Official Query Thread for Frankfurt School of Finance and Management

Dear Puys It is my pleasure to introduce* Frankfurt School of Management*’ Official Admission query thread for PG users. This thread will be useful to get information on the b-school’s application process, admission criteria, important dates,…

Dear Puys

It is my pleasure to introduce Frankfurt School of Management' Official Admission query thread for PG users. This thread will be useful to get information on the b-school's application process, admission criteria, important dates, course structure, pedagogy, differentiating factors, developmental tools in the program etc and to network with fellow applicants.

According to the b-school, It offers top class degree courses and continuing education options in nine different programme divisions. FS originated in the financial sector, but today enjoy increasing appreciation in other business sectors as well. FSFM also provides MBA in International Healthcare Management

Frankfurt School also conducts FSAT - Frankfurt School Assessment Test (for those who does not want to take GMAT/ GRE)

On behalf of Frankfurt School of Management, the official queries will be taken by Mr. Sumit Rai (PG Userid: Frankfurt Adm)

All the very best
Ankita Nayyar (PG-HQ)

Dear Puys

I am introducing the Official Admission query thread for Frankfurt School of Finance & Management. It is a leading private business school based in Frankfurt am Main, Germany. Frankfurt School offers top class degree courses and continuing education options in nine different programme divisions. All courses offered by the FS have three aspects in common: high standards, diversity and practice-orientation.

Frankfurt offers: MBA International Healthcare Management

For Students who do not have GMAT or GRE Scores, they can opt for - FSAT Frankfurt School Assessment Test. But, this test is specific to Frankfurt School Admission.

On Behalf of the Institution, the following person will be answering all queries related to - application process, visa, loan processing, life at the institution, student profiles, etc:

Mr. Sumit Rai
PG User ID - Frankfurt Adm

Standard forum posting rules will be applicable, and please use the PM option for asking and answering personal queries.

All the best

Soumik Ganguly (PG-HQ):biggrin:

How is the rating for M.Sc Finance Course at Frankfurt School ?

What are the job prospects?

Hi,
The M.Sc. Finance program at Frankfurt School is rated among the top Finance program available in Europe. This program has also received prestigious FIBAA premium seal which speaks about its standard and quality of Education. The job placement rate at Frankfurt School is 99.9% for all German speaking students and for International students, depends upon their willingness to work in German organization, in Germany or globally. Even if the International student wants to work for MNC in Germany, a desired level of German language is expected.

Thanks
Frankfurt Adm

Frankfurt School of Finance & Management announces FSAT - Frankfurt School Assessment Test. For those, not keen on GMAT/GRE but still want to study best Master's program at Frankfurt, can join FSAT on any of the upcoming dates in Pune:

1. 20th April
2. 11th May
3. 8th June

The FSAT is a 2 hour long exam and test student on the following parameters:

1. Verbal Reasoning
2. Quantitative Reasoing
3. Comprehension &
4. Essay Writing.

Student from India who prepared for CAT/appeared can easily get through this test.

Thanks
Frabkfurt Adm

I have some queries :

1. How many days do they take to tell you about your admission status once you have applied?

2. Is there a possibility of a part time job with MSc Finance (since its a two years course) , I guess a desired level of German language must be required for that also.

Hi, it usually takes 2-3 weeks once you have applied with complete documentation, GMAT/GRE and TOEF/IELTS score card being essential part of the application.

Master of finance program now offers two possibilities to international students:
1. You can complete all the essential subjects in the 16 months period instead of two years, thereby reducing the stay period in Frankfurt by 8 months. In 16 months options you have 5 days of classroom lectures, leaving you with very less option of working part-timem Although by law, you are still allowed to work 20 hrs per week, if your time schedule permits.

2. The second option is of 24 months(currently running), 3 days a week classroom model, where you can work for the other three days. You continue to take essential subjects till the entire duration of the program.yes, you are expected to show desire level of German language if you wish to work in the remaining three days of the week. It is also important where you find work, for example if you work within the university, than language requirement is not there. Moreover, you are being offered 500 plus hours of German language classes in parallel to your curriculum, thereby making you ready for work in Germany post completion of you degree.

Thanks
Sumit Rai

I have some queries :

1. How many days do they take to tell you about your admission status once you have applied?

2. Is there a possibility of a part time job with MSc Finance (since its a two years course) , I guess a desired level of German language must be required for that also.

