[Official] CAT 2012 18th October Discussion Thread.

Puyz & Pirlz, Wishing everyone best of luck for CAT 2012!! People who are taking the exam today, please use this thread for the discussions. To assure that the thread is put to the best use, please post your CAT 2012 experience in the f…

Puyz & Pirlz,

Wishing everyone best of luck for CAT 2012!!
People who are taking the exam today, please use this thread for the discussions.
To assure that the thread is put to the best use, please post your CAT 2012 experience in the following format :

CAT Centre, Date and Slot:

1) How many attempts you have made?

2) Your last mock score? If you are there at repository thread (
www.pagalguy.com/forums/cat-an... ) please provide the link here.

3) How was your experience of the test?

4) What was the surprise element for you?

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better?

6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, new topics, sections etc.

7) Any other query or something you would like to share.

Any post on this thread, not following the format OR any post trying to mislead will be deleted.

Very Important :-
While discussing, please follow the Disclaimers Regarding conduct of CAT strictly. Anyone found violating will be summarily banned and in case of any enquiry pagalguy.com will cooperate with the investigating authorities.
Also, if you want to ask any query to any of the users who has taken the test, please PM him/her.
Incase it cannot be done, please post your query on this thread:
www.pagalguy.com/forums/cat-an...
Let this thread be only for the experiences of the people who are taking CAT today.
If someone feels that something needs to be added, you can edit your original post.
Also, please avoid making long quotes while posting.
Request all the MadCapz, the Oldies and all Puys to help the moderators as much as possible in the coming days to maintain the sanctity of discussions. Feel free to report any case of misleading people.
Please make sure that multiple threads are not created, meaningless posts are at minimum and we help out as many users as possible.

Cheers,
Never Back Down.
CAT Centre, Date and Slot: Spanning tree n/w solutions, Cochin. 18th October 10am slot

QA/DI - 21-22
VA/LR - 22
2) Your last mock score?
Out of the 20 AIMCATs, got 90+ in 2 , 2 of them in the 70s and rest between 80 and 90
Smooth.
RC !!!!
Guess everyone is familiar with it now.
Section 1 was easier than most of the Aimcats . Around 4-6 sitters in quant and around 7 were solvable given around 5mins. Few questions combining different sections. 2 sets of DI on tables and was easy. 1 table per question with just 3 columns and just 2 digit numbers in them. Could solve it within 7-8mins. One DI set on venn diagrams which was tough but solvable with more time.

Section 2- Verbal-really difficult. There were absolutely no easy questions. PJ, FIB, Correct usage, everything was difficult. 3 RCs. One was ok. One was on medical+philosophical. And the last one was philosophical+a small poem(Didn't attempt the whole set)
LR. 3 sets. 1 easy. 1 medium and 1 difficult. Starting from the options was the best way to approach. (Many cases to draw when we consider only the given information)
There was a question with trignometry+functions
There was another question in which they gave us the trignometric formulas and asked us to solve. Still i couldn't do it.
Just 2 questions from geometry. No questions from log,mensuration,Time and work,ratios,progressions, number systems,graphs,probability.
Had lots from number theory.

I don't remember the exact break-up. It was something like this.
DI - 9 (6 on tables and 3 from venn diagram)
Trignometry - 2 (By trignometry, i mean sin,cos,tan etc)
Function - 1 (It also had trignometry)
Geometry - 2 (By geometry, i mean circles, angles etc)
Time and distance- 1
Combination - 1
Equations - 3
Surds - 1
Sets - 1
Averages - 2
Coordinate geometry - 1 (lines and equations)
Number theory - 6

P.S. I was kind of slow in section 1 because i was tensed. Took me around 20mins to get into rhythm. If this was a mock, i would say that most the people good in section 1 can attempt around 27-30. PM me if you have any doubts. But please don't ask me the answer to any of the questions. (I usually lose marks when i discuss the paper )

