1 Sep) and here are my questions -

1) Is there any difference between Fall/Winter intake in terms of course availability, teaching staff, number of students admitted, available resources, scholarships, etc?
2) Do Fall and winter admits basically merge in year 2 or do they continue to stay separate?
3) Do winter admits have the option of internships? In USA MBA prog. summer internship is extremely important, is the situation similar in Canada?
4) I know its possible to finish the program in 16 months. Do students taking this route qualify for the 3 year work permit?
5) Which specialization(s) do you consider to be Schulich's core strength.

Thanks for the answers.

Thanks for this opportunity and I guess I'll be the first one to ask. I am interested in applying for MBA prog for the winter session (deadline is 1 Sep) and here are my questions -

1) Is there any difference between Fall/Winter intake in terms of course availability, teaching staff, number of students admitted, available resources, scholarships, etc?
2) Do Fall and winter admits basically merge in year 2 or do they continue to stay separate?
3) Do winter admits have the option of internships? In USA MBA prog. summer internship is extremely important, is the situation similar in Canada?
4) I know its possible to finish the program in 16 months. Do students taking this route qualify for the 3 year work permit?
5) Which specialization(s) do you consider to be Schulich's core strength.

Thanks for the answers.

Hi "justathought", how are you? Below are answers specific to your query:

1. The differences in terms of course availability and faculty will depend on the availability of faculty members. As the teaching staff at Schulich includes part time faculty members too. This link Schulich School of Business - Course Offerings will provide you will all the information on the list of courses and faculty for fall and winter terms. The student intake for fall as well as for winter is approx. 250 respectively. International students would prefer fall intake as it would prepare them for the winters in Toronto. Also the earlier you start the better opportunities in networking, more club events and also better opportunities in getting scholarships. As you are interested in winter intake, I suggest you get in touch with current students and alumi by which you are abreast with the latest events and weather. There will also be a launch week program in winter so that you can get to know your peers and build a better network.
2. That's a good question. The flexibility that the program offers you is that you can pick and choose the courses you want when you want with core courses in first year and electives in year2. So when you enroll in your courses you will find peers who may be from both full time fall and winter intakes and also accelerated and part time mba students. In some of the courses I had enrolled, My peer group also included exchange students from iim ahmedabad, essec, some from mexico and other universities around the globe.
3 Well, technically speaking the fall intake would have the advantage of a summer internship over winter intake. But again due to the flexibility of the program offered, as a winter intake you could choose to do an internship and extend the duration of your course. Though it's not mandatory that you do an internship you may choose to go for a full time job opportunity instead.
4. Work permit duration depends on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada completely. You must keep checking their website Welcome Page | Page d'accueil as the rules keep changing. It's a case by case base treatment. Usually you do get a 3 year work permit but again it depends on the cic officials. Companies can also sponsor you.
5. For Schuilch's core strength check this video Schulich offers many cutting edge specializations and electives. It depends how much learning you can imbibe and how well you're able to manage your time. The Schulich website will provide you with a list of specializations and electives with Business consulting, Real estate and infrastructure, Business and Sustainability, Marketing, Strategic management , Finance, OB and Nonprofit management and leadership which are in great demand among others.

That was a good set of questions to begin with :D
Best regards,
Angad Chowdhary

Thank you for the reply. I will check the links provided and post any further queries. Thanks again!

This is your chance to meet our team and discuss your queries
MBA/IMBA Information Session Downtown
Date : 7/27/2011
Time: 6:00 PM
222 Bay Street, Ernst and Young Tower
Toronto -- M3K 1K2
Canada

Topics covered include admission requirements and procedures, study options, academic content, specialization opportunities, career paths, financial aid and more. At these sessions, candidates can dialogue with faculty representatives, such as admission officers, program directors, current students and alumni.

MBA/IMBA Information Session

Date: 8/23/2011
Time: 6:00 PM
York University, 4700 Keele Street, Room 108
Toronto -- M3J 1P3
Canada

Topics covered include admission requirements and procedures, study options, academic content, specialization opportunities, career paths, financial aid and more. At these sessions, candidates can dialogue with faculty representatives, such as admission officers, program directors, current students and alumni.

To register Click Here

Best regards,
Angad Chowdhary
Manager@Schulich

Does schulich mba have any criteria over validity of gmat score with respect to the exam given and the score presented during admission process.

kinetic Says
Does schulich mba have any criteria over validity of gmat score with respect to the exam given and the score presented during admission process.

Hi kinetic, how r u ?

The gmat score is valid for 5 years.

Best regards,
Angad Chowdhary
manager@schulich

Hi,

I'm interested in applying for the Fall 2012 intake of the MBA program.

- When can we start applying for the Fall 2012 program?
- Does Schulich review applications on a rolling basis?

Hi,

I'm interested in applying for the Fall 2012 intake of the MBA program.

- When can we start applying for the Fall 2012 program?
- Does Schulich review applications on a rolling basis?

Hi Lezra,

Yes, applications are reviewed on rolling basis.

You can start applying in Dec/Jan. The early deadline would be 1st Feb 2012.

Please note only complete applications will be reviewed.

Best regards,
Angad Chowdhary
manager@schulich

Hello Angad, how you doing?

1. I'm almost through with my application with just the transcripts left to be sent. Is there anything I need to know while sending the same? I'm planning to send it through speed post of Indiapost and the cost of which is INR 890. Also, a copy of my degree certificate should be enough right?

2. Can you elaborate a bit on the scholarship front? Are the chances less of attaining a scholarship for the winter intake?

3. If I get through, I'm planning to bring my wife along with me. What are the chances of her landing an IT job in Toronto since she's into IT for close to three years? Logistically, is it a difficult process to go through?

Thanks,
KK

Hello Angad, how you doing?