Hi Sumit,

Is TOEFL compulsory for Indian applicants? Also what are the chances, the amounts and criteria for scholarship offered to students?

Thanks.

Hi Sumit,

Is TOEFL compulsory for Indian applicants? Also what are the chances, the amounts and criteria for scholarship offered to students?

Thanks.

Hi, TOEFL or IELTS is an essential requirement to get admitted to Frankfurt School.The scholarships are available but are limited in numbers and are highly competitive. If one gets it, its a complete waiver in tuition fees. You do not have to apply separately for scholarships though. The admission board meets after the deadline for winter semester gets over, and the final result of scholarship is declared end of july. The criteria to get scholarship is purely based on past academic records, GMAT/GRE score and TOEFL. Extra curricular activities and work experience is also taken into count in certain cases.

Cheers
Sumit Rai

Hey guys,

I've been accepted to a couple of Master in Finance programs, one being that in FSFM. I have a couple of questions for you and would gladly appreciate it if you can provide me with a detailed answer as possible.
1. Obviously you MUST SPEAK German to be offered a job at Frankfurt or other places in Germany--Prof Dr Martin Diedricht told me that during our interview--how good of a German though? In terms of A1,B etc
2. Why the school is not in main rankings and there is virtually no info about the school other than the website of the school itself. It is supposed to do a lot of research for industry and have great connections and great placements, and the grad survey of Master students in 2009 gave an avg of 75,000 euro starting salary (bigger that Ox, Imperial and many others) but still no big ranking. Also, in German Universities it was ranked 6th. My stepfather is German and he asked friends of his in Germany who did not know much about the uni.
3.I saw some videos in youtube about the school and there was a lot of hate in the comments--why is that? Are ppl jealous?
4. The caliber of Faculty looks good, how accessible is the faculty? Can aby of them become an adviser and help in applying for Phd for instance(In case I want to)?

Thank you for the time

Hi,
Thanks for you queries.

1. If you are looking for part-time opportunities off-campus, a basic level of German language is desirable. For on-campus jobs, there is no problem of German as a language. Moreover, at FS you would be offered 500 plus hrs of German language classes in parallel to your regular classroom to equip you with the language and make you job ready once you are through with the studies.

2. What kind of information are you looking on the University. Is it Research, on faculty, the programs we do, the conferences we participate? Established in 1957, as a institute to train people from banking & finance community; it has developed itself into full-fledged B-school, with a main thrust on finance & management. It is only since last decade FS or other German Universities decided to go international and converted into Bachelor's & Master's format (after the Bolognase process), signed in 2004-2005. All German Universities suddenly realized the importance of going international and participating in the rankings. FS was no different. We have increased our International activity since 5 years only (offices, in China, India, Kenya, Brazil) and started lean promotion of brand FS. It is due to this internationalization, FS is now close to get AACSB accreditation (expected date Early 2013 - since getting this accreditation is full 4 year long process). I would also like to share with you the monthly media analysis report and the presence of Frankfurt School in various media across Germany. Perhaps you can share this report with your father, to also give him an understanding how big & popular Frankfurt School is in the world of Finance in Europe. Moreover, there are not many German Universities who ranks in the top 50 or 100 FT rankings, but the quality of research and output they produce, is fantastic and also being corroborated by the Indian alumni of these universities. The rankings could be one of the criteria for selecting a good B-school for overseas studies, but shouldn't be the only criteria.

Could you please send me the link where you have seen this hate comments. I would really like to bring it to my people in order to understand the criticism and improve the process.

Yes, faculty is very helpful and approachable. Please write to them directly based on your interest. They would surely be able to help if they find you the right candidate for the topic of research you propose.

Thanks,
Sumit Rai

Hey Sumit,

Appreciate the quick response.
To answer some of you questions:
1. I saw a couple of rankings: some were broken down to research, helpfulness of faculty, international aspect, etc...Usually FS was ranked high in most aspects, but there was one particular ranking made by employer responses that ranked FS 6th; Ill ask my dad for the link.
For the youtube videos: I am talking about responses of some haters to advertising videos made by FS; I know that there is ALWAYS smb hating, but it was odd that they were so many given the amount of ppl who saw the video. There is limited info about FS out there, so I am trying to use all the resources I can.