Have fun guys and all the best

@sahilKM said:
HEy that was preety quick on your part to post your experience ...
and don't mind me asking - Is this experience(post) real??????
that was indeed quick...maybe he posted from the centre itself
@seetharam7 said:
CAT Centre, Date and Slot: Spanning tree n/w solutions, Cochin. 18th October 10am slot
Hey whts d fifference btwn no. system nd no. theory...
u said no number system nd lots of number theory....:P
@seetharam7
@bemad Number system is the one with bases. Base 2,3 etc. Number theory is based on remainders, factors etc

@seetharam7
Number system is the one with bases. Base 2,3 etc. Number theory is based on remainders, factors etc
ok bro...thanks....
i thng v missed d d remainers and factors s fr d first 5 days...finally v witnessed dem...;)
wht was d level of difficulty fr dose qs nd hw many qs approx?
Panacea Testing Centre, Mayapuri, New Delhi
18th Oct 2012, 10 AM Slot

Section 1 - 21
Section 2 - 28

2) Your last mock score?
Early to Mid 90s in CL mocks.

Pretty smooth, except a one min powercut, in which we had to depend on monitor screens for light

No surprise elements except no Time and Work questions. Contrary to the post above, there were a couple of questions from Ratios and progressions.

None

Section - 1
QA was solvable. I played it safe by spending more time on the questions i was close to solving, hence did not look at the last 2 questions.
DI set on Venn Diagrams was difficult, but other DI sets were not calculation intensive at all. Simple Ratio and percentage based.
Some questions could be solved by plugging in the options.
I would consider this section to moderate in difficulty as some quant questions were not simple.
Sitters - 5-8

Section - 2
I decided to finish off all LR questions first in this section, 9 questions in 3 sets, pretty simple.
I'd say that all 3 could be solved in 15 mins.
The RC's were not very simple. The two questions I left out in this section were from the RCs.
The Para-completions were made easy by the options and fill in the blanks were relatively simple. Knowing root words would have helped here.
Spot the gramatically correct sentences formed what remained in this section. Also, I was left with almost extra 15 mins after i was done with this section.

Keep an eye out for the time in Section 1, runs out too fast.
QA/DI -24
Verbal/LR -25

2) Your last mock score?
around 90s in AIMCATS

was simple and smooth

RCs and sets

none
I agree with Seetharam, Quants and DI section was decent, few easy questions, few tricky, few lengthy.. overall time management is important.. DI 1 question had lot of calculations and options were too close to approximate..
NO PnC, no probabilty, no time and distake or speed and time, no factors reminders.
lot of functions, logarithms and few coordinate geometry :-/

section2 was tough, none of the verbal questions were easy, 1 RC was tough, 1 moderate and other too lengthy. consumed most of the time.
in LR, 9 questions were sitters. one was tough.
PJ,FIB, PC were moderate to tough.. overall verball was tough section

time management is the key..
CAT Centre, Date and Slot: prometric hyderabad, 18th october, mrng slot
QADI - 21 ( should have definitely attempted more )
VALR - 24 ( hoping for atleast 75% accuracy here )

2) Your last mock score? If you are there at repository thread (
www.pagalguy.com/forums/cat-an... ) please provide the link here.
Didnt post in the thread.. My percentile's fall in between 85-95 in CL mocks
smooth and comfortable :)

VA very difficult

Nothing

quant was easy to moderate with 4-5 tuff questions
1 set of LR was very difficult, manged to solve it but wasted a lot of time ( spent 40 mins only for LR ) and verbal became a nightmare from then on attempted 2 RC's felt 1 was easy 😃 . Attempted 2 sets of DI, 3rd set was also doable and its on venn diagrams I wasted my time here solved the problem but later realized that I flunked somewhere in between so couldn't get to the answer I would say people good in QADI can attempt around 25-26.
And verbal ____/\_____
@seetharam7 Really a nice & brief explanation by u... Thnx. May God bless me for tomorrow

venn diagrams waale questions 4 venn diagram aaye ya 3 waale...suna hai is baar 4 waale b aa rahe hai

Does all of them have the same question ??
I mean in a particular session will the questions be same to all or each one will have a different set ?

CAT centre Date And Slot: TIT,Bhopal ,morning slot.