1. I'm almost through with my application with just the transcripts left to be sent. Is there anything I need to know while sending the same? I'm planning to send it through speed post of Indiapost and the cost of which is INR 890. Also, a copy of my degree certificate should be enough right?

2. Can you elaborate a bit on the scholarship front? Are the chances less of attaining a scholarship for the winter intake?

3. If I get through, I'm planning to bring my wife along with me. What are the chances of her landing an IT job in Toronto since she's into IT for close to three years? Logistically, is it a difficult process to go through?

Thanks,
KK

Hi KK, am doing good ! thanks

1. Original transcripts to be sent with university stamped sealed envelope and copy of your degree certificate. You may also contact carol partland at [email protected] for specific queries related to your application package.

2. Chances for scholarships are same for any intake. Please see the schulich website for updates on the scholarship, bursaries and awards.

3. Its not a difficult process but it could get time consuming depending on the job requirements. I would suggest you start applying now and build a contact network. Also, you can get leads, resources and guidance from the career development center at schulich.

All the best buddy. hope to meet you in toronto soon!

Best regards,
Angad chowdhary
manager@schulich

Hello,

Just wanted couple of clarifications-

1. In Schulich's website i couldn't find anywhere link to placement reports for MBA. Could you please guide me to the correct link?

2. Also the website says for Fall 2012 admissions, Feb 1 as early deadline under "U.S. and Canda Deadline Column". Is it the same for International Students too. Also when will the admission process start? Currently when i login to admissions portal it doesn't give me option to select MBA for 2012/13. Also if i apply early say by Nov'11 by when i'll get notification regarding interviews, selection etc.
I am sorry but Schulich website wasn't too helpful in clearing some basic doubts.

We look forward to receiving your applicaiton and you are wise to send things through speed poste We will need official copies of your degree as long as that is what you are sending you will be fine.
Scholarships are not considered until after October 30. at that point only the very best of the admitted students are considered for scholarships. Once an offer has been extended to a candidate though you will hear from our Associate Director, Financial Aid who will give you financing advise both what you can do in India before you come to Toronto and what to expect once you get there.
For you wife to find work she will have to have the appropriate visa. With that in mind any experience she has will certainly help her in the job search.

Hope that these answers are helpful, and I look forward to your application.
CCourtis

Hello,

Just wanted couple of clarifications-

1. In Schulich's website i couldn't find anywhere link to placement reports for MBA. Could you please guide me to the correct link?

2. Also the website says for Fall 2012 admissions, Feb 1 as early deadline under "U.S. and Canda Deadline Column". Is it the same for International Students too. Also when will the admission process start? Currently when i login to admissions portal it doesn't give me option to select MBA for 2012/13. Also if i apply early say by Nov'11 by when i'll get notification regarding interviews, selection etc.
I am sorry but Schulich website wasn't too helpful in clearing some basic doubts.

Hi maxmoju

1. I have attached a copy of the placement report from the website here.

2. I have replied to this query in my earlier posts too. Admission is on rolling basis. You can start in Dec/Jan. Yes, Feb 1 is for international students too.

hope this helps !

Best regards,
Angad Chowdhary

Airport reception launches at Pearson :

Hello International and Exchange Schulich Students!
We look forward to welcoming you at Schulich
Upon arrival, make sure to stop by the INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS WELCOME BOOTH
Toronto Pearson International Airport
Terminal 1 and Terminal 3 in the international arrivals areas
(passenger reception and pick-up)
August 22 to September 5, 2011; 6 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 4 p.m. to 11 p.m.

Meet up with the friendly staff to:
-Collect your free Welcome Kit
-Get answers to your questions and information about public transit, housing and accommodation, Torontos communities and neighbourhoods, shopping, dining and entertainment
-Inquire about free shuttle service to your campus (based on availability)
-Call family and friends overseas for FREE
-Receive a FREE SIM card
-Enter online for a chance to win an all expenses paid trip for two (2) guests to visit you on Canadian soil from anywhere in the world in 2012

Best regards,
Angad Chowdhary

Very informative thread.I am planning to apply to Schulich for the Round 1 deadline for Fall'12 session in 2012.
1.My query is related to the TOEFL waiver score.
Under what circumstances can the TOEFL waiver be waived off?
The Medium of instruction in high school and under graduate studies has been English.I have a Score of 710/5.5 (Q48 V40).
2.I am planning to major in Consulting and want to work in the IT Consulting domain.What all companies hire from schulich for Business Analyst and IT Consultant profiles?
3.Is financial aid available through the University?

Hi, is there any existing thread for Winter 2012 MBA Program

Regards, Varun

Very informative thread.I am planning to apply to Schulich for the Round 1 deadline for Fall'12 session in 2012.
1.My query is related to the TOEFL waiver score.
Under what circumstances can the TOEFL waiver be waived off?
The Medium of instruction in high school and under graduate studies has been English.I have a Score of 710/5.5 (Q48 V40).
2.I am planning to major in Consulting and want to work in the IT Consulting domain.What all companies hire from schulich for Business Analyst and IT Consultant profiles?
3.Is financial aid available through the University?

Thanks Rahul ! glad you liked it :thumbsup:

1. In your case Toefl will be waived off. (Assuming your studies were in India)
2. In my earlier post I have attached a pdf file, it has the company names. You can get more info on it by contacting our Career development team in there.
3. Yes, financial aid is available for at entrance and ongoing. See attached pdf. Financial support along with this post.

Best regards,
Angad Chowdhary
Hi, is there any existing thread for Winter 2012 MBA Program

Regards, Varun

Hi varun, how u doing?

Well, this thread can be used for Winter 2012 discussions as well. I would be glad to answer queries from our winter 2012 admits too.

Best regards,
Angad Chowdhary