It is true that it is a new program and even though it may be good, it is not at the spotlight as other international programs; Also, I do not believe everything that the rankings say is true--FT places a lot UK schools in the top and does not give enough weight on things such as job placement and and starting salary. So, to continue with my inquiries :)
Do I have to pay extra for these German courses and are they a part of the regular curriculum or they are smth negotiated b/n students--lecturers as private sessions?
Also, I have EU citizenship: how many hours can I work (given 3 day classes) outside campus and is it possible to find part time job in my field with basic German(I thought you may have some info, even though it is not too much on topic)?
Does the career service post part time jobs or help you find one?
Any info on hourly wage in on-campus jobs?
Why is the career services website only in German? So does that mean no German=no job?

I have really narrowed it down to very few unis, and FS is one of them so this is why I am grilling you on all that.

Thanks

Also, 1 more thing:
Who are the members of Verein zur Foerderung der Bankakademie? How can I get in touch with one and get a 25% reduction in tuition?

Hey Sumit,

Appreciate the quick response.
To answer some of you questions:
1. I saw a couple of rankings: some were broken down to research, helpfulness of faculty, international aspect, etc...Usually FS was ranked high in most aspects, but there was one particular ranking made by employer responses that ranked FS 6th; Ill ask my dad for the link.
For the youtube videos: I am talking about responses of some haters to advertising videos made by FS; I know that there is ALWAYS smb hating, but it was odd that they were so many given the amount of ppl who saw the video. There is limited info about FS out there, so I am trying to use all the resources I can.

It is true that it is a new program and even though it may be good, it is not at the spotlight as other international programs; Also, I do not believe everything that the rankings say is true--FT places a lot UK schools in the top and does not give enough weight on things such as job placement and and starting salary. So, to continue with my inquiries :)
Do I have to pay extra for these German courses and are they a part of the regular curriculum or they are smth negotiated b/n students--lecturers as private sessions?
Also, I have EU citizenship: how many hours can I work (given 3 day classes) outside campus and is it possible to find part time job in my field with basic German(I thought you may have some info, even though it is not too much on topic)?
Does the career service post part time jobs or help you find one?
Any info on hourly wage in on-campus jobs?
Why is the career services website only in German? So does that mean no German=no job?

I have really narrowed it down to very few unis, and FS is one of them so this is why I am grilling you on all that.

Thanks

Hi,

I have the link for the research and data which you have seen. If you like I can share it with you.

I would still request you to send me the link for this video which has been hated by so many people. I would really like to go deeper and understand the reason.

Are we talking about Master in Management (as new program)? This is indeed a new program offering by FS, with a clear focus in banking & manufacturing as specialization. We still have to assess how well this program get accepted in national & international students. Continue with your research, and I am happy that you bring so many issues to the forum, It will also be basis for other students to understand FS better.

You would require to pay close to Euro 1,000 for the 500 plus hours of German classes. This is not a part of curriculum and is offered to international students to help them build on their language skills. It is possible to take these German classes in parallel to the curriculum.

As an EU or International students, you are now allowed to work 120 days full-time instead of earlier 90 days. 20 hrs per week is the normal allowed legal hours, where you can work on-campus or off-campus. It would also depend, if you choose 3-day a model or 5 day a model classroom (only valid for Master of Finance program). I don't know much of your profile and background study, so cannot comment on the job possibilities for you based on your profile. Also, you are now allowed to stay 18 months in Germany instead of earlier 12 months (1 year) post study to look for the job, in case you do not get placed by our campus. Moreover, you can also take up odd jobs to sustain your livelihood while searching for the right job based on your profile, which was not allowed earlier. This definitely makes Germany more attractive destination for international students, to study quality education and also to earn some money to recover their investments.

Yes, the career service do help in getting part-times jobs for students and also internships. That is exactly the job of career services. You can make between 10-11 Euros per hour, while working part-time on campus.
We recently shifted to a whole new website, and some glitched remains, the German page of career services is one of them. It will soon be converted into English language.

Not a problem, keep raising you queries and I would be more than happy to answer them. I would also like to know more about you? Are you based in India or in EU country?

Thanks,
Sumit Rai

Hi,

I have the link for the research and data which you have seen. If you like I can share it with you.

I would still request you to send me the link for this video which has been hated by so many people. I would really like to go deeper and understand the reason.

Are we talking about Master in Management (as new program)? This is indeed a new program offering by FS, with a clear focus in banking & manufacturing as specialization. We still have to assess how well this program get accepted in national & international students. Continue with your research, and I am happy that you bring so many issues to the forum, It will also be basis for other students to understand FS better.

