Oct-2011 GMAT takers

Hi All, I am starting this thread for the discussion of the people who are taking GMAT in OCT 2011. :wink: We can share questions :: , strategies :: and experience of the people who have taken GMAT recently… :: So please pour in all…

Hi All,

I am starting this thread for the discussion of the people who are taking GMAT in OCT 2011. ;)
We can share questions , strategies and experience of the people who have taken GMAT recently....

So please pour in all thoughts....

I will start with a good question...

If 42.42 =
k(14 + m/50), where k and m are positive integers and m k + m ?
(A) 6
(B) 7
(C) 8
(D) 9
(E) 10

IMO E
wats d OA?

My exam date is 29th Oct...
Hope to get good input from recent test takers..
Also Check interview of d guy from GMAC..He confirms that SC is now more related to meaning of the sentence than to IDIOMS and stuff..

Hi,
Can anyone pls suggest what are the 5 options (colgs' Applications) available if one gives GMAT in late Oct'11.. : ???? I don't have any idea about the colleges/Univs..

I have a query. Does one needs to appear for TOEFL as well if one plans for applying to foreign universities. I know ISB does not require it unless one has studied in non-English medium.

I will start with a good question...

If 42.42 =
k(14 + m/50), where k and m are positive integers and m
k

+ m ?
(A) 6
(B) 7
(C) 8
(D) 9
(E) 10

I think answer is 10. Please confirm.

ANSWER - (E)

Simplifying the equation -
2121 = k(700 +m)

Let 700+m = n
That means kn = 2121
The product of k and n should have a units digit of 1
The number values whose products have a units digit of 1 are 1x1, 3x7, 9x9 , 11x11
but 9+9 = 18 and 11 +11=22 are not in the options. And neither is 1+1 =2
therefore the digits are 3 and 7. therefore 3+7 =10

Ans 1s 10 ;)....

Any experience from the people who recently gave GMAT...

PratM Says
Any experience from the people who recently gave GMAT...

What would you like to know? I gave my GMAT on 6th Sept.

Hi Priyadarsh! Could u pls suggest how wud we justify that one has studied in non-English medium?? As it should be written from the Colg/Univ authority or in other way??

I am giving GMAT on 3rd Oct 2011..
Fingers crossed

@Sausi007 - : If you could shed light on kind of SC Qs you got..I mean i knw they are more meaning based but were they similar to OG or other prep material or all together a diff thing..and rumors have been around that maths is much more tougher now ..Also if you could compare OG Vs Real Gmat..I knw there are many posts floating around reg this topic but input from recent test taker would be very useful...Thanks in advance

@Way2ashish: All the best...do share your exp and hope u ace it..

@Sausi007 - : If you could shed light on kind of SC Qs you got..I mean i knw they are more meaning based but were they similar to OG or other prep material or all together a diff thing..and rumors have been around that maths is much more tougher now ..Also if you could compare OG Vs Real Gmat..I knw there are many posts floating around reg this topic but input from recent test taker would be very useful...Thanks in advance

@Way2ashish: All the best...do share your exp and hope u ace it..

First of all, ATB to Way2ashish, crack the GMAT and get on to the real deal of apping :)

Himanshu, In my opinion its a mistake that a lot of test takers are doing now, speculating on the change in pattern. Till GMAC comes out and tells that they have changed the pattern, there is no reason for us to believe such rumours.

Changes might have already happened long time back, as Stacey(from MGMAT) posted in her blog, the American-centric Idioms have been largely removed, but this most probably has been happening for quite some time, so no need to panic or worry about that.

As for the meaning part, I think SC has always been based more on meaning, even OG has questions where out of 2 grammatically correct options, the one with the intended, correct meaning has been chosen as the right answer.

Coming to my experience, I think that the best bet for VA section is OG12 and the Verbal review. There is no substitute to the questions appearing in these books. Period.

The GMATPrep is the nearest any practice test will ever be to the real deal, both, in terms of the interface and also in terms of the difficulty level of questions.

As for QA, we all know that the OG's have been a little deficient in the 700-800 level questions, so maybe a little more practice and open mind on the G-Day should serve you well.

I dont know whether the level of questions has changed wrt the past because this was my first (and hopefully the last) attempt at GMAT. But one thing is certain, if you can minimise the silly mistakes and keep your cool, 49-50 should not be a problem.

Thanks Sausi..
About RC passages were they long ones or short ones..Bcoz in GMAT prep mostly I got 3 Short passages and 1 long one...But in other test materials I get all long passages which actually affects my verbal score...RC being my weakest link
Also in GMAT prep they are in paragraph format and on other tests they are in Line no. format...how was it on real GMAT?? Bcoz I read smwr on Manhanttan forum that GMAT doesn't use line no. format anymore. The reason I am asking this is coz I donno but somhw I m more comfortable with paragraph format...My reading speed and comprehension bcoms much better wen I solve a paragraph format...(I knw that sounds weird)

Hi Puys,
I'm into last 7 days before my GMAT exam.Could you please tell me how to go about it.What should I do specifically to maximize my score.

@Don20037: I make notes of all the mistakes(silly ones specially and also why I got the ans wrong and what I cud have done to get the right ans). So my plan is to go through them during the last week...I dun think u can learn anything new or improve drastically in 7 days..So jss go thru whatever u have solved and try and analyze y U got it wrong...If u dun have any log of all the mistakes that u'v done..I wud recommend Solve GMAT Prep over and over again until u get everything right...And dont jss review incorrect ones..review the correct ones also sometimes we do get stuck b/w 2 options and end up guessing 1 of them..so see why the other optn wasnt the right ans...For Quant check for Q's U took more than 2 min(GMAT prep doesn't provide this..U wud need a stop watch or while solving jss make note of such Q) and analyze how can U solve this in Q in less than 2 mins..

apart frm revising my previous problems..I was thinking of writing one manhattan test daily..just to keep myself in practice and ready for the Dday..

what's your take on that?