QADI 12(1 wrong)(should have attempted atleast 15-16)
VALR 23(max 2-3 wrong)

everything else pertaining to the centre and process was smooth

MY Analysis:
QA

After reading the above posts i can definitely say that the question paper differs from centre to centre.In my case QA was tough.i felt few Q's were undoable under exam circumstances(4-5 Q's), rest were moderate to tough.In DI one was venn diagram based,one was a pie chart with very complex data and the other was a simple table based set. venn diagram wala set to koi expert banda hi kar sakta tha. Table wala set was easy and the pie chart question was solvable but data samajhne k liye needed a cool head. Anyways solved only 2 ques out of the 10 in DI. Also ,Q's from probability, pnc, remainders,factors,progressions,trigonomery,geometry,TSD, made there presence felt.also there were quite a few questions from set theory(just by looking at these questions with their notations made me nervous.)

VALR

well this was easy,he entire english usage section was super easy.No ambiguous answers,no close options.they were like extremely simple.
RC's ...there were 3 of them.2 were moderate and one was tough...it was better left unsolved.
In LR 2 moderate one tough.

overall it was a tough paper(similar to those AIMCATS in which the overall cut off is around 110)

Any bangalorian who gave test???

@supro2 Thank u !! just to confirm !
IFIM , Bangalore ! Morning Slot.

QA-18
VA-24

QA was tougher !
No PnC But 6 Geometry time consuming !
LR were too easy !
In VA, one of the passage was tough !

Question more than 50 % differs from person to person! Confirmed with my Friends who took test along with me !

CAT Centre: NSHM Kolkata
1) attempts : QA 28( expecting atleast 26 correct)
VA 25( sure of LR, baki bhagwan bharose)
2)Mock scores: Ranged in 99.7+ in some and in early 99s in some...got below 90 in one.. :P
3)Test was smooth, nothing to get worried about( bas AC ka temp thoda badhana chahiyetha)
4)Surprise element was LR....i didnt expect such tough LRs after seeing people get easy ones in the previous days)
5)LOL, ab kya hi tip doon...exactly same as any mock
6) Analysis:

Section-1: Tough section...some questions were going tangent, took a lot of time to comprehend...geometry mein diagram nahi diya yaar...1 PnC...4-5 Geometry + Trigonometry...3-4 from coordinate geometry...1 from number system if u can call it that way...nothing from arithmetic...the trick is to be as calm as possible..my paper didnt contain a single sitter...all were time consuming...DI sets were easy, i mean not calculative but time consuming...set theory had 6 questions with an entire DI set...overall, i am happy with my performance here, provided i get atleast 26-27 correct)..once again, just one suggestion..."BE CALM", my first question was a geometry question which i couldnt grasp after spending 3 mins...but solved it in the end when i had the flow...so first attempt those questions which u feel are easy

Section-2: Super tough section..dont even know if i can clear cutoff...very scared...i thought i would finish LR in 15-20mins, but LR ne le li...one set was common....i had solved a similar question previously....so usmein time nahi laga...the other two were very tricky and time consuming...LR took 30 mins...RCs were lengthy, but easy to read, but again with very tricky questions....so was VA, with very close options...3 PC, 3PJ, 2 WU, 2FIB...and every question had 2 options which could be eliminated...but had a lot of trouble to pick the right one...so not sure in this section...

Overall, i dont see this CAT similar to mock questions...keeping fingers crossed for a good percentile...but for now...its DURGA PUJA!!!!! enjoy...and ATB

@Harmeet89
@Harmeet89 wat happnd mate.. do share your experience.

GAT, Bangalore

Previous Mocks: mid 90s

QA - 27
VA - 28

Everything smooth and fine.

Quanta:
Surprises: no PnC n work time :o
QA was super easy, but actually few questions on geometry and venn diags ate up all my time.
All in all a doable section, with 6-8 sitters giving you ample amount of time to solve the tough ones.
Tips: Select 2 easy out of 3 DI's and leave the tough for end.
Level: medium

Verbs and LR:
LR was simple. one of the RC was , really tough. thats where i left two questions.
rest everything was easy.
Level: tough

Forgot to mention,
i inquired with my friends, most of the questions in quant section were different. Dont know how they gonna scale the final score