You would require to pay close to Euro 1,000 for the 500 plus hours of German classes. This is not a part of curriculum and is offered to international students to help them build on their language skills. It is possible to take these German classes in parallel to the curriculum.

As an EU or International students, you are now allowed to work 120 days full-time instead of earlier 90 days. 20 hrs per week is the normal allowed legal hours, where you can work on-campus or off-campus. It would also depend, if you choose 3-day a model or 5 day a model classroom (only valid for Master of Finance program). I don't know much of your profile and background study, so cannot comment on the job possibilities for you based on your profile. Also, you are now allowed to stay 18 months in Germany instead of earlier 12 months (1 year) post study to look for the job, in case you do not get placed by our campus. Moreover, you can also take up odd jobs to sustain your livelihood while searching for the right job based on your profile, which was not allowed earlier. This definitely makes Germany more attractive destination for international students, to study quality education and also to earn some money to recover their investments.

Yes, the career service do help in getting part-times jobs for students and also internships. That is exactly the job of career services. You can make between 10-11 Euros per hour, while working part-time on campus.
We recently shifted to a whole new website, and some glitched remains, the German page of career services is one of them. It will soon be converted into English language.

Not a problem, keep raising you queries and I would be more than happy to answer them. I would also like to know more about you? Are you based in India or in EU country?

Thanks,
Sumit Rai

Hi,

Thanks,
Sumit Rai

Hey Sumit,
Links: Jubilumskonferenz@Frankfurt School of Finance & Management - YouTube
(DE) Frankfurt School of Finance & Management Overview - YouTube
Im based in EU, but this was the only good info about FS I found outside the uni website itself (like I said, Im using everything I can 😃 )
I am talking about the Master in Finance program. I wonder if I should work part time an do it for 4 semesters, or do it for 3 semesters without working (lets face it, If I do the intense track,there won't be time for work).
Therefore I need to have a close estimate of what I would earn in order to break-even with the 4 semester load compared to the 3 semester. The tuition cost would be about 9,000 more plus living costs. If I get a room paying 400/month plus utilities (about 80) + cooking and random expenses...would be about 800 monthly I think. Any idea how much finance students working outside campus are getting the least or avg? Also, you said the career services help new students find part time job off campus right? (besides helping to find full time after grad).

Thanks for all the answers by the way. You are doing a great job.

What up man, I'm not Indian so no attention for me any more 😃

Hey Sumit,
Links: Jubilumskonferenz@Frankfurt School of Finance & Management - YouTube
(DE) Frankfurt School of Finance & Management Overview - YouTube
Im based in EU, but this was the only good info about FS I found outside the uni website itself (like I said, Im using everything I can 😃 )
I am talking about the Master in Finance program. I wonder if I should work part time an do it for 4 semesters, or do it for 3 semesters without working (lets face it, If I do the intense track,there won't be time for work).
Therefore I need to have a close estimate of what I would earn in order to break-even with the 4 semester load compared to the 3 semester. The tuition cost would be about 9,000 more plus living costs. If I get a room paying 400/month plus utilities (about 80) + cooking and random expenses...would be about 800 monthly I think. Any idea how much finance students working outside campus are getting the least or avg? Also, you said the career services help new students find part time job off campus right? (besides helping to find full time after grad).

Thanks for all the answers by the way. You are doing a great job.

Hi,
I have submitted the link to my marketing department and await response.
Ok, master of finance is almost 15 years old program and got a very good history. So you can be rest assured about your career prospects after the program. Well, you are right about your estimated expense per monthan it is between 650-700 euros per month, and tends to vary depending on the life style. Usually, I would advice my students to go for 2 years of program rather than fast tracking to 16 months and putting themselves under lot of stress. When you go abroad, it is just not studies which you do. You experience lot of things, and when its Europe, it is living so many diversity at one time. This is difficult in 16 months. In your case, since you are EU citizen, the above does not apply. You can go for 16 months program, therby saving money on living expenses. You would find it hard to work part-time if chosen 16 months fast track program. As I suggested previously,Euro 10-11 is what you can expect working part-time per hour.

Yes, the career service department, does help student to find part-time jobs during the time of studies, apart from full-time opportunities, once the course is complete.

Kind regards,
Sumit Rai