[Official] MDI Gurgaon PGDM (Energy Management) 2013 Notification

The notification for Post-Graduate Diploma in Management (Energy Management) 2013 is out. You can see the notification here All your queries will be answered in this thread. Just one request that please dont ask repetitive questions and go t…

The notification for Post-Graduate Diploma in Management (Energy Management) 2013 is out. You can see the notification here

All your queries will be answered in this thread. Just one request that please dont ask repetitive questions and go through the thread before you click that POST button.

Eligibility Criteria:

1. A minimum of 3 years Bachelor's Degree or equivalent in any discipline recognized by AIU/AICTE as eligible for Post Graduate studies in Management.
  2. Minimum 5 years of post qualification executive work experience as on 31 March, 2013

Admission Procedure:

Candidates will have to

1. appear for CAT

Shortlisted candidates will have to appear for a Group Discussion followed by personal interview.

Application Form:

Available on Cash Payment of Rs. 1800/- (Mon-Fri, 10 am - 5pm) from:

1. Admission Office, MDI Campus, Gurgaon
  2. MDI Liaison Office, IFCI Tower, Nehru Place, New Delhi

Important dates

Availability of Application Form : 05th September 2012 to 10th Oct. 2012
Last Date for Submission of Physical & Online Filled-in Application Form : 10th Oct. 2012 (Upto 1700 Hours)

for further detail please visit www.mdi.ac.in
you can reach us at http://mdienergymanagement.blogspot.in/

Following are few FAQ may help you ... do let us know any further details require .....

Why is energy management gaining importance today?

Energy is one of the most important building blocks in human development, and, as such, acts as a key factor in determining the economic development of all countries. In an effort to meet the demands of a developing nation, the energy sector has witnessed a rapid growth.In previous decades the supply of domain specific Managers were less in this sector. Due to sudden growth in the sector and huge investments by the Indian Government and through public private partnership, demand for domain experts and executives having business acumen has increased many folds. The focus is not only restricted to power but also to Oil & Gas and other renewable and Non-renewable sources.These days €™ companies are looking forward to not only just run their business but also to run it energy efficiently by conserving energy, reducing wastage and shifting to greener technologies.

2 Why do you think a student should study energy management instead of a general

MBA?

With the growth of the energy sector, there is currently a huge deficit for Managers who imbibe in themselves a combination of good business skills along with domain specific knowledge. The accelerated rate at which the Energy Sector has grown needs to be supported with talented workforce. The Energy sector also seems to be a

lucrative sector for the companies as there is scope of huge returns. Hence it is not surprising to see several companies having a separate workforce to cater to the needs of this sector. If we take India as an example, growth has been the highest in the energy sector in 2011.Management Development Institute (MDI), Gurgaon, runs a specialized program in Energy management for Executives from the Energy Sector. The courses taught here range from a wide array of general management subjects such as Marketing management, Micro- and macro- economics, Corporate Finance, Business Strategy, Organizational behavior , Research methods etc to courses specific to impart knowledge about the Energy Sector , both in the Indian and global context. The Institute has been successfully running this specialized course for the past few years and is being viewed as having great potential in the near future by both

industrialists and the students.

3 What are the career prospects after the MBA in energy management? What sectors

can they work in?

The students are usually positioned at the Mid- management level and are gradually groomed to hold top positions in the company. The requirement for selection process calls for minimum 5 years of experience. They can go back to the same profile up in the ladder. However it has been seen that all sectors such as Information

Technology, Consulting, and Banking for project finance are having a separate workforce to cater to the needs of this sector. Hence students have choice to choose any sector as a domain expert.

4 What is the primary focus of your Energy Management program?

Energy sector in India is passing through critical times. India €™s growth aspiration

could be severely affected due to constraints in energy supply. Keeping in mind the

burgeoning demand-supply gap in an energy starved nation like India, which is

further distorted by wasteful management practices, there is an immense investment

scope in energy infrastructure and energy management in an environmental friendly manner. MDI became the pioneer by launching a program to train professionals in the areas of energy management. This program was launched in 2005 to address these issues with the help of USAID and Ministry of Power. The program develops your skills and abilities to apply management theories and concepts to live problems in the field of the energy as well as address old and contemporary issues in this field .Over the last year its domain has been broadened from power to other spheres of energy namely oil & gas, coal, carbon market, energy efficiency etc.

I got following Quarries were raised by someone ... i think it will help to others as well

a) is that you r refering to the intake of students from these domain of urs batch?
b) or curriculum of energy management has been expanded to these domain?
c) or companies from these domain r coming for campus recruitment?

Please find my reply as below :
a) Yes we have 5 people from oil & Gas Industry ....
b) Yes this time in electives petroleum Management have been included ... there is a paper on coal as well .... in future there are plans to further increase Oil & Gas subjects .
c) Yes Companies from these Domains will also visit . We have industry day in January,where Half day is given for Oil&Gas; .

In my batch most of Oil & Gas students are targeting Consulting as next Job option ...
there are few who wants to go to Operation for them will call Oil companies .

This year MDI has changed the admission process . The Admission will be through CAT exam . there will be No GMAT or no MDI test ... so Please write CAT

Hi Sanjeev,
I have been offered admission to the Energy Management course. I am bit skeptical in joining as the course fee is 11.5 Lakhs.

Please help clear some doubts:

1. Do we have subjects pertaining to Oil and Gas as well,
2. What kind of profiles/companies visit for placement,
3. What is the lowest/highest package offered.

Regards,
Ankit
Hi Sanjeev,
I have been offered admission to the Energy Management course. I am bit skeptical in joining as the course fee is 11.5 Lakhs.

Please help clear some doubts:

1. Do we have subjects pertaining to Oil and Gas as well,
2. What kind of profiles/companies visit for placement,
3. What is the lowest/highest package offered.

Regards,
Ankit

Hi Ankit,

Congratulation for the offer.
Here at MDI. The NMP ( 1 year general MBA ) & Energy Management share the same class and for specialization EM has to take 7 papers from Energy same as general MBA has to take in any of their specializations.

Almost all Companies has its Energy & Utilities Division so i believe one gets an extra edge in energy Management . I believe 11.5 L is very reasonable Fee as compared to any other 1 year program in India .

Also keep in mind that post MBA for your Job 60% contribution would be for your Industry experience & balance your MBA skills .

Energy papers always consider Oil & Gas Macro picture in discussion . even we has 1 petroleum paper .

Till last batch there were very few self sponsored candidates . All who were needed placement are placed in Consulting and energy companies . The nos were very small and people placed from 10 L to 20 L range . This year college has appointed a placement committee. Placement process is On exact fig. you would come to know may be by the end of Feb.

Just dont Join MBA on the basis of Placement, you would have good learning and better long term future . MDI have real good faculties .

Good Luck

Hi Sanjeev

I am looking forward to apply for PGDM(EM) this year.However I am not able to get much details regarding this course.
1. Can you provide details regarding the same like in today market scenario as energy sector is going through tough time, how much this course is recognized by industry.
2. What about placement statistics , no information is available on MDI website for the any of the EM batch passout.
3. Which companies has recruited for 2013 batch and what profiles being offered.
4. how much was the Min/Avg/Max. package offered to the last batch.

Regards
Ravish